2 stands, 1 dog (pic)

Curt Barrett

Hey dudes! I think I posted this story already but here is the pic to go with it. Made a couple stands after running some errands for the little woman. I had Tweety, Cronk Mini-Howler, Foxpro. First was a skunk stand. I did get a howl-back from way off in the distance.
Moved on. While on my way to another spot I passed a spot that I had called before with no success. I was not going to call there but there was a heaping pile of coyote crap in the road. Tracks all over. Parked the rig behind a rise and found a different spot to call from than the previous time. No cover so I set up in front of a rock-box that held the fence corner up. Good view of a large valley. Set the Foxpro 50 paces out. Woodpecker was on the menu today. Gave a couple howls on the Cronk followed shortly after by some high pitched howls on Tweety, followed by a couple more Cronk then Tweety howls again. I waited a minute then turned on the Foxpro. I could see a long ways so I kicked up the vol for about 20 seconds then lowered it. About five mins later I did that again. About 15 mins into the stand I see a coyote trotting up this draw at a decent clip from my right. It is watching the Foxpro and stops for a sec. I slowly adjust my AR in the coyotes direction. She is only about 125yrds out and begins to advance towards the caller again. The wind is changing directions. I am just about to give a loud bark and she all of a sudden locks em' up like she ran into a brick wall and starts sprinting straight away. That is when I notice the wind shifted to directly behind me. I barked once. She didn't slow up, so I shot. I hate running shots. Shot connected with a hip joint and she went down and took to spinning. (what's up with the spinners lately? LOL) Shot again and missed. She recovers enough to take off sprinting again. I take another poke and she dropped instantly. I'm thinking man must have hit her in the spine. Walked up and found it hit right behind the ear. Paced it off at 185. Total luck shot. Thank God I had my talisman, rabbits foot, four-leaf clover! Wheeew!

Ya'll take care

coyotecronkfox.jpg

Cool Curt, I got up this morning after 3 hours sleep to go calling, but the wind is blowing a gazillion miles per hour, so I slept instead.

Curt,
Your 40 round magazine is missing from your AR. Did that coyote run into a blizzard of lead?

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

[This message has been edited by Merle (edited 12-07-2001).]

Good story Curt and nice pic. And like I was always been told "You'd be better off to have a bucket full of luck than a truck load of skill."
biggrin.gif

Later,
Justin

Nice yote Curt. Is it just me or does that yote have some big ears? Almost looks like a jackal. That sure is one mean looking rifle. How's she shoot?

coyotestalker

Curt good story as always and thanks for the picture. What did you hit here with? Looks like a nasty exit hole.

You ain't kiddin on the spinning stuff.

Oh man, I didn't notice the exit wound the 1st time I looked at the pic. Your a GUTSHOOTER!!!! *Bluedeacon stands up and points at Curt and says* "Gutshooter!!! Gutshooter!!!! "Hey everybody, look!!! Curt a GUTSHOOTER!!!!

Bluedeacon'
A 125 yd. running shot most of us would be doing good, just to hit that coyote at all.
A running coyote through sage brush at 125 yards or more, not an easy shot. Besides Curt said in the post that he had hit that coyote in the hip with his first shot.

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

[This message has been edited by Merle (edited 12-08-2001).]

Thanks all of ya!
smile.gif

Bluedeacon, the blood certainly did run on to the fur in the "gut" area of this particular coyote. The blood came from the very small exit located in the groin area. That is the area located on the inside of "the hip" also where the femoral artery is located, which was ruptured by the bullet. She would have expired without the second hit. When you get the chance to carry a coyote by the back leg, you will notice gravity tends to make the blood flow down. Hope the blood didn't offend you. It usually ain't so messy. I promise to try harder next time.

BTW, I have gutshot my share of coyotes. Some drug their intestines fer 20yds or more..OOPS!! zzzzzzzz
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've got shot just a "few" myself, I was jjsut giving you a hard time, when I put the post up, I was on my 3rd pot of coffee and bored to death. LOL Hell of a good shot though. I'll post a story for you that you'll like later. I'll even call it "Curts Revenge"

That is a catchy tune ALLKILLERNOFILLER! I like!

Sloppyfoos, I was using some Sierra 55 gr HPs. I have been very happy with this bullet so far.

Take care guys!
smile.gif

Back