Alternatives to Thompson Center Encore Barrels

firstshot

I've got my heart set on one of the new Bushmaster "Predator" AR's but thats simply not in the budget at this point. I've got a T/C Encore 209/50 and thought I'd just pick up a barrel for it until I can do the AR thing.

I'd like to get a 204 Ruger barrel. T/C has a 204 Ruger barrel but I've heard (read) that it's really hit and miss on getting an accurate barrel from T/C. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I'd would rather spend just a little more an get a quality barrel the first time out.

I've checked BullBerry and they do not list a 204 Ruger offering for the Encore. They show one for the Continder but not for the Encore. Can anyone recommend a custom or semi-custom barrel maker for the T/C Encore?

Thanks
firstshot
--------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Do you reload?

ps.... I have three factory Encore barrels that are very accurate.....22-250, 25-06 ( both stainless) and a new Blued 223 that I may be parting with soon. All three are shooters.

The 223 is a shooter with factory ammo (haven't tried reloads yet) and the other two are shooters with my reloads. There are a few enhancement tricks I can pass on if you are a reloader.

Let me know.

Last edited:
tcman

Yes I do reload and am definitely open to any suggestions / recommendations you may have.

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your fist shot count!

firstshot;

The following is the result of testing my 26 inch TC Encore!

Barrel .... 26 inch TC Factory barrel
Case ...... Hornady
Bullet ..... 32 grain Hornady V-Max
Primer ... CCI 450
Powder .. 23.0 grains IMR 4198
O.A.L. .... 2.310 inches
Temp ..... 44 deg F.
3-Shot muzzle velocity average .. 4125 fps @20 ft!
3-Shot group center to center ..... .330 inches @100 Yds

I bought 32 grain Hornady V-Max factory ammo and used the fired brass for my reloads!
NOTE: I was getting 3/8 inch groups with the factory 32 grain ammo! I was surprised and pleased!
I tried some 40 grain factory ammo and the best I could get was a 5-6 inch group and the bullets all keyholed!

Howdy,
I have a .204 24" straight bull barrel from TC (Fox Ridge) it will shoot sub moa at 100yrds with the factory Hornady 32gr load, I reload but havent for this barrel yet, It doesn't shoot as well with the 40gr factory load,(still 1" at 100yds) but might with hand loads. Hope this helps.
Rick

Check out www.eabco.com for their accuracy barrels. They have them ready to ship and you can get a .204 for $325 in heavy blued- real shooters. I used to have contender chamberings up the wazoo and never even heard of a bad barrel or fit, now I bought an encore and am puzzled. Did a trigger job myself so that was fixed. Ordered a 7-08 t/c barrel that would not shoot. They went through the 4 barrels they had and said they all looked bad. I ended up taking a .308 instead that turned out to be great. M.O.A. with factory loads which is a good thing because I sold all of my .308 loading stuff years ago. Cost me $55 in shipping and when I got it all back, there was a note that they had "fixed" my trigger; they fixed it alright, it felt like [beeep] again and I had to do it over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif. If I were you, I'd spend the little bit extra and go custom, it's well worth it.

I have a T&C 204 w/ a 26" heavy bore and it is awsome. Use 40 grain v-max honady factory loads and never had a problem. Also have a 300WIN mag in the same set up (26"). Looking to get a 280 this year and experiment with some hand loads (heard the 280 is good for this). I picked up my 204 for around $260. Around 230 for the 300. IMO can't go wrong with the Encore.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Chuck_White, 204aYote, txagyotebuster
I noticed that Rich44's barrel was from Fox Ridge & TCMan said his are factory barrels. Are all of your barrels from either T/C or Fox Ridge?

Have any of you tried the 35 Bergers? I've seen where a lot of folks are saying those are the best for coyotes.

Runamuck
I read up on the eabco Accuracy Barrels. Thanks for the reference. Have you used or know anyone that has used these barrels?

When you are talking about the 4 bad barrels, I'm assuming those were directly from T/C. Is that correct?

To All
What twist rate does your 204 barrel have?

I noticed on the Berger site that they recommend twist rates of:
1/16 - 30 Grn
1/14 - 30 Grn Molly, 35 Grn, 35 Grn Molly
1/12 - 40 Grn LTB, 40 Grn LTB Molly
1/9 - 50 Grn LTB, 50 Grn LTB Molly

Just curious why the 40 Grns aren't shooting good in a couple of your guns.

Thanks
firstshot
-----------------------------

I have four encore barrels and all group 3/4 of inch or better. My SS 220 Swift barrel is from Fox Ridge and it groups under 1/2 inch with the Nosler 55 gr BT and Rel 15 . Encores shoot much better than they should and better than most bolt guns.
220swift4.jpg

Thanks bea175

Is that the "heavy barrel" contour on the rifle pictured? Looks really good with the Realtree Hardwoods stock & forearm.

firstshot
----------------------------

All I've shot in my 204 is the 32 grain Hornady V-Max and the 40 grain Hornady V-Max!

My gun likes the 32 grainers!
I've been thinking of getting a box of 35 grain Bergers!

I don't understand why some TC Encore barrels will shoot either 32 or 40 grainers and some will shoot both!
I do realize that the rifling has everything to do with stabilizing the bullet, but these are all TC barrels, presumably with the same twist!
Anyone got a "come-back" on this one!

If I went to one of the boat-tails, which would have a shorter friction point (bullet-to-bore contact) than some of the flat based bullets like the 40 grain Hornady V-Max, would these stabilize in my barrel?

Chuck-- There are 3 different 204's out there. They are all the same 1-12" twists from the factory offerings. However,, some like the 40gr V-Max & some don't. The rest of the factory 204's tolerate the 40's. Try the 39gr BK's & I think you'll be surprised. Almost every rifle likes the 32's also. Hornady & Sierras. The 35gr Bergers are highly sought after as well. They are very accurate & by most accounts very terminal & fur friendly. The 32 & 35gr bullets are flat based. The heavier 39gr BK's & 40gr V-Max are boattails. The 39gr BK boattail is slightly smaller than the 40gr V-Max boattail & might just be what you need. HTH

Back