What if I covered my vehicle?

topjimmy

If you slip in under cover of darkness, would it fool the 'yotes if you cover your vehicle with a camo truck cover and make your stand from right in front of your vehicle?

Ever tried this?

It might, but it won't fool the Arizona Game & Fish department. It is illegal in the state of Arizona, as well as many others, to hunt from a vehicle. Besides, with all the noise you'd make "covering" your truck, every coyote within 1/2 mile would hear you.

Originally posted by Jeff Mock:
[qb]It might, but it won't fool the Arizona Game & Fish department. It is illegal in the state of Arizona, as well as many others, to hunt from a vehicle. Besides, with all the noise you'd make "covering" your truck, every coyote within 1/2 mile would here you.[/qb]
Sitting on the ground in front of your vehicle is hunting from a vehicle?

[/qb][/QUOTE]Sitting on the ground in front of your vehicle is hunting from a vehicle?[/QB][/QUOTE]

No its not as long as you are a few steps off the road.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound "off the cuff", you just have to be very careful with that whole deal. You do need to be away from your vehicle when you do the deed. Just trying to give you a heads up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The glare from a spotlight creates a sort of curtain between the light and coyote. Once you have the eyes of the animal in the halo of the beam, they can't see what's behind the light. Keep the light off the vehicle and on the animal and it doesn't matter if the vehicle is camo'd or not.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me when you're only going to have the benefit of it for that one stand. Just walk about 1/4 mile out in the brush and let her rip. You'll save time, noise, trouble, and scratches on your truck (if you're lucky enough to have a nice one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

i shoot of my truck all the time.
white 4 door f350.
i try to park it up agenst a well head if i can but if not just pack it and back the rear of the truck in the brush and i pit the bull bag right on the hood or just sit and call from the high rack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi, Here if the gun is loaded and even leaning against the vehicle it is an automatic fine if caught. I have a permit to shoot from the vehicle. Although I like to get away from the truck/4 wheeler most of the time. Occasionally like last weekend my wife and I called from the truck with the hand call. One coyote popped out under 100 yds and waited patiently for me to shoot him. I would use caution shooting over the hood with some guns. Know a guy who shot at a coyote over the hood with a larger caliber. It was a borrowed truck and when the shot was over yhe windsheild was gone.

tripod3, if it is legal for you to shoot from your vehicle (truck) you have it made, the big trick is to have it set up right. If you do it right, you'll kill more predators then the average 5 guys, that's for sure......good luck

Yes Danny Though I do like to get out aways there is no question that opportunities arise and it can be easier in the coldest days. Sometime wish I had digital camera for what I see.

It's pretty frustrating! No night hunting, no vehicle hunting. We do; however, have more coyotes than you can count, Kit fox, Grey fox, bobcats, ringtailed cats, racoons, badgers, lions, bears, and an occasional Emu/Ostrich out here. I don't mind the hunting restrictions, but I would LOVE to go on a night hunt! I've never been on a night hunt and I just think that would be awsome! I really do envy you guys who get to hunt at night. I turn green everytime I see one of Randy Watsons posts. I think the "Night Shift" fellas have it down pat!

Jeff, you guys need to work on that night hunting in Arizona. It would open up a whole new world of predator hunting for the guys in that state. California, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Texas has it in one manner or another. All those states have good deer hurds except California ( lions ) Poaching is not a big issue when it comes to predator hunting at night. Most poaching is usually done by local idiots, not predator hunters. You sure are right about all the predators in that state, I've been known to hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif there a time or two myself.

Lions are part of the reason that the deer herd in California is almost nonexistant. Winter range being taken over by yuppie homes, the state selling way to many tags and road killed deer are the other problems that plague the deer of this screwed up state. Califagia should shut down deer hunting for 4 or 5 years and let the buck population grow a bit and let the bucks mature a bit and not get killed as a forked horn youngster by some flatlander from the valley or gay area. Hunted for four days in X6A and saw nothing but does. Saw 28 does one day and no bucks. Saw a few bucks last week and they were all forked horn babies. Alot of sacramento license plate frames rolling around here the last couple weeks. A few dead forked horn bucks also.

lol, forgot to say, I think covering your truck with a tarp would be a waste of time. If your not getting coyotes to respond to your calling something else is wrong. I wouldnt blame the presence of your truck. Hike out and away from your truck and do it quietly. Park the truck in a low spot if you can and if you think it would help. I have had coyotes run right past my truck to come to where I am calling. Good Luck, Ron

Back