Has anybody used the Caldwell Lead Sled?

LucasEades

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I didnt know where else to put it. I tried out the Caldwell Lead Sled a while back, and was impressed with it. It helped me sight in my muzzleloader pretty well. What does everyone else think? There was one question brought up, and that was, will your gun shoot differently when you are out hunting with it, than when you sighted it in with the sled because the recoil of the gun pushes your shoulder back more than the sled. I honestly have no say either way. I know that I was impressed with it and that it helped me dial my gun in. That was just a minor question brought up. What do you think? Here is a picture of it. You have a front adjustment that raises and lowers, and you put two bags of shot on the little platform underneath the front rest of the sled.

100_0882.jpg

I have one I made about ten years ago that's just about the same thing.If there is any difference in point of impact it's not enough to measure.I use it only for heavy recoiling guns I have to sight in or proof fire.I don't like it when my shoulder turns blue

I use mine for heavy recoiling rifles, too. They now have an improved version that has the left-right adjustment on it, which was a major pain with the old one. I don't htink it is as precise as a front tripod rest and rear bag because of the pad under the butt. It seems hard for me to hold the pressure on the stock necessary to keep it in the rest and still be perfectly consistent.

Fast Ed

i bought one last week. i shot a 243 and 22-250 out of it at 100 yds and was very pleased with how solid it is. havent shot the big guns yet.

I like the idea of the lead sled, But I've been wondering if it could damage the rifle stock?? Your shoulder has a lot of give when firing a rifle, Seems that if the stock itself has to take the full load, it might crack. What do you guy's think??

Thanks,
AZHUNTER

az,i thought the same thing about the led sled but how about the scope and recoil lug.it might be perfectly fine but just wondering like your self.

Fast Ed, I had the same problem in the beginning. I really had to bear down and put a lot of downward pressure on the gun, but once I did that, it really helped me out. Az, and dave, I was wondering if that might happen with a heavy caliber. I was shooting a 50 caliber muzzleloader with 150 grains of powder and I didnt notice any problems, I shot 12-15 times also. I had no problems. I wonder if you get something like an 8mm or bigger if that would tear the stock up???? I do'nt know that it would, but I haven't tried. I would think it would be hard on the scope like you said dave. Thanks for everyone's input.

Stock damage is unlikely, as the buttstock pocket is very well padded.

This tool was a godsend during my recent testing of several .50 BMG rifles. I could not have fired the volume of rounds that I did without it. A buddy also used it to zero his 12 and 20 ga. slug guns, and said that it made them feel like 243's.

2 observations, it doesn't handle long pistol grips well (as stated above). My Serbu .50 just about made it on with a little finessing. AR shooters will experience a similar issue, but this sort of rest isn't really something an AR shooter would generally need.

And the State Arms Rebel's stock simply would not fit in the pocket, it was too burly. Thank God it weighed 40 pounds!

Anyway, it's a solid product that I will get a lot of use from. Got a good deal on it from Sportsmans Guide too, like $107 bucks!

Here is a stupid question....Where are you guys buying your lead shot for this sled? I'm looking for some cheap bags of lead shot that's in a durable bag (such as burlap or cloth bags). I have seen guys use shot bags at the range for rests but I never can find it locally.

I use sand bags with mine, empty shot bags I found at a local range and filled them with sand. lots cheaper than lead shot! and works Great!! Good Luck!...Bob..

Last edited:
Sand'll do just fine for most applications, but for the .50 BMG, I wanted the density of lead. Picked up several 25# bags of #6 shot at a gun show.

It is my opinion that parking the buttplate of the .50 BMG firmly against a fair sized spruce tree and then pulling the trigger sure seems to remove all felt recoil... trick is trying to reach around the tree to pull the trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
It is my opinion that parking the buttplate of the .50 BMG firmly against a fair sized spruce tree and then pulling the trigger sure seems to remove all felt recoil... trick is trying to reach around the tree to pull the trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

String and a periscope, now just need to find me a tree...LOL...JOHN

LOL, that is funny. Dog be gone, I think you are right in that it won't hurt your stock. I haven't had any problems. Like someone said, there is some padding in there also. I also like your video. Yotehunter59, sorry for the loss!

Back