Choke Constriction - HeviShot Dead Coyote and #4 Buck

Rayco1111

Patterned my 12 gauge Browning with Dead Coyote and #4 Buck. Interesting results I thought I'd share. I used a standard factory Browning Full Choke and (after talking with George at Trulock and the folks at Environmental which makes the Dead Coyote), Trulock tubes choked .680 and .665. I know these sound tight for such large shot but I followed their advice. All testing was with a 30 inch circle at 40 yards.

With a standard full choke, both grouped in the 70-80% range. Nothing to write home about.

With the .665 and .680 constriction, both Dead Coyote and #4 Buck grouped in the 90-92% range. The difference was the patterns with Dead Coyote were a little more evenly distributed with the .680, and the #4 Buck was a little more evenly distributed with the .665. I would have thought these contrictions would be WAY to tight for such large shot, but these results prove otherwise, at least in my gun.

Incidently, despite these 90%+ patterns, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying these loads on a coyote at over 50 yards. I know guys have claimed kills much farther, but I think the risk of losing a wounded animal would be too high, as patern density drops off. Remember, we are talking large shot and there aren't all that may pellets, even in the 3 inch loads I was using.

By the way, I was going to buy .670 and .675 constriction tubes and try them, but decided not to since the results with the .680 and .665 were so similar. I would think the other chokes being in the middle would also be similar.

For what it's worth, once the Dead Coyote loads I have are shot up I'll be sticking with the #4 Buck. Much cheaper and very similar pattern density with bigger pellets.

Would be interested to hear what others think, especially if they've done some patterning tests.

Your test results and conclusions are exactly what I've been "preaching" here for a long time now. Good man for taking the time, money, and effort to research and pattern your gun with various chokes and loads to see exactly what works best for you.

I am using a Pattern Master choke on my Beretta, don't know what the measurements are on it, but it's not a full choke.

My testing was also done with a 30" circle at 40yds with Fed. #4 BK, then I circled each hole and then place a "true" life size drawing of a coyote over the center of the circle.

I then could tell just how many pellets would hit the body. After 3 firings the average pellet count into the body was 17 out of 42. Although there were more pellets that had actually fell into the circle, they did nothing except move some air.

I have taken many dogs at the 50 yd range and only one required the 2nd shot.....so far!

Quote:
I am using a Pattern Master choke on my Beretta, don't know what the measurements are on it, but it's not a full choke.

I believe your Patternmaster is tighter than you might think. Kick's Ind. BuckKicker choke measures .680" and the Patternmaster is pretty close to that if I'm not mistaken. I and my Dad both shoot 3" .12 gauge No. Four Buck from .660" chokes with great results to the fifty yard line. I shoot a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder and Dad a Hastings.

Well you got me curious, so I just checked the Pattern Master and it mic's at .730. This is measured from the end that fits into the barrel of course and with out having a longer measuring device I can not get into the center.
It kinda looks like it could have a "taper" towards the center tho.

Last edited:
I just patterned my Remington 870 yesterday. I had first tried the Federal and Remington #4 buck in 2&3/4" with full and modified chokes earlier and wasn't happy with the results. So I headed back to the store to get some Federal Premium? 3" to try and saw that they had Dead Coyote in 3" so I got that instead.
I got the HS Strut Undertaker choke .675 and tried it with the Dead Coyote ammo and got good results at 40yards with it. I did 4 shots with that choke and 1 with the full and the full opened up alot.
Here is a pic of the best pattern. It shoots a little high and I was just standing and not using a rest so I ended up above the circle that I was aiming at. I dug around in the garage and got a large plastic flower pot to set over the pattern and that circle is 16.5".
target1.jpg

There are 50 T shot in the 3" and there is 47 inside the circle. My other 3 shots had 35, 36 and 39 inside the circle. Only one pattern had any pellets outside of 26".
I got the choke from Midway and its less than $20 and works for me. Now all I need is for the wind to settle down. By 10AM yesterday it was 30-35mph with gusts to 55.

scentral -

Are you saying that all of those pellets are in a 16.5 inch circle at 40 yards? If so, I guess I can see stretching the outside effective range a bit more. Maybe I should tr the HS choke. If that's what it is, that is an incredible pattern. Anyone else getting patterns this tight?

Yes, the circle is 16.5". I searched this forum and others and figured I needed a choke for the Dead Coyote ammo between the full choke .691 and a turkey choke .665 and the Undertaker choke looked to be the size .675 that I would need. It is the hevishot model. Not sure if the Undertaker choke is the magic one or if the size of restriction is the reason but either way I am way happy. I'm not concerned about the cost of Dead Coyote as I probably won't take a lot of shots on coyotes in the open areas I hunt but want it for those coyotes that come in fast and focused on a quick meal.

Anyone else had the same experience as scentral with the HS Strut tubes? I'm wondering if I should try one or two, but the Trulocks I have are only a month old. Any input appreciated. Any experience with the Hastings Turkey chikes as well?

"Hey coyote control
Is your Pattern Master the choke with the speed bumps about halfway down the choke's bore?"

Yes HOGBUSTER1 you are correct. I have one for my Beretta and 870 and I only shoot #4 BK thur them. Nevered tried anything else.

I would never hesitate to polk at a dog at the 55 yd range with this combo, if he is a "side" shot.

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Pattern Master. When I pattern mine at 40 yards, the Dead Coyote 3.5" loads tend to be donut hole patterns. The Federal copper plated #4 Buck tend to be more evenly spread. Like Rayco said, I am going to use the Fed Premiums. They are cheaper.

I tested Dead Coyote in my Benelli SBE with Rhino .673 & .660 chokes. The .660 patterned DC and 4 Buck better, which is great for me since it's primarily my turkey choke and I don't have to buy anohter one.

I ran 6 sizes and lengths of hevi-shot, 0000 Buck, and copper-plated BB's, through 6 chokes in each barrel of the 3.5-inch over and under I prefer for hunting. Not cheap, ammo or chokes, but certainly not expensive compared to gasoline, or a single miss in the field. Don't ya just hate it when an animal "runs through" a pattern on the fly and keeps running? It was fun, interesting, and very revealing.

One of the cheapest chokes turned out to be the best in this gun using the load I finally settled on, 3.5" Dead Coyote, and it was a Cabela's labelled "Hevi-shot" Turkey Super Full for under $30. It mic'd .660". And that combo killed quite a few different critters this last season. They don't "run through" Dead Coyote.

Then I saw the thread called Heavy Shot Dead Pig. Wow. One shot kill on a 180 lb hog. Everyone who hunts predators ought to try Dead Coyote.

Everything good seems to get discontinued. I'm going to stock up. Ammo lasts a long time.

Back