Thoughts on Hornady's 22 Hornet factory 35 grain Vmax load for coyotes?

HANKFAN

I recently picked up a Ruger 77 22 Hornet and was looking for a good factory load for short range 150 yards or less coyote load. I was looking at the Hornady 35 grain Vmax factory load. Has anyone used this load for yotes and if so what is your thoughts on it?

They punch nice holes at 100yds from my #1. I haven't shot a yote with them but at 3000fps I would expect a pretty good wap. I only have reloads left but expect them to be similar to the factory loads/that was my goal. If I catch up with the backyard yote tonight I'll let you know.

I have used the 35gr Vmax on jackal.

The ammo is reloaded no Hornady factory ammo here in South Africa.

I shot two broad side and the Vmax left two entrance and exit wounds.

The jackal were picked up with in 20 paces from where they were shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gerhard

Try the 46gr win. hollow points.They stablize and shoot very good outta most hornet rifles.I don't think the coyotes like em though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifMy rifle didn't care for the 35 v max hornady.

Gerhard, How far out have you been getting clean kills?
Do you know what velocities you are getting? Jackals look about the size of a fox, 10 pounds/4.5kg is this accurate.

I have been shooing Hornadys in my .243 and .257 Roberts. I like the Light Magnums in both calibers, and have been using the 58 grain Varmit Express in the .243 for coyotes and bobcats.

I have been all over town looking for any type of Hornady (Custom or LM) for the .257 Roberts and nobody has it.

Most places don't carry ANY Hornady ammo, which is very frustrating.

I had a friend load me some v max to try out on fox and yotes in my ruger hornet.Here is the load:IMR 4227 11.5gr 40gr V-max.This load is near max.I tried it out on yotes but wasn't impressed.It is however VERY accurate and will plum smoke any varmit size critter into mist! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifDo yourself a favor and try the 46gr win hollows.This factory load is tough on coyotes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I used the 40gr Nosler BT for coyotes in my Hornet, but I did not like the results. This bullet just would not anchor them very well. I would think the 35gr Vmax is less effective, but I have not used them on anything.

I use a Barnes 45gr XLC at about 2,950fps and I limit my broadside shot to about 175yds, and head-on shots to about 100yds. I found if I stretch those distances much, I get runners.

Back