J-lock start?

Ok....so were is the J-Lock located?
Bayou City Boy you are saying above, that the spring is too long, so what is stopping some one from just removing a couple coils?

Maybe I miss it somewhere here, but what was the purpose for the Lock anyway?

Thanks

coyote control,
Below is a picture of two Remington 700 bolts from my 223s. The J-lock bolt has a key that comes with the gun and works like a door key. If you turn it to the locked position, the bolt will not open. I figure it was something they tried in place of using a trigger lock if someone wanted it. Both guns seem to shoot fine and I just always leave the J-lock in the unlocked position.
DSC01479.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
coyote control:

The firing pin spring on the J-lock rifles was too long and bunched up and not uniform throughou its length and it scraped the sides of the bolt interior wall.
-BCB

The spring is not too long - it is larger in diameter than the pin shaft so it coils a little - The 700 pin springs have been this way for 50 years (I was a gunsmith in my early life), and they have never changed.

If you cut the spring, it will not change the coiling, just slow the lock time and make the rifle more prone to cratering primers.

CatShooter

J locks are not a problem until the coiled spring gets a kind of kink in in it that makes it scrap against the inside of the bolt body. When you cock the bolt, if you hear a kind of scraping against the bolt body, then replace the J Lock system on the bolt.

Bobby Hart of Hart rifle barrels told me that he had built many 1000 yard J Lock rifles with no problems.

Back