Rem 788 Scope Mount

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I just got a Rem 788 in .243. It came with a two piece dove tail scope base.

What is the best type base for this particular rifle? A one piece or 2? Any particular brand?

I don't know which is best and for the life of me can't understand why ther'es 79 replies to "which is better-22mag or 17hmr for 'yotes"...yet noone replies to your honest question. Anyway, I have a Leupold 1 piece on mine and it seems to do just fine. Shoots sub moa evertime I take it out' the safe. I don't think which type really matters, I myself prefer The all steel Weaver Grand Slam two piece setup to all others but thats my personal preference and I'm sure someone here will disagree and some will not. Get what you like, degrease well, use blue lock tite and tighten 'er down good...should be fine.

This is the 2 peice Weaver Style base. I guess I will just use it since I already have it, unless I hear something to convince me otherwise.

I have a two piece weaver style on my 22-250 and havn't had any problems. If you already have them I couldn't think of one good reason to change them.

Some like the 2 piece as it allowes more space for your fat fingers when loading the mag. Some seem to think the extra metal of the one piece gets in the way. I prefer any base I have to have Windage screws on the rear to allow for better horizontal mounting of the scope with as little cross hair movement as possible. Then again, if the holes are tapped straight to begin with you probably wont have a problem. A set of Burris Z rings with offset inserts can cure the same problem also. so in the end, use which ever you prefer and or can afford. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to only like the one piece base. I figured: stronger, more resistant to being knocked around, etc. More recently, I lean towards the 2 piece bases. It is real easy for a one piece base to put stress on the action since it will not likely be an exact fit.
Now, I think it doesn't matter much either way as long as the bases are bedded to the action. That doesn't mean glued on just bedded to an action with release agent on the action. Although, glued on might be worth experimenting with?

Jack

"Crapshoot" offers great advice. Keep the Weaver bases and get a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings which are made for Weaver bases. The plastic inserts will NOT mark your scope tube (helps it keep its value) and the Offset Insert package has 3 offset sizes of .05", .10" and .20". These equate to 5", 10" and 20" at 100 yds. The .20" offset works GREAT for 1000 yd shooting as they will account for 200" of elevation adjustment without touching your scope. The rings are approx $35 and the offset insert kit is about $12. Just remember to get rings high enough to permit your objective lens end to clear the barrel. They are made in Low, Med and High rings for this. Good Luck!!!

Back