Ideas for a reloading bench?

Lonny

I've been doing a little remodeling and will soon have my very own room completely dedicated to reloading and hunting stuff. Anyone have any plans or ideas on what a good bench needs to have? Any links to where a guy might look at some benches to get some ideas? I plan on making the bench long enough to work on rifles also. I want to have have plenty of shelving and cabinet space for books,notes,pictures and all the stuff A guy can aquire with hunting and reloading.

I'd appreciate any ideas or directions to any plans.

Thanks

Last edited:
Lots of sources---saw today that even Cabela's has reloading bench kits for sale. I took an old computer desk and beefed it up with some extra 1"x6"s. Within the last few months there have been several posts showing off newly built benches--use the PM "Search" feature and you'll probably find a bunch.

Sorry for my recommendation being a bit off but I tried a SEARCH with no luck---I hope you have better luck. I know lots of other PM members have really neat looking reloading benches cause they've shown them before.

I bought a second hand solid core door for my bench and built a 2x4 base for it. Cheap and very sturdy. 6'8" x 36" bench top. I left that in the workshop in my old house. I now have a solid wood table that I bought, sawed it down the middle and screwed both halves to the wall. Plenty of space and sturdy.

Here is a good recommendation for you, if you take the corner of the room for your bench and build that bench into an "L" shape it makes it easier to use a swivel seat that you can just rotate to different stations. I like the long side about 6 feet and the short side 3-5 feet. I also like to mount the scale up on the wall so it does not get bumped or shaken while being used...JOHN

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my bench and gun cabinet. Both are custom built by yours truly. I am fortunate enough to be the son of a GREAT custom furniture builder and cabinet builder. A few of his many skills have rubbed off on me. I do like the link posted before hand better than my design for the feature of removing the press without taking any bolts out. That is pretty darned genius If you ask me. Maybe this gives you any idea's, maybe not. Its 6' wide, 6' tall, and 31" deep. If I had to do it again the upper cabinets would be shallower right now they are 16" deep, but would rather thjey be 12" so I had more counter space.
I like the concealed look too, it gives me a place to collect my clutter as well as store my reloading supplies and books. May not be what you are looking for, but may shine a light on an idea and help you develop your own custom design. Good luck and be sure to post some pics of the finished product!!!!!!

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Last edited:
Lonny,

Just as our house was in the final stages of being completed,one of the workers tossed his tool gag onto
the kitchen counter scratching the surface. What made it worse (for the builder) was that it was done right in front of my wife!
We got a new "L" shaped counter top (Custom Build) and the old one is now my 6'x8'reloading bench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You may want to check with builders and lumber yards, may be able to pick up a new "scratched" counter top.

Regards,

JD338

Hey thanks a bunch guys for the suggestions!

Dirigo, Navy Gunner, Quarter Round those are some great looking benches. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Getting to lay eyes on something really helps me to form a plan. I like the idea of doing the "L" shaped bench. I have a sheet of 1 1/2" melamine that would make an excellent top. That dang stuff is heavy! I've also been thinking of doing what Navy Gunner did and have cabinets on the ends of the bench and also have lots of shelving against the wall at the back of the bench where things can be within easy reach. I know with the bench I have now it becomes cluttered very easily and I want to have plenty of space.

Quarter Round: Is that a RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center setting on your bench? If so, how do you like it? Been thinking of buying one.

coltchris, Yes it is the case prep center and I really like it and the versatility. Big help if you have carpal tunnel or arthritis.

Added Edit
This is a pic of Bob T's pull out drawer from The Reload Bulletin Board thread on benches. Many ideas and materials to be used and having a look at the pictures helps with the final decision. I consider the height to be important. Some prefer desk height and other prefer standing/stool height. My old portable bench had me in the position of a monkey and something to do with a football. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Was a real pain.

100_0056.jpg

My reloading bench was salvaged from an old work bench in the mill. I had to cut it down to 36" to fit in the only available space in my shop. I have one set of shelves, and everything is very neat. I have lot's of stuff in a small space, and wish I had the technology to show photo's. I'm working on that. Butcher

i think the best advice I can give is to build everything twice a big and twice as strong as you think you need. I used some bolwing alley for mine which gave me a U shaped area that has about 30+ feet of bench, and as per murphys laws - its full

Back