Little Darlin' Wants to go Hunting in the Morning ...

Doug Bethe

Gentlemen,
This is what part of what parenting is about....... My 6th grade daughter was home this evening with older siblings. She left me this note on the kitchen table when I arrived home tonight from AMBUCS meeting.
"Dad, if I am asleep on the couch downstairs, wake me up because I will get a better sleep in my bed so we can go hunting in the morning. Signed, Whistle-Britches".
I'll keep this note forever ... we can hunt a good hour or so before church. Wish us luck ... she does pretty good on the calling part .. maybe we are crossing the threshold on the shooting/killing part.
DB

Doug, I hope you did good out hunting, but if not, it was still time well spent.

I remember going out for a couple hours ealy before church or sunday school, comming home bloody and having to take a shower and race out the door again. Those were the days:)

Be glad she is interested. Mine is 18 now and in college. She went till she was about 11 and then lost all interest. She did shoot an armadillo from about 150 yrds. last year while she was helping me cut wood. I told everyone about the shot and still am... Enjoy her while you can. Good luck.

Doug....that is so awesome! I don't have any kids yet, but I can't wait for the day. That is the coolest thing I think I have ever heard on this board. You made MY day man!!

Muss

Anna and I hit a few stands, but, it was quite windy and we didn't get any response. Couldn't even get the crows interested, it was that bad. BUT .... Anna and I had a great time. The kiddo likes getting all dressed in camo that's about 3 sizes too large. Can't wait till next time .... she's ready to go! Looks like we'll be lined up for Hunter Safety classes next season. Yippee!!
Thank you for your responses .... a bit of good news goes a long way in today's world.

My daughter is only two years old. She is already as big a hunting fannatic as I am. Her favorite show (besides Barney) is any hunting show. She has her own calls and already is a better caller than me.
smile.gif
And I sure get impressed when we go the local gunshop and she points out the varoius animals hanging on the wall and says "deer, elk, bufalo, javelina." And the best thing is all I have to do is ask her where she wants to go with daddy, and she says, "go hunting, shoot big deer, all gone."

Right on! My daughter is 3 now and she loves to "go shoot rats" with me. I am looking forward to getting her out in a stand with me some day. My two boys who are older aren't interested. Thank God for little girls!

------------------
Matt/Spinner

I can't wait to take my son out with me. He's just a few weeks over one and I got him using a circe call a few days ago. His mom is just thrilled
rolleyes.gif
that I am already teaching him to hunt coyotes, but can't wait till she'll get a little more time to relax.
biggrin.gif

Doug I'm happy to hear your kids went to go out in the woods with you. My son is 12 & has very little intest in such things. I wish he was like your kid. We need more young people in the woods. So it all can go on.

Love my daughter. Maybe some day she'll have an interest...

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Thanks for posting Brock's picture, Critr! He is quite the hunting partner. He has spent all of his life going to the field with me. When he was no more than about 8 months old I used to poke him in a kiddie pack and take him flyfishing and shooting gophers with me on the north fork of the Tongue River in Wyoming. Both of my sons started shooting when they were 3 and now my 10 year old is an acomplished trap shooter. My youngest normally sits pretty still and stays quiet when we are on a stand, but on this day we were trying out a piglet in distress tape and he just couldn't keep from laughing every time the piglet would squeal. Didn't see a thing, but really who cares. I am glad that I can raise my boys the way my father raised me. Later Jeff

Awesome photo Jeff! That smile is worth a million bucks no doubt. Ya'll with young children make sure you savor every moment now...they grow up fast. My daughter, my best fishing/hunting partner is all grown up now and in college.....1500 miles away in Texas. I'd give my left cornea to be with her and enjoy the outdoors again...on a regular basis. Priorities change with kids once they reach a certain age, hunting or fishing with dad takes a backseat to career moves, school schedules, boyfriends and work. Spose that's life though, was with me too. Sooner or later you'll have to let go, so my advice is to kick some booty with them now, every friggin chance you get, the hell with that overtime sometimes, the hell with your buddies, the hell with rediculous obligations that can be dealt with later, kids are kids for only a very short time. Wish I could turn the clock back and spend even more time with her, it's my loss so I gotta live with it. Those hours worked, those trips taken with buddies all seem so insignificant now.

Back