204 Ruger Primers?

AWES/Wapiti

Has anyone had any problems with primers with the 204? I have shot a box of factory 32gr Honady bullets through my gun and have had no problems. But when I shot some 39gr sierra blitzKings today that I reloaded with H335 and CCI 400 small rifle primers I got what looks like a puddle or piercing as low as 25gr and it got worse as I went up. No other visual signs of pressure.
I read an article about the small rifle primers by James Calhoon and he said that piercing is common with some calibers. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this with the 204?
Here is a link to the article, its kinda interesting
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.html

4ecfc78f3217ddb0b615234ad0efa81a.jpg

Last edited:
I've got some Rem 7.5 and CCI 450 primers that look like that from the minimum load on up on Hodgdons website. I might need to get the pimer hole bushed.

If the factory ammo doesn't crater, but your hand loads do, then it is your loads, and not the gun.

Switch to Rem 7-1/2 - they have a harder (and thicker) cup, and start over again.

CS.

Yes I think that makes more sense to me as well. The factory loads have to be hotter than the minimum loads for the 39gr Sierra bullets. Everyone seems to believe that the remington primers are the better ones to use. Is this correct? I have always used cci without any problems, mind you I have never reloaded a hot small rifle cartridge like the 204.I have only reloaded for the 22Hornet in the small rifle category.

Rem. 7 1/2 are my favorite by far. They're not apt to cup like that. The primers are not flat. Thats good! The primer pockets should be alright. It looks to me like your firing pin may be a bit over length. The strike seems deep IMHO.

I will give the mags a try. If the mag primer does'nt work I will have to look into getting the pin hole bushed.
I will let you know if the mag primer works out!!
Thanks for all the posts

AWES/Wapiti-- That Calhoon article lists the primer cup thicknesses and you'll find that the Remington 7 1/2, CCI 450 and the CCI BR-4 primers have the thickest cups. The CCI 400 has one of the thinnest cups, with the Federal 200 being a tad bit thinner than the CCI 400.

That being said, from the looks of those spent primers, you do need to look at having the firing pin hole bushed or, like Jack said, if it is a new rifle, send it back to the factory. There just appears to be way too much primer metal going back toward and into the firing pin hole.

I have had the same problem with Federal Match primers doing that in my Encore 204.

The factory loads never did it but all my reloads did.

I guess I will try a thicker primer.

My 205m primers look like that also. My load is 28gr h4895 on a 35 grain berger. I dont notice it as a problem still ejects fine and shoots great.
What rifle are you using? my rifle is a rem sps 204. I also have a browning a bolt. I will try the browning and see what the primers look like.

Well fellas I have good news!! Just by changing to Federal 205m Primers I no longer have cratering on my 204. I shot it yesterday and there are no signs of cratering. Thanks for all the info.

Back