.38 long sidearm? What is this?

varminteer

Ok, Im a novice when it comes to pistols, I need some help. Im looking at a .38 revolver that says "Ruby Extra" on it but has S&W handles and looks identical to a S&W, but it is Spanish made. It says .38 long CTG. on the barrel. I assume its an old revolver, Ive heard about the .38 longs made.

But do I shoot any .38 caliber ammo in it? I've been told not to shoot the .38 special +P (too much bang). Whats the difference in .38 S&W, .38 special, etc. What about .357 shells, someone told be they interchange, is that true.

And would this gun be accurate enough or powerful enough to carry while trapping, hunting?

Thanks for any help.

Interchangeabilty..You can fire 38S&W or 38 S&W Special or 38 Special +P's in a 357 magnum gun bot you can't fire 357 mag or 38special in a 38 S&W marked firearm. I do believe theres also a 38 Russian too.
I defintiely would not fire 38+p's in any firearm that is not of new manufacture and marked for it. I shoot them in my Colt Detective special and my S&W Jframes, they're not marked for it but will handle them fine.
If its safe to fire it would be a fine pistol to acrry on a trap line..lots of folks just carry a 22 for dispatching trapped animals. Or a sidearm for administering the "Cous de grace" after downing a game animal.

Ok, I can't shoot .38 special + P, but I can shoot .38 special, .38 S&W, .38 long, and .38 short- right? Where does one find .38 long ammo. Im guessing .38 long was originally a black powder round? I found out that this revolver is an old spanish made Smith & Wesson knock-off.

Any ways the price is definately right on this thing and I really like it, Im gonna get it.

There is a 38 Long which is an obsolete rimfire cartridge dating back BEFORE the civil war. Ammunition was available through the 1920s.

There is also the 38 Long Colt which was the official United States Army revolver cartridge from 1892 to 1911 when it was replaced by John M. Browning's brainchild, the Colt 1911 in 45ACP. I believe it is most certainly the 38 Long Colt that the revolver is chambered for. never fire anything but ammunition designated for that firearm.

Now the revolver itself could be a copy of a Smith & Wesson made by Fabrica de Armas Garantazadas in Eibar, Spain. The problem is there are a bazillion manufacturers in the Eibar region, and many of them are "cloners", so getting a definite make and model may be difficult without seeing it.

I personally wouldnt shoot this firearm with any other amunition without taking it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection!!!!!!

Thats right, its a .38 long colt. Problem is, I can't find any .38 long colt ammo. I did read online at an ammo place, to "download" 38 special for this gun, less powder I guess. I'll take it by a gunsmith next week, but I was already told by a few that its the exact same caliber as .38 special just with less "powder and velicity".

ditto on the gunsmith inspection. A couple hundred bucks for a newer gun to shoot is definitely cheap compared to surgery for repair or amputaion of mangled fingers. Even after inspection I'd test fire it with a string from behind a tree or other cover...just to be on the safe side.

This guy that has it has been shoting .38 special rounds through it, like almost a box since he got it. I think the gunsmith will tell me t shoot .38 special rounds. Or I could load them myself, loading them light, I got a roloading kit for X-mas I have yet to use.

Thanks for the info.

Back