.30 M1 Carbine for Coyotes?

nc_deerhunter

I have a .30 M1 carbine and I thought about rigging it up with a scope and going coyote hutning with it. The ballistics i've read on it aint very impressive so I would limit my shots to no more than 150 yards. Anyone have any expeirence hunting anything with a .30 carbine?

I used one to hunt deer one time, (young and knew everything). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I had just bought it and it was the best gun in the world (I thought), most likely because it was the first gun I had bought completely by myself. Anyway the deer was about 50' away broad side, I made a perfect heart shot, the deer flinched a little, looked toward me, and started to walk away. I stood still untill he was behind a small hill about 75' away from me then went around the other side to get a follow up shot. he was laying there dead. He had walked about 75 to 100' and dropped. When I gutted him there was a small entrance into the heart but no exit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The 110 grain soft point was still in his heart! I decided the 30 m1 was a little too small for deer but it is great for jackrabbits, I wish I had kept mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I have a M1 Carbine that I have taken on a few coyote hunts, although I have never shot or shot at one with it. Great little gun and I love shooting it. My dad used to use it, when he was a young man, for hunting fox. He shot several fox with it, and from the old photos that I have seen, there was not much damage. He says that he never took a shot past 100 yards.

GrouseSetter

The carbines that I have played with weren't accurate enough to use for coyote hunting past 100 yards. We have a pile that get used for Civilian Marksmanship Program 100 yard matches and usually they are all over the 12" square target for run of the mill shooters.
Carbines in really good shape might do better but I have never heard them being called "tack drivers".
The normal carbine bullets are round nose metal jacketed bullets that probably don't have any expansion to speak of.

In general it sounds like a poor choice.

Back