best load for ar type 1 in 9 twist 20 inch .223 barrel

bda365

been working on loads for my ar... i havent been able to find one that really works. ive got a couple that are better than others. was hoping you guys might have one i havent tried that might work better.

1 in 9 / 20 inch .95 inch fluted stainless match grade barrel on tuned bushmaster upper. any help?

I haven't tried the heavy bullets in my Bushmaster Varminter, but the Hornady 55 V-Max and H-4895 will shoot under one inch five shot groups at 100 meters.

ive been working with sierra 68 gr bthp match and 3031 imr and varget. having better luck with the 3031. but want to shoot varget.

I have and AR with a 1:9 twist, 20" Hbar chromemoly Shaw barrel. The load I've found best so far is a 50gr Vmax over 27.5gr of Varget, Remington BR primers. The Varget fills the LC brass and is a slightly compressed load. Getting .5" to .6" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

I also load for a friend who has a NEF .223. She uses Win brass and the most I can get in that case is 27gr of Varget. She gets .8" groups out of her new barrel with maybe 200 rounds down the tube so far.

Both of these are loaded on the lowly Lee Anniversary loader, but I do uniform the flash holes and case lengths.

Std load with H4895 (max 25.5grs)with good 55gr bullets usually works in most AR's. I use winchester SR primers and Rem 7 1/2 for hot loads using heaiver bullets.

Have you tried Benchmark with a 50 gr bullet? My 1 in 9 AR shoots under 1/2" with 26.5 gr of Benchmark and a 50 gr ballistic tip using fed 205 match primers and winchester cases. My best ever group was .233 at 100 yards but 1/2" is the norm. I've never got the velocity out of Varget in a 223 but I gave up on it after trying Benchmark.

Quote:
been working on loads for my ar... was hoping you guys might have one i havent tried that might work better.

I have a Varminter with a 1:9 twist barrel and the most accurate load so far has been 25 grs. Varget with a Nosler 55 gr. ballistic tip. Last spring when I first took the gun to the range to sight it in, the 5th-7th shot out of the gun went into a group @ 100 yds. that measured .171" CTC. I've only shot 1 group in my life that was smaller than that. It's definitely a good load to try. I'm going to be trying some different powders in my AR in hopes of getting a little more velocity + accuracy. W748 and Benchmark are on my short list of powders to try. Good luck with your AR!

What about a factory load? I am not reloading at the moment, actually sold my reloading stuff a year ago and now am getting back into shooting/hunting, funny how that works. So, what factory load is good in a 1x9 20' bull stainless barrel?
Thanks...

Blach Hills has some ammo that shoots real good. Pick your weight and type to match whatever type of shooting you will be doing. 62-73 grain loads seem to work in just about every 1-9 twist barrel. 75 grain loads are iffy. In some rifles they shoot and in some they don't.

Back