Got Two By Accident

Dogboy

Here's a story for you. Today while coming home from the store and just down the street from my house, I saw this coyote standing about 50 yards from the road.

I stopped my truck and started lip squeaking him and he walk towards me. Drove down the road about 100 yards and lipped squeaked again and the coyote started to come my way.

Went home, had to go out again about a half hour later. Took my Carlton JackRabbit call with me.

When I came back by the same area, I stopped and did a soft call for a few seconds. Not one but two coyotes came running in, less than a minute later. They circled the truck within 100 yards and eventually walked off. I said time to go home a get my guns and get suited up for some callin.

Go out into the same area about 1/2 mile from my house and make 3 stands. On the last stand after 15 minutes, I stand up and look behind me and there's a coyote lookin at me about 100 yards away. Wouldn't you know it, I have my shotgun. Coyote sees me and starts to walk away.

I get my rifle out of my jeep as it's only a short distance away. Figure I'll walk in the direction I last saw him and maybe get lucky, as the brush is only knee high. Go over there and toot the call and nothing.

Said I'll go to another area and try my luck.

Just as I get back to my jeep, I looked to the north upwind, and see alot of birds flying from the trees for no apparent reason. Just below that is a coyote walkin along sniffin the ground as he goes. He's about 100 yards out. I lip squeak and then bark at him and he doesn't even look up.

I rest my barrel against a tree and place the crosshairs just in front of his nose and squeeze the trigger. Down he goes. I bolt another round into the chamber and walk towards him. I knows he's down cause I can see his tail floppin in the air.

I happen to look up and see another coyote north of the one I just shot, walkin in the same direction to the west. She stops broadside to me, I estimated 200 yards, she's lookin right at me.

I said I gotta see what this .17 will do. I've got no shooting sticks and no tree to rest on, so I give it my best offhand try. Take a deep breath and settle the crosshairs on her shoulder and squeeze. Kwoop and the coyote starts running with it's nose to the ground and starts spinning circles trying to bite herself. She runs about 20 yards and drops.

I got to the first coyote and he took my 25 grain HP in the center of the neck just high of center. He was down for the count.

The second one took a solid hit on the left shoulder and exited the right shoulder. A dime size entrance and a 50 cent size exit. She had also bitten her left leg when she went down and had to pry her jaw from her leg. Both weighed about 25 pounds.

I lazered the range of the second and it was 183 yards to target. I was pleased with the .17 and that's the farthest offhand critter shot I ever made.

Both coyotes taken by pure accident. A great day.

[This message has been edited by Dogboy (edited 12-07-2001).]

Way to go, Dogboy! You must be a little more rural than I had thought. Great offhand shooting, too!

Right on Dogboy, but did you see any Beears???
biggrin.gif

Don't ya just love it when everything finally comes together?Good shootin Dogboy!
KYOTIKID

------------------
US PREDATOR REGULATORS
IOWA CHAPTER

Shots like that can make a day, real easy. I never understand it, the harder I hunt the more I'm skunked, but if I don't care if they show or not, it's like a full day of shootin.

Hey great story Dogboy. Sounds like nothing but skill to me. I admire a hunter who gives the quarry such ample opportunity to escape. he he he. Nice shootin too.
Take care-
Muss

Back