Painting my live trap cages?? Y or N

knowjesus

Just got 2 new live traps, man are they shiney! should I paint them up camo with my Krylon camo paint or leave them as are? Mainly trying to catch possum, coons, fox? for the kids to see and have fun doing it.
Thanks

I have a couple big cage traps I got from RP Outdoors. They came painted black. Usually use for coon, but they say you can catch bob cat in them. Had 2 coons in one of them this morning.

RacconPair.jpg

My 20 yr old have-a-heart is still great for coon and still fairly shinny.

My first attempt at live trapping netted me a cat, a pole cat that is. That was fun. Those black with a white stripe kittys sure do stink.

Ive probably caught 30 skunks in my Hav-A-Hart trap. The best way I found to get them moved without getting sprayed is to approach the trap from the door end (so the solid steel door is between you and the varmint) with a towel in hand, and then wrap the towel around the sides and top of trap. I have found that with the skunk's poor vision, that if you get the towel around them and then pick up the trap by the handle, and then slide it into a garbage can, you can get them to the truck and take them out of town where they can meet Mr. 22LR. I usually open the door with the trap still in the garbage can, and hold it up with a stick or a clip of some type to hold it. Sometimes it can take some coaxing to get the varmint to come out, but I don't shoot them in the trap, it seems that whenever I do and they spray in my trap, it seems like the other critters can smell it and avoid it. Well, that seems to work for me, happy trapping!!

kevlars

well if ya want fox i would paint em light brown but if ya want coon and possum they wont care. And for fox you got to cover the bottom on the cage with pine needles or what ever the ground is they wont walk from dirt onto hard wire they will know something is up

CJ

Back