My second coyote FINALLY!!! (pics)

pd_buster

Went out this morning to my usual spot that I have been calling for 4-5 weeks every weekend. I've seen something just about every time but can't get a shot or have missed. I blame it on the Tasco I had on there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just got my new Leupold 6.5-20x40 scope on Fri and sighted it in yesterday on some prairie dogs. I also just finished doing the camo spray paint job on my gun last weekend. Brand new camo and new scope. I was hoping this would change my luck.

Walked out to my stand right as there was starting to be enough light to see my way. Got to my stand about a mile later and try to flip on my homemade ecaller and it won't come on. I eventually found out it was a loose connection with the battery so after some fixing (ALWAYS carry a pocket knife with you to your stand!) I flipped on the distressed cottontail sound from Varmint Al. Played it for about 15 mins off and on with no response. I then tried the Varmint Al PupHurt2 sound. Last night right before falling asleep, something was telling me to get that sound so this morning I put it on the MP3 player. Sure glad I did! About 1 min of that sound here comes a coyote running right at the caller. I shut the sound off abd started to move the gun to get it on him and he sensed something was wrong. He stopped and looked right at me. I stopped too. After a few seconds he started going toward the caller again (which is about 40 yds from me...) and I was able to get the scope on him. Right then I realized I left the scope on 20x from PD's yesterday. All I could see in the scope was fur because he was at about 50-60 yds. The Savage 12F 22-250 with 50GR VMAX spoke and he did a few spins and was down for the count! He's a healhty looking male. I'm going to weigh him and I'll post again when I do. Kinda fun to have a successful hunt with a homemade camo paint job, homemade ecaller and homemade ammo. I get a bigger rush from when a coyote is coming in than when I went skydiving!

secondcoyote.jpg

secondcoyote2.jpg

Picture with my gun and ecaller

yoteview.jpg

I had brought my tripod with me so I could see what the coyotes are seeing when I'm in my stand. I'd say I'm hidden pretty well!

PD_Buster, fantastic story of a hunt gone good, and the luck of a hunter and his goods... I had them days before,where I forgot to bring along the ammo, and had to walk back to the truck, and that was normally the time I would see a buck jump from the brush and walk sideways away from me,standing with the shotgun in hand and not a single round.. Glad ya was able to connect and bring Us this days hunt.. Nice camo set up.. ya blend in nice near that huge tree base...

Nice looking yote...Congrates on the ecaller,and all that was in line to make the harvest.

HEy congrats. Your picking up pretty fast. Now all you need to do is add more land to your catalog that way you can really go out and kill them dogs. Congrats on your first solo called and killed dog.

Thanks for all of the comments. He weighed in at 32lbs, but I would have guessed somewhere between 40 and 45. Sure felt heavier than 32lbs on the mile walk back to the truck!

Elks, I will be spending a lot of time now looking for new land! I've been seeing a lot of them out there lately. In the very same spot I jumped 3 on my way to the stand a couple weeks ago...

I meant to ask in my original post:
Why did he come to the pup distress sound? Was he going to kill the pups to get rid of competition? To help them? Will females repond to the call also? Thanks!

Congratulations PD. I felt like I was there with you while reading that.It looks like you got that Savage worked out real well.

Having hunted with you I know your excited. Fellows if you ever get a chance to meet Brandon, he is a good guy. Last summer I was in Denver on a short vacation. Brandon took me out to some PD shooting. He has a room in the basement and does some awesome wood turning. Makes some really nice bowls and even turned a pen for me. Good guy all around.

pD Buster,
I often think when someone starts out with a certain call and does it for 10 or 15 min. then changes calls and a critter comes in.....we don't really know if he was coming the whole time from the first call and we just happen to switch calls just before he gets there, and we think it is because we changed calls. Who knows for sure. Sometimes they come from a long ways and it takes them longer. Just my thoughts

Brandon, WAY TO GO that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Was this in your PD property?
I have been so busy with work and dog training that I haven't had much time to chase the yotes. Again, Congrats!
The paint job looks great.

Back