coyotes-greyhounds

Here in Kansas, raising greyhounds is an industry that puts food on the table for many, many people. These are raised as racing greyhounds.
As far as coyote chasing greyhounds ... normally these are hybrid greyhounds ... crossed with other breeds. Just yesterday, I had (we call them dog hunters) 3 dog wagons (usually 4WD pickups with dog boxes) competing in the same ground I was coyote calling. They will ride through pastures (with or without permission), parallel a waterway or creek timber and fire rifle or pitol shots to scare a coyote out. When the coyote is visible, they dump the dogs via a cord from the box to the cab of the truck.
Normally, the other dog hunters are outside the section waiting for the coyote to emerge and then they dump dogs. I would say that the coyote's chance of survivall is very slim. Whether or not this is practice is sportsmanlike, humane, barbarian, etc .. is a whole 'nother topic.
I do know this ....... the dog wagon folks are not as plentiful as in the past. High gasoline prices, high cost of quality dog food, truck repair .. all that stuff has taken the toll on dog hunters. Also, many of the farmer/ranchers in this area are now locking gates that used to be accessible. I used to hear reports of open gates, damaged fences, tire rutted croplands .... not so much anymore. I explain to landowners that I am NOT associated with dog hunters when asking permission to hunt. Many of them have a strong dislike of that practice.
So .... my take on this ?? The practice still continues .. many times without permission, many times the landowner may be cursing another landowner from the next county. By the time the sheriff would respond, they are gone. The dog hunters also stay in contact via CB radio ... hard to get a jump on them. All's I know is the number of dog hunters are less in this area .. but still out there. Also, in times of bitter cold and heavy snow, the dog hunters clean house. Many times they will use a snowmobile to flush the coyote and direct/herd him to the dog wagon so the dogs can be dumped. Some fun, huh? I'll pass.
Here's my bill. $0.02
DB

I have seen Greyhounds chase down and kill Coyotes. When I was a kid, late 40's, early 50's the ranch had a pack of 8 or 10 Greyhounds.

They had a special box built on the back of a pickup with a rope on a gate that could be opened from inside the cab. We had a 5 section pasture that was coyote proof fenced. To clear the coyotes out, they would drive the pasture and get within 50 yards or so of the coyote and let the dogs out, they usually caught the coyote within 50 to 100 yards. The idea was to get rid of coyotes, it was not for sport, it was purely economic survival. We had bout 12,000 sheep and goats and they were easier to catch than jackrabbits.

I don't remember how long it took to clear the pasture of coyotes, but when we finally did, someone had to ride the fence daily to see of one had somehow gotten in, which even though the fence was supposed to by coyote proof, somehow one or two would always get in. If one had gotten in, we would all saddle up and take rifles and ride the pasture until we found it.

That ranch still has sheep and goats, but no longer has Greyhounds. They discovered there was money to be made letting folks come in and call the coyotes, puts money in their pockets and keeps the coyote population in check.

While I don't consider it a sport, I have no problem with folks who do. Its to much fun to call them in and have them make ya look foolish.

Pecos

Wiley

"Having a greyhound run down and kill a coyote is no different than a coyote running down and killing a rabbit, fawn, sheep, or calf. Both coyotes and greyhounds can kill clean and both can take a while to kill depending on the dog or greyhound."

Is the geryhound runing down and killing the coyote in order to survive?

"If you don't have the stomach to watch a greyhound run down and kill a coyote, then I wouldn't advice watching coyotes kill their prey either."

I dont think its about being strong enough and having a stomach, its about my opinion. I dont think its the same thing, when a coyote kills a rabbit its for food, there not doing it so there owners can get a kick out of it.

"The next time you gut shoot a coyote, you better be ready to hang up your rifle too as you will be considered a hypocrite to advocate shooting coyotes without guaranteeing a clean kill while looking down your nose at those who run greyhounds."

I have gut shot many yotes and I am far from hanging up my rifle and I do not believe I am a hypocrite. This is just my opinion and I do not mean to sway anybody for trying this method if they so choose. I was just stating what I feel about this type of hunting. Thanx

------------------
Cory

Back