Shimming scope base

tallgrass

I just put the scope on my new Cooper rifle and there is not enough elevation adjustment in the scope to sight it in.

I was thinking about using hard plastic from product packaging for a shim. Just wondering if any one has used this and if so did it work OK.

Any suggestions as to what you used and where you found it would be appreciated.

I would try Burris signature rings with the insert kit (gives 5, 10 and 20 MOA) to solve the problem. It worked for me and keeps the scope from being marked up - no lapping required.

I have used the metal from a soft-drink can for this purpose. It is the perfect shim material -- very thin, and can be cut to exactly the right shape.

1st question should be...what type of bases came with your Cooper (usually Leupold or sometimes Talley).

2nd step should be to get rings made for those bases.

If you've done this, the next thing is to get a scope worthy of the rifle. If you are using a cheap Tasco, Simmons, Barska or NC Tech scope (to name just a few) you are doing yourself and your rifle a disservice. Coopers are NOT cheap, but they ARE great. Hopefully you are not using some foreign made, plastic lens cheapo scope that will give you nothing but grief in the long run and never let you find out how good a Cooper can shoot.

You can also contact Rob Behr (Customer Service Manager at Cooper) and tell him the problem you are having. He will try and help you BEFORE you screw up a great rifle by using soda can shims to try and make GOOD equipment work for a problematic (read that as P.O.S.) scope. No offense meant, and hope this helps.

Had a problem similar with a 700 and Leopold bases. I called Leopold and told them exactly what and where I was on the boresighter he gave me an exact thickness shim I needed. He was right on.

For shim material, sacrifice a feeler gauge for the required thickness.

2nd for the Burris rings, or if you are more inclined use the coke can or aluminum foil for different thickness.

Or you can go to just about any machine shop and beg them to give you about a square inch of some (usually brass) shim material. It comes in .015", .010", and .005" thickness normally. That is what I used on a Howa. If you want to wait for some to be mailed from N. Texas I could send you some.

The rifle has Leupold bases and I purchased Leupold rings, and I am putting a Sightron 6.5x20 side focus scope on the rifle, so the equipment should be OK. I think I will call customer service and get their opinion or go to Gander Mountain this evening and buy the Burris rings.

ae35gunner

I am of the same opinion as you as to the quality of the scope. I have another Cooper in 243 AI and it is a shooter, but I wanted a 223 AI to reduce the recoil while shooting PDs.

Thanks for the input.

Back