Is a 22" barrel to short for 22-250

bowhunter71

I want to buy another 700 lvsf in 22-250.I have one in 204 ruger and I really like it.But I want a heavier bullet for coyote hunting,so I want a 22-250.I was wondering if I should get something with a 24" barrel instead of the LVSF with a 22" barrel.Does anyone know what the velocity difference would be between a 22" and a 24" barrel with like a 50 or 55 grain V-max factory load. Did I mention I really like the LVSF.
Thanks,Jeff

I think that in order to do justice to the 22-250 you do need a longer barrel than 22 inches. My 22-250 has a 26 inch sporter barrel. Someone else will have to answer the question about velocity difference. Could be anywhere from 50 to 100 fps faster with the 24" compared to the 22" barrel.
The 22" will make a lot of noise too.
Don

I own two tikka 22-250s and they both have 22 7/8 barrels ,both group fantastic and velocity is good 3600-3800.So i would say 22 is fine,look at rem lvsf.

no, it's not to short. The 250 works good in short barrels, they chamber many XPs in 250, and velocity is not far behind a rifle, you'll be fine.

Isnt most of your Savage factory rifle has a 22 inch barrel in like the Model 11 or 10 and both good shooting guns. I have a Rem 700 22 250 with a 24 inch barrel. Cant tell the diff. I did have a Rem model 7 in a 22 250 and i didnt like it to much. I think the 22 inch will be fine. VM

to get the full potential out of a 22-250 you need a 26 inch barrel. i have a 26inch and 2 24 inch. you will probably only see the difference over a chrony.

A few years back a buddy had a .22-250 with a 22" sporter weight barrel and I had a .22-250 with a 24" varmint weight barrel. We shot a lot os the same ammo in both Rifles (both for accuracy and over a chronograph). Much to my surprise my buddies 22" sporter weight .22-250 barrel shot faster with ever single load we tried than my 24" varmint weight .22-250 barrel.

There is a lot more to it than barrel length.

Larry

I agree with having a longer barrel for the 250. You generally see about 50 fps difference per inch of barrel. However, as mentioned, there is more to barrels than the length to get performance.

Larry,
You can't say the difference was due to barrel length. Barrels vary a lot in what velocity they give. Your barrel would probably have given even more velocity if longer. The only way you can say for certain what barrel length does to velocity is to take an individual barrel and gradually cut it down. This has been done many times.

Jack

Mr. Roberts makes a good point. You can't put a value per inch of length in regard to velocity. There are too many other variables. .0002 of an in. in land dia. will have a greater effect on velocity than barrel length. Buy the gun that has the features you like and feels good in your hands.

Quote:
Larry,
You can't say the difference was due to barrel length. Barrels vary a lot in what velocity they give.
Jack

No I was trying to say that there is more to it than JUST barrel length. Guess I didn't explain myself very well.

Yes barrel vary a lot in their internal dimensions from one to the next.

I had a similar experience when a buddy that had two .280 AI Rifles, one a 24" and one a 26" wanted me to chronograph his loads. Yep again the shorter barrel was faster, but like you said Jack, it wasn't due to length but rather the individual barrels.

Larry

Last edited:
I had the same concern two years ago when I was thinking of buying a 22-250. That 22" barrel just looked too short.

Now I have have both a Sako and a Tikka in 22-250 with a 22" barrel and a Remington VSSF 22-250 with a 26" barrel. I use the Sako and Tikka as calling rifles. Both are super accurate and handy.

When I reload, I use the Quickload program to eliminate or reduce any muzzle flash in the shorter 22' barrels. Paint

Back