how close is "real close" ??

DesertFox

Been reading alot about how different folks call in a lot of critters... and some people have shot coyotes (great shots!) at 400 and 500 yards( I couldn't do it without a benchrest, and then only some of the time) that they consider "called in", and others have said shotguns are only good if they're 'real close'....

Since I choose to only use lung-powered calls (NO, THAT'S NOT A SLAM AGAINST THE FOLKS THAT LIKE THEIR E-CALLERS... i JUST ENJOY USING HAND-CALLS) and the animals are concentrating on ME when they come in, I've been stepped on by coyotes, and actually run-over by fox. To me that's REAL CLOSE. Of course, I can never put any lead into those ones that come in like that... but it sure is exciting.

If I see a coyote 500 yards away while I'm making a stand, I don't consider that one "called in" unless he's closing the gap.

Remember, these are just MY OPINIONS and opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one and they all stink. No offense intended please... (remember the "wars" last year on Posse Country?)

Just interested in what y'all think is what.

Good Hunting,

JS Las Cruces NM

I haven't had anything step on me or bump into me (yet), but have had coyotes with 3 feet by the time we saw each other. I hunt mostly in brush, and kill a lot of animals within 20 steps.......

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I shot a fox a couple of weeks ago that was running broadside about 10 yards out. I hit him with my shotgun, but the shot was a little high. Two pellets (4 buck) got him in the chest. When I hit him, he made a 90 degree turn and ran straight at me. I did not even have time to put another load into him, before he was at my feet. He made one last jump (luckily the buckshot did what it was supposed to do) and hit the ground dead. Just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere, I poked him with the barrel a couple of times, from where I was sitting! He landed about a yard in front of me. Now that was a little close.

I had one run into my leg last year after I missed the first shot at close range. I think the muzzle blast confused him because he ran about 15 yards and stopped to look back, fatal mistake.

I generally like to call in the thick stuff, so my average shot is probably less than 50 yards. Most are taken at mere feet. I've always thought I would probably be wise to take a shotgun, but as soon as I do they'll hang up just out of range.

Maybe Jerry Malbeck will tell about the one he shot and it spun into his lap thrashing and biting and such...Now that is too close.. A lot of them we call come within 15 feet tp twenty yards at times. So far all of them have stopped before I shot them. Don't know how I would handle a biting spinning coyote.
biggrin.gif
James L.

[This message has been edited by James Lindley (edited 12-06-2001).]

I was callin crosswind one time, had 5 come in behind me. The closest was 10 feet. I got 3 of the 5. Had to change my shorts after that one!!!

Close to me is when they are 10 yards or less . And yes i have had coyotes in my lap . Jump over my head , and run into me . Thats to close . The one that ended up in my lap went like this , I saw a coyote going up a ridge as i entered a cattle ranch to do some control work , We exchanged glances , and went our own way . I drove up the road , parked , and back tracked into a canyon across from where i saw the coyote .Put the fox pro right next to me ( i didn have a remote at the time )Turned on the volume very low , and started blowin the sceery AP-6 right away i see this BIG coyote coming up and over the scab rock , he was coming hard , I couldnt keep him in my sight thru the scope , as he was running up and over the scab making his way to me . Finally he got on the same level i was on , and i figured i had him , BUT , he started weaving thru the sage , and i couldnt find him with my scope . he was still coming fast . By the time i lowered my gun , he was at 15 feet and coming to the caller sitting right next to me . I hip shot , he was hit but it was to far back , he started the spinning and biting routine , and spun his way into my lap . All the while snapping at the wound . I pushed him off , and fired several more times . LOL. My heart was pounding , i couldnt breath , and I was shooting in self defence . all in all , it was exciting , but im in no hurry to go there again .

I've had my share of contacts, but last sunday me and my son went out calling. on the first stand,we set up where two arroyos come together, we sat about 20yards apart facing each other, went to squaking, less than 5 min. later, a coyote comes in, and runs into my sons back, I don't know who was more scared, he miss it at 10 feet,wish I had the camcorder, and I miss it to, due to laughing so hard, that stand was more exciting, to him than on the one, he had a kill.

I was calling fox with a hand held cassette player and external speakers. The volume was set real low due to the thick cover. I was sitting with my back to a tree and my 17 Mach IV across my lap, muzzle to the left. Just after about 30 seconds of a fox/rabbit tape I hear leaves rustle and a fox is in front of me at 5 feet. I slowly raised the TC carbine and made a miss shooting over his back. A lip squeak held him up at 30 yards for the fatal second shot. I got up and proceeded to fold from the adrenalin rush.

Another close encounter with a coyote occurred in Wyoming. After about a 5 minute pause between calls, I thought I had heard a vehicle coming, and was about to get up. I see a coyote coming down a draw at about 200 yards. The rifle is laying across my lap, muzzle to the left and he is coming on the right. I remember turning down the power on the scope and waiting for the coyote to hang up. Well, he kept coming and jumped into me on my right side. All I could do was to raise my arm up and protect my head. He paused at 15 yards to look back at that moving bush and I missed him big time. Again, I couldn't get up for a few minutes until my heart beat came down to about 200. That will always be more exciting than any kill I ever make.

My 14 year old son got his first one this weekend. My brother and I were had rifles and he had a 12 ga. with BBB steel. I started by howling a couple times and started screaming on a mouth call a couple minutes later. A coyote came in pretty quick and my brother shot when it stopped at 200 yards and they shot a couple more times as it ran off unscratched. I figured we were all done when another coyote came barrelling over a ridge about 100 yards away headed straight for me. It was darting through the love grass clumps and I couldn't get a good sight picture. My son was sitting 10 yards to my left and shot when the coyote was 50 yards out, missed, shot again at 30 yards, missed, and finally hit him at 15 feet. It was a great 1st kill and the only good pelt we've taken this year. We skinned it out to have tanned for him. He is hooked and begging to go again.

Hello DFox, its been a while. I have had a few run over me and you can call it a lap run over. I had a few dumb ones that I just had to reach out to get them. But the last one was around this time last year when a young yote came into the call and ran over my lap twice on the same stand I could not stop LOL and Jon was yelling at me cause I was so loud after it happened, it was so funny.

Real close is anything I can touch with my shooting sticks. Bob cats have been the worst about getting in "real close" this year. I've had 2 under 5 feet this winter.They just seem to appear out of no where. I've had alot of coyotes come in under 10yds but I saw them comming and have yet to have one run into me, and hope I don't.

Later,
Justin

------------------
My pics
My web page

[This message has been edited by J Brad (edited 12-10-2001).]

Went the other night and called in a fox....much to unhappiness of my newbie shooter...to about 3 feet.It was hilarious..my buddy went one way and the fox went the other...both stopped at about 20 yards to think it over.I couldn't stop laughing and scared the fox off.

I was calling in some thick cedars once and saw some movement to my left.I slowly moved my head in that direction for a look see and spoted a few deer legs 30 yards away moving away from me under a cedar tree.Something felt wierd and I moved my eyeballs back to center and a coyote had its head over my right leg sniffing my Burnham Brothers speaker.I lifted the 12ga. and as she spun I fired.When I skinned her the wad was stuck between her ribs.
Another time I was calling toward some cedars after a fresh snowfall.Three yotes came towards me with their afterburners on.They had to drop into a small ditch before they got to me and that is when I raised the shotgun to get ready to fire.At that instant I was blinded by snow and knocked over by another yoye I hadn't seen coming in on my hard right.Just jumped into and over me as I raised that gun.
And people ask me why I do this!!!

Back