Change of Luck (long story with pic)

1S1K

I've finally put everything I've learned here to use. I've got Byron's videos, Texas Predator Pursuit's videos, hunted with Pyledriver, and Yellowhammer. I honestly have to say, I've picked up a little from each of these sources.
Two weeks ago I went to a buddy's house. He's been trying to get me to come do some calling because he sees yotes all of the time in his yard. He got his kids a beagle pup for Christmas and while I was there one day he let the pup go outside to do his thing. I noticed no one watched the puppy while it was outside, and they don't have a fenced in yard. I thought to myself "you might as well throw a T-bone out the back door and ring the dinner bell". This guy lives in one of those sub-divisions on the edge of town, which is actually out in the "county". Only problem is most of it has houses around. So anyway, we decided to make a couple of stands and see what happened. He's a deer hunter, and thought coyotes were stupid. He learned real quick how tough they are to trick. We had one on our first stand circle down wind about 100 yards out. I had the AR, and he had a shotgun. I saw it through the brush for only a split second, and it disappeared. We moved to another property, and there was someone there already. He took me to an area where there is a lot of illegal dumping. While we were watching some deer we jumped, a yote comes flying in behind him. I made a hurried shot and missed. It had come from across a fence. I went home, pulled up an aerial photo, and found the road that led into the place on the other side of the fence. As soon as I got a chance, I went buy and left a card on the gate. That led to getting permission to hunt close to 700 acres.
I tried to round up some help yesterday to hunt this place last night. I'm not set up for night hunting. Pyledriver couldn't make it, and I couldn't get ahold of another guy that has a rack in the back of his truck. I stayed home and decided to hit it this morning.
I woke up to a "Fog Advisery" and wasn't sure what that was going to do to my plan. I set up just across the fence from the dump area I mentioned earlier. As I was putting my decoy stake in the ground, it slid in easily and stood firmly in place. (This was a welcomed change, because we haven't had much rain until recently) I started getting giddy and thought "this is going to be good". I backed off from the decoy about 30 yards kinda down and across the wind, which was only 4mph (another welcomed change) when I left the house. I put the Foxpro in a tree (Byron South tip) and played the cottontail distress #1. I failed to get my stopwatch started, but at about 3 minutes I look at the fence row (about 20 yards in front of me) and a yote is coming straight towards me, with his eyes locked on me. I can't move. The AR is pointing just to the left of there towards the call. At about ten yards, the yote turns toward the call. I click off the safety, and you would think someone hit that yote with a cattle prod! He takes off through the mesquite, up wind. I let the call keep playing, 'cause the gig ain't up yet. I couldn't get a shot, and he changes direction to head back down wind. I watched as he moved down wind, then hit MACH II as he caught my scent.
Kicking my self for not having the shotgun ready, I let the call continue to play. Afterall, it's only been a few minutes. At right at 10 minutes, I see another yote heading down the fenceline. This one is not right in my lap when I see him. He gets my wind (I guess the wind must have been swirling a little) and runs out into a wheat field. I keep the scope on him as best I can through the brush, then it stopped, turned and looked back at me. Anyone that knows me very well, knows I suck at judging distance. Thinking the yote is way past 100 yds, I hold a little high and squeeze off a round. For the first time, I heard the thud of my own bullet hitting a target. It sounded like a solid hit, but I couldn't see anything, but I also didn't see anything run off. After letting the call continue to play for a few more minutes, I decided to go take a look. When I got to the fence I could see her laying there. When I got to her I found I had hit her right in the computer and she dropped right there in her tracks. I used my GPS to measure the distance at 140 yds. Probably the longest shot I've ever taken at anything, and definitely the longest I ever connected on. I like the close easy ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I tried two more stands, but between the 2nd and 3rd I ran into a survey crew, so I knew I might as well leave and come back another day.
100_10690.JPG

click image for details

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Allright Tim! I'm glad you finally had a change of luck. Sometimes I think it is just getting in there with thme. I always wonder hunting this thick stuff like we hunted, how many we call in and never see, especially with the swirling winds we have had. Might be why I have had bette luck with cats than coyotes.

We need to go again sometime. I might have gotten that first one with the shotgun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WOOHOO!! Man I'm glad things worked out so well! I had actually considered going out this morning myself but stayed up too late (3am) reading a book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I'm trying to figure out which part of 'learning' you got from me.. Was it the part where your gun is pointed the wrong direction or the 'forgot to bring the shotgun' part? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats!

Sean, I was thinking the same thing! I needed my shotgun man as back up!
Randy, I didn't actually mention what I learned from you in the story, but it has to do with tire plugs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back