Call design copying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyTebbe

I know that all predator calls are based off of a similar design. It's been that way over the course of history.

I, like most guys, always check out what's selling on eBay. I've noticed a pattern of calls that are being designed and sold that are spitting images or "direct copies" of call designs by some of our best call builders that hang out on PM. In the past few weeks, I've seen THO copies, ArkyYoter copies, Bearmanric copies, Dogwood Creek Yelper copies, and others.

I'm glad we, as PM call builders, have respect for each other and appreciate the hard work it takes for a builder to come up with their own call design.

Just venting, yet complimenting our PM custom call builders at the same time....Tony

Figured I'd save you guys some time. This is what happens to be selling on eBay...today. I've seen quite a bit more in the past couple of months.

THO??
ca_1_sbl.JPG

I helped Joe design his new Screamin' Demon body design. The left call is identical to it.
e2_1.JPG

I was totally impressed with RJ's yelper design. This looks identical.
8d_1_sbl.JPG

Rick has a line of springbok horn calls/howlers. I built on last spring and am sitting on 10 such horns and not building out of respect for him. Here's a direct copy...
fa_1_sbl.JPG

Is this a TT toneboard protector idea?
6f_1_sbl.JPG

Might just be coincident, or I'm just in a grouchy mood today... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

Actually, he is a registered member here on Predator Masters. He knows who he is. I hope he sees this thread.

If you want to see a good one, there is a guy on Custom Calls forum who copied one of my crow calls right down to the placement of the burnt accent lines.

The problem is not one of copying others work, it having to deal with people who have no class. Or honor.

Al
THO Game Calls

I've seen a lot of the custom makers being born and start from scratch and whittle out a batch of calls that looked like a wide assortment of body styles.
They are usually close enough in style to get the point across that the fellow was trying to duplicate or be consistent, but still they varied enough to bleed the genuine authenticity that oozed from them.

Unless someone is running cnc, I don't know how you guys replicate your calls the way do, but I agree the differences are so distinct, they have YOU written all over them. That's actually a good thing.

Tony,

Hopefully people know the difference. Ive purchased several call in the past couple months (All from the guys Here).I almost feel obligated given the fact that 99.9 percent of the information on varmit hunting came from the dedicated members on this forum. The calls I bought were of the highest Quality and will serve me well for many, many years.
Its to bad people are trying to make a buck on other people's ideas. I for one will continue to patronize you guys.

Thanks for all the info and for all my great calls!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

Well I agree with the respect thing and any custom calls I BUY will come from the makers on this forum I think every one of you guys have talent that others only dream about (obvious from looking at those pics) this is the only hunting forum I go to (have looked at others they don't compare in my opinion) this is the best one out there as far as I'm concerned therefor the call makers here get my vote and support. You guys all do a great job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, my hats off to each and every one of you . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
Bowjunkie

Yes i noticed the call's. Tony you can make the springbok call's any time. i love my cocabola bear call's. but wont make them this year look simaler to Rhino call's. there different but are like them. wish i could get the amount the person is getting. Right now i'm playing with antler call's.cant copy that two much. Rick

bowjunkie and grunter
that's a little simple minded. there are many great call makers out there that don't sell their calls here. for their own reasons they choose not to be HOB members. if you want to live in the shadow of predator masters and not look to the "outside world" you are missing out on a lot of good calls and callmakers. callmakers who have been out there making calls for 15-20 yrs. or longer.
the copying is crap. hopefully those in the know will not patronize them.

My Mom always told me "If you have nothing good to say, dont say nothing"

Simple Minded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

smither's nock it off. there is no reason to treat fellow member's that way. Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
I buy all my calls here, for the same reason, I am not simple minded, in fact I have difficulty figuring my mind out most of the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3rd Alarm

I dont care to let this thread run but make sure it stays to the good side, these type of threads have a habit of turning south!

Brent

I am behind you 100%. Yes I make a few calls, but mine are not to sell or copy. I give afew away to the ones I know will appreciate them.

I wish I could say how good the calls are by the guys who make them on this site, but I cant....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Because I DONT have any YET. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
I have one from Timbertoes and Mark Zepp on the way that I won in the Feb. HOM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have a pair on order from Arkyyoter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I have another one on order from Timbertoes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
and yet another from Seeinspots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I cant wait until I can finally wrap my hands around them and see just what everyone is talking about.

Next on the hit list are TTebbe, Bearmanric, THO, and HuntnCarve just to name a few. By the time I am done I will have at least a couple from each.(one of my new hobbies, collecting calls)

I am Turkey hunting for the first time this spring so my next orders will be from those that make turkey calls. So if you have any post them up so I can take a look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PS awormiedog, if you have one you want to add to my collection I would proudly add it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
This is a thread that brings me mixed emotions. The first thing that comes to mind is " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". On the flip side is that all the calls that have ever been made through the history of making calls, is there a shape that has not been made already? Certain shapes seem to be pleasing to the eye and comfortable in the hand regardless of who you are. If two call makers make calls of similar design, it is possible that one copied from the other but is also possible that they arrived at similar designs independantly. It is also very possible that with our capitalistic society that some one copied anothers successfull design for pure profit regardless of wether that design was copyrighted or not. Who here has taken the time to copyright their design. If not, it's a matter of public domain. Like it or not the person doing the copying may be considered unethical, but in the eyes of the law they have done nothing wrong. Bill Gates is the master of this kind of thinking and look where it got him. I do not condone the copying of some one elses design, but I understand it. I made a lot of calls before I came up with some shapes I have stuck with. Early on I sent out calls to some people for their evaluation. One person told me that my call reminded him of a Walt Betts call. I have never seen a Walt Betts call. Other shapes I use look similar to shapes of other peoples calls. This is not an attempt to hijack some ones style, but rather an attempt to use design elements that I found pleasing. I think that one should feel flattered that their work is worthy of being copied or take steps to protect their design. If your not able to do either one of these things, then you'd better learn to shrug it off or it's gonna drive you nuts. I turn calls for my enjoyment and relaxation. I kind of envy you guys whose work is so highly regarded as to be pirated. Forgers try to copy the work of the old masters, not the guys drawing for a few bucks at the park or the local craft show. I hope I have not offended anyone as this is not my intent AS I said I have mixed feeling about it......Dale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

stoney15 take a look at Brad H's howlers. I just recieved one and all I can say is, wow simply amazing!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stoney.....it is a long wait even if it is a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But well worth it, I have at least one call from most of the makers you listed, all I will say is hang on buddy. The first call I got in the mail was from ArkyYoter, man were my lips sore from blowen that call for the next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nothen But great call makers on this site for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif,

3rd Alarm

Quote:
Might just be coincident, or I'm just in a grouchy mood today

Could be a little of both Tony, but understandable.

Smithers is not far from the truth. Theres only so many things ya can do with calls, and there are way more call makers off the boards then there are on, and most of them had been at it for years. Probably wouldn't be to hard to find a few that are similiar to the calls your all spinning today, that were spun before the big internet boom.

The other issue is......if you come up with something that is working, others will try to create it.

Matter fact its so crazy now a days, that if the call is not marked its kind of hard to say who spun it. Thats why marking is so important.

Another look: What more can you do with a cow horn howler? And who have you all copied from? To me they are pretty much the same, except a few call makers have unique flares that ID's the howlers as theirs. Food for thought.

Be safe,
Todd

PS. Well said Dale!!!

Since this seems to be a personal attack on me I feel it is only right the you go to my store and make a fair and balanced decision. My store is at (Edit by keekee please see terms of service for posting web address.) I had hoped to sell some of my calls here and really wanted to fit in but I can see that might be difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here is my take on this. I don't know if what I have been doing is what you have been talking about or not.

Al and others have posted links to pictures of peoples collections. They were fancy duck calls mostly. They were posted as inspiration to us novice call turners. I printed out the calls that I really like the style and shape.

The next thing I did was try to turn calls that were shaped like the ones I like. Not exact duplicates just shaped like I liked. I wanted them to fit in my hand nice. While trying to teach my son how to turn a call, I told him that what I am thinking about while turning is, trying to get the shape of a fancy/arty perfume bottles or a kids toy top.

I will admit that Al and I have the same taste in the shape of our calls. Since Al was making calls and selling them here, does that mean I have to come up with some other shape? I haven't settled on any one design. I want to have to option to turn what I feel at moment I step up to the lathe.

For the last few weeks I have been too busy to work in my shop. But the wheels have been turning. I have a new design I have been thinking on. I just need to get to work on it. I will be ordering some things I need today.

I turned the heaters on this morning in my shop. I am planing on turning some calls tonight.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back