CT 208 Single Excited Crow
CT 209 Young Crow In Distress
CT 210 Crow Come Here Call

INSTRUCTIONAL TAPES
CT 301 Secrets Of Successful Duck Calling
CT 401 Secrets Of Successful Predator
CT 601 Secrets Of Calling White-Tailed Bucks
CT 801 Secrets Of Successful Turkey Calling

Thanks for the great list. Many I've never even seen before. So which of these sounds would be considered the toughest to find nowadays? Are there many "collector" tapes around with these sounds?

Gerald's old man sure kept him running around the barn yard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gerald has said over and over that Hunter's Specialties will only listen to customers and dollars. Otherwise, if they see it as unprofitable, they may sit on his father's collection forever.

How many of these sounds would you buy if you could download a quality Hi-fi wave or MP3 from the web?

If I could get a one-minute loop for $5, I'd buy 30+ of these sounds today without a flinch.

What about you?

I'd easily plunk down $5 or even more for every sound they have for a one minute .wav or .mp3 section. Where do we address these concerns? Maybe if enough people add to this thread with interest, we can just forward the link to HS and let them read it.

I might be a customer..... Except that I don't have any equipment that uses .wav or mp3 formats..... I don't have a way to get the sounds from my computer to a tape for my JS612 either..... Maybe, if I someday update my old computer or calling equipment - then I'd surely buy them on a "per sound" basis.

me!
(Staci Matheis)

Me,
You should be able to use a simple cassette recorder with a line in jack to record the files from your computer to cassette for your e-caller. All your computer needs is a line out or even speaker jack on it and you can record that sound into a cassette recorder. When I get my cassette player, I'll see how it works and let you know.

Thanks, SnowCamoMan!

My computer definately has speaker jacks..... I didn't know that they could be plugged into a cassette recorder. Knowing that, I think I'll go by a pawn shop and see if I can find a good one at the right price. I had a really beautiful Denon deck a few years ago - but someone broke into my apartment and stole all my equipment. When I bought stuff to replace what had been taken, I didn't bother to get a cassette deck because I now use CD's for all my classical music.....

I've paid much more than $5 per JS sound, and likely so has everybody else that's ever bought a JS tape. Heck, I've paid $20 per sound (that I wanted) and gotten 3 others that I didn't need on a CD in the bargain.

Among the two hundred+ recordings in my files, only a small fraction are JS sounds--though I readily admit that a couple of these are among my most-used ones. Even so, I brace for and wince at the distortion in places of my Grown Cottontail Distress (from CD)--and am left to ponder if the cat that hung up last night at 200 yards (known to me only his [beeep]-footprints in the snow) did so as well. Tough enough pursuit, even without that concern.

Comprehensive though the JS catalog may be, it was recorded with the technology of the day, a couple or three decades ago. This isn't meant to take anything away from Johnny Stewart himself. It's apparent he was truly dedicated, doing the very best he could with the field recording equipment he had available to him then. Since, recording and storage technology has improved by leaps and bounds-- so much so, that the pioneering work he did leaves an unfilled hole in what is evidently a growing and already lucrative niche for others. Hopefully someone will step up to follow in his footsteps (snowcamoman! you listenin' to me?) and will bring us a comprehensive catalog of their own before long. Hopefully not tie it to some absurd proprietary hardware scheme (hopefully not conflating the meaning of the vocalizations or fabricating false testimonials, etc. ).

But back to the JS catalog: Hunter's Specialties would need to do some heavy-duty digital remastering before I'd spring for too many more sounds, even if they were only $.99/each. I'd be willing to buy the ones I need at full rate if they were state-of-the-art. Alas, so much nice digital hardware available to us these days, so few really good sounds to play.

LionHo

Hi Me!
If your computer has speaker jacks, then you can definitely record to tape. You'll need a tape player with a microphone jack and a patch cord to go between them. The patch cord should be male/male stereo(Radio Shack sells these, probably available elsehwhere). Plug one end into the speaker jack on the PC and one into the mic jack on the tape player. Hit play on the PC and record on the tape deck and you're off.

Getting a GOOD tape is a little more complicated than that sometimes. This has been the topic of many a poster here, for anyone that cares to do a search...

Thanks, JimT!

You know.....
If only the coyotes enjoyed Beethoven as much as I do.....
I'd just take some of my CD's out to the woods.....
With my collection.....
They'd never hear the same sound twice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I could set the call up in a ravine...
They would have "stadium seating" on the hill sides...
And... When they were deeply entranced by the music...
BLAM! BLAM!! BLAM!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

i just recovered my "lost" JS 512 caller,,,its about 16 years old,,,i plugged in in for 36 hours and it WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE,,,it works great when i plug it into the wall,,so i figure the battery is dead,,,,,,
can i REPLACE THE BATTERY and where would i get a new battery and how would i install it,,,there is only 2 screws so should be no problem,,
and how do i start a NEW TOPIC?i was gonna start a topic with the question HOW TO CHANGE JS 512 BATTERY
any help is greatly appreciated?
Thank you
Bob

I would gladly pay for Johnny Stewart MP3 or WAV sounds. Johnny Stewart sounds have brought in more predators for me on ecallers than any other sounds.

Bob -

Call the Johnny Stewart service center: 254-662-2433
Their hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 6:00 am to 4:30 pm CST.

me!

You're very welcome, Bob!

Years ago, I had to replace the battery in my old 512 so I called them..... Johnny himself answered the phone! I got to talk to him for a while about his calls and hunting. A wonderful Gentleman! (He said he would have let me talk to his son - but Gerald was out in the barnyard harrassing the poultry for recordings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I don't remember much about the details of that call..... Talking to Gerald about a year ago, I found out that that may have been the last year or two that his dad was still alive..... What a contribution Johnny made to our sport!

God Bless you, Johnny!
Your son is doing a great job down here in your place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

how come johnny stewart doesnt sell their own replacement batterys?i called today and they gave me a number to western recreation to buy a replacement battery for a js512
and i would like to know how long the replacement is supposed to last and no one can tell me? oh well whats a hillbilly to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob

They USED to sell them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif .....
Guess you shoulda had oughta change yer name to "Billy Bob"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back