Where is a good place to buy unfinished rifle stock?

HowlinDog

Im looking for an unfinished model 700 BDL stock for my 22-250. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to look for one. I want to get some carvings done on it and I really dont want to ruin the beutiful piece of wood that came with it.

HD

If you aren't in a hurry I suggest Boyds. Just got one of their unfinished Target/varmint laminated stocks. Very nice and the inletting was excellent....total cost with shipping was like $90.

I second the boyd's laminates. I have both the thumbhole and Target /Varmint. I prefer the T/V, but both are excellent. Boyds inletting is excellent, I have heard horror stories from a gunsmith and read them as well about a few other brands.

Below is a link to a 700 BDL SA that is finished, but will probably go for near unfinshed price. That saves a ton of work sanding!!! I did one from scratch and 2 others came with someone else having done most of the work and it is a no brainer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boyds-Remington-700-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:
got my richards microfit in today. gonna need a lot of sanding.

You talking a couple days of sanding or a couple weeks? I don't mind a little elbow grease but I surely dont want to work with something that looks like a rough-cut 2x4.

HowlinDog

Power tools are the answer.
I highly recommend belt and disc sanders with the better abrasives.
Life is too short to use sandpaper with your fingers, except for the final finish.

Jack

Back