AR upper to lower receiver lockup

It varies. Some are really tight and some are rattle traps. Supposedly loose fit doesn't hurt accuracy any, and the only downside is some find it annoying. If yours is loose you can always try an accu wedge to tighten it up.
Matt

If it is loose enough to rattle it will deffinatley affect accuracy.
Check take down pins for fit. May need oversize pins or
try the Accu-Wedge.

Quote:
How tight is the upper and lower receiver lockup supposed to be on an AR? Is it supposed to be loose and rattle?

If the "loose and rattling" bothers you, then this is what you need. It will tighten up the fit between the upper and the lower and be rock solid.

JP Rear Tension Pin For AR-15's

Quote:
If it is loose enough to rattle it will deffinatley affect accuracy.
Check take down pins for fit. May need oversize pins or
try the Accu-Wedge.

This statement is contrary to what I have experienced. I have shot consistent, tiny groups with AR's that you would swear were going to fall appart in your hands. I have never found any correlation between upper/lower fit and accuracy.

That being said, I don't like a sloppy fit either. On my own AR's that have developed any play, I have used the foam ear-plugs in the same fashion as the accu-wedge. They are not quite as stiff and do the same job.

I don't like using the expanding take-down pins. When you are a mile or more away from your truck and need to hinge your AR open, it's nice not to have to walk back to the truck for tools.

Quote:

I don't like using the expanding take-down pins. When you are a mile or more away from your truck and need to hinge your AR open, it's nice not to have to walk back to the truck for tools.

I've found a way around that on my AR! I cut a piece of styrofoam in a wedge shape to fit into the hollow A2 buttstock via the trap door. I shoved it in tightly and it fits snugly. I keep 3-4 small allen wrenches that fit various things on the AR (tension pin, scope rings, etc.) stuck into the styrofoam and they are always with me when needed.

Quote:
I've found a way around that on my AR! I cut a piece of styrofoam in a wedge shape to fit into the hollow A2 buttstock via the trap door. I shoved it in tightly and it fits snugly. I keep 3-4 small allen wrenches that fit various things on the AR (tension pin, scope rings, etc.) stuck into the styrofoam and they are always with me when needed.

Great I'dea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I usually just stick the small parts in a plastic bag, but this sounds better.

Back