Savage Model 11 Replacement Stock

deadeyerichard

Hey all. I bought a package set up in a Savage model 11FXP3 in .300 WSM as a loaner rifle for friends and family. The only problem I have is the stock is really flimsy. I think I could slap a boiled noodle on the side and stiffen it up a little. Does anybody know about replacement stocks for this particular model. I googled it and did a search here on PM but couldn't find anything for this particular model. Does anyone make a replacement for the model 11fxp3?

This topic was discussed with numerous links listed on the following thread about 4 pages ago:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=2#52273372

Basically any short action Savage stock for a 10,11,12,14,16 will work. If it came from a varmint weight barrel it will have the wide barrel channel, otherwise any 2 digit model stock fits a short action. There are numerous take off wood/synthetic stocks listed on ebay as well.

I personally like Boyd's target/varmint ($80)if you want to do some sanding. They come finished for about 160 when they have them. Another option on the synthetic stock is to stiffen the forend with a fiberglass bedding compound.

On the model number the FXP3 means nothing regarding which stock will fit the action.

Have you tried shooting it yet? I've got the same model in .223 and it shoots quite well. I thought the stock was pretty flimsy also. I don't use a sling with it though.

AWS

Thanks for the help. I somehow missed the above link. I'm glad to hear I can beef up the stock a little. I have shot the gun and it grouped terribly. I shimmed it up with some plastic pieces from my wifes craft junk. I basically just shoved a whole bunch of skinny pieces of plastic under the barrel and tried to cinch it down tight. I shot it after that and was getting sub MOA groups. That's why I want to get a new stock, I know the gun is a shooter.

I am a little suprised that it shot that good if you shimmed under the barrel unless it is very close to the action. Most Savages are not bedded under the barrel, but if it stopped the action slop it surely helped. I am attaching a link to one of the top Savage shops bedding directions. It is not all that hard to do and makes a world of difference in many guns. The trick is that the only places to the stock should be the action right around the two action screws. The tang and forward of the lug should be floated. Other brands of guns are a little different based on where the screws pull the action against the stock.

http://www.savageshooters.net/Articles/Bedding101.html

Back