coyotes-greyhounds

Yotecallr

I've never seen greyhounds chase down coyotes
but I've talked to some that have seen it done. Is there anyone who can advise of a video which shows the coyotes being run down
by greyhounds. Thanks

I've heard about people using packs of dogs to run dog coyotes and kill them, but I garuntee you it's not a fair fight!!(not that I'm against fighting dirty
biggrin.gif
) Coyotes are the fastest canid in the world. They absolutely haul, and anybody who's seen a coyote turn on the afterburners and be completely out of sight in a wide open desert in a matter of seconds, knows this is true.
Secondly, stamina. The greyhound has great stamina, but I think you'd have to run your dogs every second of everyday to match that of a coyote. Of all you coyote hunters out there, and all the coyotes you've seen, how many have you seen a coyote just sitting there?? I've seen one. One in my whole life. He was sitting next to a busy road waiting to cross(smart dog
biggrin.gif
) I know they rest after they've eaten, but other than that they trott all day long, day after day, year after year, so they've got to have some super stamina. One time while hunting some farm roads in colorado we jumped a yote that new we were badnews, and threw the afterburners on, strait away at a dead run. We threw ours on and were able to get behind him on another farm road about 3 miles away and wait, he got there as soon as we did (must've been going 35-45) and was still burning up the snow all the way to his death!! So a one on one, fair, strait away race, coyote vs. greyhound, I would put everything I own on the coyote.
I think the people who run them teach thier packs, 2-6 dogs, to tag team them, and keep turning them and making them circle around so the other one can take over. This is the only way I think a dog, or group of them would catch a yote, by wearing them out.

Years and years ago I remember seeing a documentary on Greyhounds chasing down coyotes on TV. They were out in desert country and they showed the Greyhounds running down the coyotes, then they showed the Greyhound closing in on the coyote, but they did not show the kill. The last scene of this documentary showed the two Greyhounds standing over a dead Coyote.
(boy I hate it when I have to say years and years ago, it kinda dates one and this documentary was in black and white)

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

The December issue of FUR-FISH-GAME has an article by Rich Byerly on chasing coyotes with hounds here in IOWA.Years ago we did it with greyhounds.The fences were hell on the dogs though,as they would be concentrating so much on the coyote that they wouldn't see the wires.A fox didn't have much of a chance of getting away from a good pair of greyhounds.I didn't own a ghound but went along with the gang.Lots of memories of those days.
Picture it if you can;a feral cat sitting on a fence post and a greyhound on a flight path over that same fence post with it's jaws open.And no way to stop what happens next.For those not familiar with with them,feral cats prey on birds and small game.In the springtime,they kill a lot of baby chicks of game birds and baby rabbits.So we eliminate them when we get a chance.
KYOTIKID

I grew up in Kansas and had friends woh used to run coyotes. Normally, they would have dog boxes on the back of their truck and they would drive through the waterways and pastures trying to bump a coyote out of the grass. They would then drive up alongside the coyote, slam on the brakes, pull a cord that opens the spring-loaded doors and releases the dogs. Most people I know used Greyhounds, Greyhounds and Rottweilers, or Greyhound and Pitbulls. The Greyhounds were supposed to knock the coyote down and the larger dogs would catch up and kill the coyote. Never went and did it myself though. Guess its not my gig.

Back in the early 80's in Montana I used to do some trapping with a guy that ran a couple of Wippets. They will out run a coyote without a problem and when a pair gets ahold of one there isn't much left of the fur. He used them strictly for predator control and not sport. They were very effective for that purpose but certainly not very sportsman like. A coyote is good for short bursts, but he will tire fairly quickly. The Wippets were good for the long haul and they would run the coyote til he tired out and then they would literally run over the coyote, knock him down and go for the throat. You had to have big wide open spaces to run these dogs and it is true that fences were hard on them. Coyotes could out maneuver them in the timber, so they were really most effective out on the flats. Wippets don't handle cold well either, so with that and the limited areas that you could use them they kinda became a thing of the past.

I saw one caught by grayhounds years ago and watched the whole thing at about 20 yrds when the dogs were done I walked down to fetch the yote got the dogs off grabbed the yote by the tail hauling it to the truck I felt something munching on the back of my leg though it was a dog when I looked the yote was having lunch on my boot I let go and the yote started to run off after the dogs were done the second time I made real sure that time bg

I know I am going to have people disagree with me, but really do not agree with this type of hunting. I have never done it myself but I have seen a tape with my buddy doing it in ND. To me this is not hunting and it goes against everything that I believe hunting should be and its another thing that gives hunters a bad name. If a nonhunter seen the tape I saw with the dogs chasing and ripping the yotes apart limb from limb they would never give me permission to go calling on there land ever. Not to mention it would make them sick to there stomach. This is just my opinion.

------------------
Cory

I have seen this worked in east Iowa in the Wapello area. They would release several Greyhounds at on end of a timber where a yote was spotted and drive to the east end. usually the greys were wore out and then the coon dogs would find the yote. Usually a daytime weekend event so as not to interupt the coon hunt.
Jim

CoryB:

Have the anti hunters pull up coyote deprevation on Varmint Al's website. That wou
ld be a good start for a reason to kill coyotes. Then talk to farmers and ranchers west and north of Iowa. It might open their
tearful eyes to the real world.

In Kansas the "hunters"(and I use the term hunter loosely) run coyotes down with pickups with the hounds in dogboxes on the pickup. I can understand coyote control that utilizes traps or aircraft if it directed toward problem animals as these methods are effective and not necessarily inhumane or meant to be inhumane or cruel. However, after several pickups have chased a coyote all over country side, there is not much chase for the dogs and no sport unless one enjoys watching a pack of dogs tear an animal apart while it is still alive. Consequently, I cannot see how anyone can call it a sport and/or hunting when realistly it is no different than dog or cock fights. Calling coyotes, in my opinion, is true hunting, although, I am sure some will argue other wise. Just my opinion for what ever little it may be worth.

I wouldn't have thought a Greyhound could kill a yote. That surprised me, catch them yes, Greyhounds are capable of 55mph. I don't think it is something I would enjoy, it may not be hunting for US!!! But tell the Greyhound he's not hunting. I bet he's having a blast. It would be an effective method for control if it were needed in an area though. I too, say we should always keep a lookout for the antis. They already stopped me from running a trapline in AZ. But as far as hiding from them, then we would have to ban half the subjects at this website, and do away with ALL the pictures of any GUNS or dead coyotes. I say the hell with that. Best thing I found you can do with these people is take them hunting, they can't help but love it!!

hey guys my neibor has 1500 acres and coyotes on it for the people that hunt with dogs to come down year and pay him to turn the dogs loose for training i guess it is very rare that i see the dogs even close to the coyote's all last night and this morning the grey hounds have been running keeps me a wake when they pass by then my dogs go nuts, this 1500 acres has a chain link fence all the way around it with a hotwire running at the top and bottom, once in the while one of the coyotes gets in my poperty i just call him up and he comes and gets his yote...

I have participated in running coyotes with greyhounds. Although it's not for me personally, I do not have any problem with those that do.

Having a greyhound run down and kill a coyote is no different than a coyote running down and killing a rabbit, fawn, sheep, or calf. Both coyotes and greyhounds can kill clean and both can take a while to kill depending on the dog or greyhound.

If you don't have the stomach to watch a greyhound run down and kill a coyote, then I wouldn't advice watching coyotes kill their prey either.

The next time you gut shoot a coyote, you better be ready to hang up your rifle too as you will be considered a hypocrite to advocate shooting coyotes without guaranteeing a clean kill while looking down your nose at those who run greyhounds.

If a rancher is killing coyotes with greyhounds in an area where they are causing problems, more power to them.

If they are doing it for sport, that's their choice!

I am not about to drive any more wedges between different methods of hunting coyotes as this is nothing more than a personal moral judgement call on what does and does not constitute "fair chase". But that's just me!

Wiley E

Originally posted by Critr Gitr:
We can make our personal choices. The problems begin when we start making choices for others. Wiley E said it well.

I agree 100%. Wiley did say it well. It is unfortunate that many sportsmen make a judgement. Some don't like bowhunting, or running game with dogs or pickups, lots of regional practices that don't fly all across the Country. We need to be very careful about expressing disapproval, if we expect support when our particular interest comes under fire.

Sounds good, don't it? Except that the "environmental" movement would have to fold it's tent, should they adopt the same attitude. Don't count on that happening. They firmly believe in dictating "right and wrong" to the rest of us, and that irritates the hell out of me. Anti hunting, anti gun, the whole Liberal Establishment should have respect for our ourdoor traditions, but do they? Not a chance! It's an attitude as dictatorial as Hitler or Stalin ever was. They believe that they know better, because they have been spoonfed a lot of crap in our educational bureaucracy. Every one of your sons and daughters has had to defend what Dad does. It's systematic, and they are winning. When it's all over, and they have won, watch them sanctimoniously announce that it was all fair and democratic. The problem here is that it is not democratic, it's tyranny of the majority over a minority, a basic principle of freedom that they have studiously ignored.

Some will give up predator hunting without a whimper, some won't mind if they ban waterfouling 'cause they never do it anyway. Then look for wanton waste to become a buzzword, no squirrels or related vermin, because they all have a right to live. Anywhere they can, they will whittle us down, one by one, until we don't give a damn anymore, let them deer hunters sink, they didn't support us when they had the chance, did they? The answer is; no they didn't, by the way. But, we won't stick together, and project a united front. Not our nature, we tend to be individualists, not big-time joiners. Be afraid, my friends. It's coming to a theater near you, to borrow a phrase.

Good hunting. LB

Ever see the program on tv about the Wolves of Yellowstone? There is a segment where a coyote is sneaking a bite from the carion of a wolf kill. Them wolves came out of the woodwork so to speak and ran that songdog down in no time flat. Tore the life and limb off that coyote in seconds. They probably considered it a successful hunt.

The problem comes,as I see it, when as stated above, the personal choices of a few may affect my personal choices. Many hunters and farmers in this area are not in favor or the coyote hunting tactics of the pickup/hound people. Kansas now has laws with respect as to how close to public roads traps can set and also the display of coyote carcasses due to adverse publicity. I hate to think of what will happen if a film of hunting coyotes in this manner falls into the hands of the anti hunting group and they can get it on TV, and you can bet that they will. If the people who live, and vote, in the larger cities learn of these hunting methods, hunting/calling coyotes may very well go the way to trapping in some states.

[This message has been edited by nc (edited 12-09-2001).]

Back