Homemade Decoy/Attractor

hey all i was thinkin about buyin a decoy for yotes but then i figured i should just make one as it would give me sumthin to do...

i was thinkin of using a piece of dowel with a spring attached to one end and then fur or sumthing attached to the spring. then just stick it in the ground and run fishing line under sticks and such to give it motion.

think it would work? how high would i want the top of the spring to be from the ground? should i use a piece of rabbit hide or turkey feathers?

thanx for any ideas

ch312

Marabou feathers are fluffier and move in the slightest breeze. They are also lighter than the fur.
As for height; depends on your area. Here, we call on bare ground to tall sage. I'm making a decoy that extends from 32" to 48". It's an old aluminun arrow shaft that has a brass tube that slides in and out. I reinforced the ends with cut off cartridge cases. The top is a foam block that an electric motor ($2 ? @ Radio Shack?) fits into and I soldered a piece of brass with a counter weight onto the shaft. Here are a couple of pics of the unfinished decoy.

Top:
DecoyTop2.jpg

Top close-up:
DecoyTop.jpg

Ferrule:
Ferrule.jpg

Back