Got my first double on Saturday....

K-22hornet.

Time: 1:30 PM
Weather: Sunny, 60ish, light breeze from the South
Rifle: Sako Vixen 222RemMag, 50Nosler BT
Coyote #1 pops over a small rise about 200yds out, slightly NE of my position (I am facing N), he starts to go W to get downwind of me, but stops and looks E. I would take him now, but he is screened by a Yucca plant. He keeps looking E, so I look and here comes #2 at a full run, maybe 400yds out. #2 runs up to #1. I have both in the scope now, and #1 come out from behind the Yucca and stops. Bang-flop. #2 is about 15ft away, turns around to look at #1, and just before I squeeze the trigger, I see #1 get up and start to limp over the rise. #2 starts to trot after him and I shoot, hitting #2 in the neck. #1 makes it over the top of the rise before I can shoot again. Could not find #1, but #2 is DOA. I think I hit #1 on the front shoulder ball joint.

2 sets later, I get one coming in at a full run. I drop my shooting sticks while swinging into position. He, or course, sees/hears this, comes to a full stop and I shoot off-hand at 75yds and miss. Have you ever seen anything run as fast as a coyote that has been shot at and missed?

Back