So Proud, I Can Hardly Stand Myself!!!

Rooster_Feather

I nearly pulled a muscle trying to pat myself on the back yesterday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here is the story!

Oklahoma received some moisture this weekend in the form of sleet and snow. Not very much in my area but enough to cover the ground good and make the roads slick. Bloodhounder (named that for his Bloodhound that he uses to track downed deer during the season) and I decided to give it a try. I had never called one in, and he had never used a electronic caller. He has called some in before but does not have tons of calling experience.

ANYWAY ...

Stand One - We started out with a hand call, distressed cottontail. Called two neighbor dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Stand Two - Used my FoxPro 38 with the Coyote Female Invitation. But we couldn't decide what the cadence should be, so didn't use it anymore. Nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Stand Two and One Half - Walked over the hill (400 yards) and used the Jackrabbit in Distress. Let the caller play continous. Nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Stand Three - Went to one of my pastures and used the Jackrabbit in Distress, continuous play. Called in a coyote at the 13 minute mark. It came into view at 90 yards from the side around a nole. I absolutely was not going to let this one go. I know it would have come closer, But the FIRST ONE is hard to get. 80 yard shot with a Encore .223 45 JHP Walmart White box, Leupold 3x9 Vari Series II shooting off of Stoney Point Sticks. (I think that got it)
MY FIRST CALLED KILL!!!!!!! I WAS ALREADY HOOKED, THIS JUST CONFIRMED IT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

CoyoteKill1.jpg

Stand Four - Can't Stop now! I now know that this FoxPro 38 works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Called on another place of mine, same call, same sound. Nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Stand Five - Another pasture. Same setup. This time at the 10 minute mark Bloodhounder shot a coyote coming from his left side. It was about 175 yards running pretty good. It disappeared then reappeared on a pond dam. He like me, wasn't going to let this one get away. He shot it while it was walking and it fell over the back side of the pond. We went over to find it. All we could find was blood. Lots of blood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif We started tracking it at 11:55 am. At 2:00 we stopped to eat lunch. At 3:00 we started again. (Now remember he his called Bloodhounder because of his bloodhound dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) We didn't have his dog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif We tracked blood (plenty of it) for 1 1/2 miles and 2 hours and 45 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Never found it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Evidently Bloodhounder shot SUPER COYOTE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I kept telling Bloodhounder that when we find this sucker, he better have an Ace of Spades in his mouth. We hated to give up the search, but his blood splatter was getting extremely thin and he went under his fourth fence into a field of high grass with little snow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif It would be near impossible to continue.

In Bloodhounders defense, it was extremely hard tracking. We crawled through alot of brush and thorns, under cedars, and over rocks. His comment was that the only thing that would make it worse, was to be drug through all of that by a 90 lb bloodhound!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The day was a success! We both gained confidence, and I got my first one out of the way!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

They say the first million someone makes is the hardest. The second one comes a lot easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm ready for the next one!!

Rooster_Feather

NO LONGER A COYOTE CALLING VIRGIN!!! I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO THE DANGERS (AND SATISFACTION) OF CALLING!!!

PS. If it wasn't for the great friends on this site I would have never succeeded in getting this first one. In a way, it is a victory for all of you guys that have helped. Much knowledge and support have come from you guys. Thank you very much!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click image for details

Last edited by a moderator:
an't it great, congrates on a great memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Later,
3rd Alarm

Congradulations on your first call in kill Rooster Feather, thats a great story . I know what you mean on those super coyotes , i had called in and shot my first yote the other week and it ran off with a real good blood trail . I tracked that thing for 2 miles throught the thick stuff and up a mountain, untill i ran out of sign. Any way keep up the good shootin.

You tell a great story rooster feather. I enjoyed reading it very much. Great job on the 1st one, and you are correct, it gets much easier now my friend. Keep at em, you are hooked now!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Rooster Feather,

Where are you hunting? I also hunt Central Oklahoma.

I tried going this morning but the snow/ice crunched so bad there was no way to sneak up on anything. No wind or noise at all. Every move I made seemed to echo. Did see a bunch of yote tracks and one set of bobcat tracks on top of logs along a creek.

Congrats on the kill, Sounds like you had a liver shot. Believe it or not, the lungs and heart are protected by the front shoulder on a coyote. I have a diagram, but I just don't know how to post it. The liver of a coyote is about where we would shoot to lung hit a deer.

Right on!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Nice Yote nice story cant wait to hear the next one. Lets get another
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Once you get that first one under your belt, you can relax a little more and fine tune your technique. Now that you know you can call them in, work them in a little closer. You'll spend a lot less time crawling over fences looking for them. Good job on #1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That away Rooster boy, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I told you that gun was a killer no matter who was pulling the trigger. Just jokin I am jealous of your success, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am still working on #1 (as you know)I can only hit then with the car, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif your gettin to shoot them. Feel free to rub it in until I get #1.

Congrats big guy !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Congrats Rooster!. Man I remember my first and what a rush it was. Great pic. Good job! I gotta get me a Foxpro, without my wife finding out about it. Hey, I could just tell her its a new type of flashlight. That might work.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Congratulations!!!!!!

Although I've been at this for over 20 years off and on (mostly off), I decided to get after it on a more serious note toward the end of last year. 1-1-06 was my first time out in a looong time and now I'm using a Foxpro too so it's kinda like starting over for me too. Guess I was lucky cuz I took care of business the first day out on my second stand and was mad cuz I blew a double. Dry and warm weather (hasn't rained here in 120+ days) and trying to find good spots has had me blanked since then. Missed a couple but no dead dogs. The next one may feel like the first one again!

Kinda got to ramblin' here. You Okies just keep up the good work!

Way to go!!! Great story and pic!!! Keep after em....I think they're all as exciting as the first one, it sure does get into your blood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back