Bobcat Taken With a Pistol

J Brad

Day before yesterday, I made a stand in a big wheat field that is bordered by a creek on 3 sides. I was sitting on the South side of it and was looking straight North.There was about 10 yds of real thick woods and a creek behind me. I had a coyote come in the day before Thanksgiving in this same spot, from the North end of the field. I had been calling for about 10 minutes, with a Burnham Bros. mini-blaster, when I stopped to take a breath. While I was sitting there I heard something rustle the leaves behind me. I looked back over my shoulder and there was a big bobcat standing 4 feet away from me. There was no way I would have been able to turn my rifle all the way around and him not bolt. So I pulled my S&W .357 that I keep on my hip for snakes and occasionally finishing off wounded coyotes. I cocked the hammer back real slow and turned back to him and fired. I sent a 180-grain .38 Special right into his chest. The heavy bullet went right through him like a full metal jacket. He jumped about 4 feet in the air and ran 5 yds before he fell over dead.When I found him he had only a small bullet sized hole in the right side of his chest and the same size exit about half way down his rib cage between the ribs. My heart was about to jump out of my throat.
He was a nice bobcat. He measured 36 inches from nose-to-tail and 19 inches from paw-to-shoulder. And he weighed 26-28 lbs. I skinned him out and will probably make a rug out of him.

Later,
Justin

Nice work Justin!

Way to use ALL the weapons at your disposal.
smile.gif

Paul

------------------
"watch your backside"

Good job JBrad, I'd sure be pumped up if a kitty was a few feet behind me.

[This message has been edited by Dogboy (edited 12-07-2001).]

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll get a pic posted of him as soon as I get them developed. I haven't broke for a digital yet. I still use the $5 throw aways. I did post a pic in the Picture Gallery of another bobcat I took week before last with a rifle. He had a little nicer color to him, but he wasn't as big.

Predator Paul,
Your sig is a good piece of advice.
smile.gif

Big Jerk,
Yeah he ran 5 yds, but lucky for me it was in the opposite direction. I'm not sure what I'd have done if he ran right up in my lap.

22-250 & Silverfox,
Thanks, but I'm not so sure if it was a good shot or just a startled reaction. I'm suprised he didn't have powder burns on him, as close as he was.
biggrin.gif
But he's in the freezer so I guess it was good enough.

Later,
Justin

Cat=the other white meat.LOL Good job Jbrad

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

If he had run up your lap, I think the only exit hole you would have cared about would have been the one in your shorts.
smile.gif

Nice work

Rick

Back