Pittbull Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pit vs. mastiff? With some breeds it depends more on the dog than the breed. But more so then not a pit will probably win in a dog fight. That is what they were breed for. Most mastiffs where breed to guard and protect. But it really depends on the dog. My johnson american bulldog got in a tussle with my friends pit and I had to get a break stick to get my dogs jaws off my friends pitbulls neck. So it is not written in stone but I would never think a big dog is going to win because of size. A 45 pound pit could kill my 120 pound bull mastiff because she is not bred to fight other dogs. So size really doesn't have alot to do with it. It's all about "gameness".Good website for dog breeds www.moloss.com. And the pepper spray is not a bad place to start if you can't carry handguns in public like here in chicago. It is better than nothing. But once again it really depends on how committed the dog is so no it will not work in all circumstances. In any case the pit should be on a leash especially if it can be agressive and the bottom line is it's the owners fault for letting the situation happen.

rjh,
I think if your gonna be in a public area where there are kids and posibbly other animals you should have your dog on a leash even if it is trained or not. It's just better for everybody. You dont offend anyone and no one gets afraid to be in that area for fear that the dog might be off leash.
I know my wife wont be comfortable to go up there for awhile. She'll be skiddish the whole way,not really enjoying the hike at least for the first week or so.

The bad thing about it is this is actually the second encounter dealing with a pit on the same trail. the last time We were without our dogs and ran into a guy that had two on a leash that were just going crazy. I thouhgt they were gonna get loose!

Cougardaville, I hear what you are saying and I have been thinking of doing just that...

rjh.. While I agree a seasoned "fighting" pit would likely come out on top of a larger,say house dog, I disagree with the thought that size plays no role at all.It is really the same as the old boxing adage "a good big man will always beat a good small man"
While I was in Japan (where dog fighting is huge)I befriended a couple locals who were involved in dog fighting. Through the course of our conversations I found that the preferred dog there was a Japanese Tosa, which is a Mastiff type dog, and that pit bulls are really considered a joke. In fact as I recall they actually laughed when I posed the question of how a pit would stand up to the tosa. They said every so often someone will show up with one and the result is always the same, easy money..Dont be fooled,the mastiff was not always as lovable and docile as they are now either and will revert to type when pushed to do so, as I was witness to....

A tosa which looks like a mastiff and has been bred to bring out the gameness that most mastiffs don't have another factor is that a pit can fight for a long period when most other dogs will tire out. My bullmastiff will get mean when pushed and have no doubt she is very effective (as I have seen).But I would never think she would come out on with a pit unless she got a lucky bite. But this is all really opinion and I hate to see dogs fight as that usaually hits me in the pocket book. My vet likes to see me walk in the door as I have three dogs.by the way another dog that will give a pit a good fight is the Bully Kutta.I also heard that they are fight caucasian mountain dogs in russia."It's not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog."Good dog discussion on a hunting board.By the way these my opinions and i'm not trying to be a Smart A**.

I really ment the owners of the aggressive dog should make sure there dog is on a leash. I will not take my bulldog out without a leash and carry a muzzell in case of other dogs being present. So the owner of the pit should know the breed and take precautions just as I do.Thanks

Yes, sorry for getting so far off topic, and rlh, I agree with you on the muzzle part.

I think NASA had the best idea for RezDoggin, a stun gun, but it is a shame when someone has to prepare for a dog attack just to be able to enjoy the outdoors..

Yeah it sucks I love my dog and he is a super friendly people dog but i'm not naive enough to think that he is like that with everyone or every thing. About 1 month ago I was coyote hunting and was almost attacked by three feral dogs. They were actually coming at me and I had no choice but shoot two of them. The only one that didn't shoot looked like a full bred pit.Of the two one looked like it was a pit mix and the other looked like a black lab/pit mix.Both had what look like fighting scars on their faces. People like to drop off dogs by my house or they were strays who knows but I felt horrible.

What is the latest Rezdoggin? I watched this on the news tonight and I thought of your thread. This is the only article I could find.

Dogs kill Rio Arriba man

Coyote, N.M. -- Investigators aren’t sure when a man was attacked and killed by two dogs in Rio Arriba County.
The man was attacked by somewhere between the villages of Gallina and Coyote, and his body may have been there for some time.

New Mexico State Police officers are handling the investigation. The man’s name has not yet been released, and there is no word on whether the dogs have been captured.

Yuccabush,
I saw that news release! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That guy was from the same area I'm from and was working for a lady up north. He had worked at this house on many occassions without any problem. I heard he bled to death cuz no one was home and they didnt arrive for a few days.
Last I heard was,the dog was in an area shelter and they had'nt decided if it would be put down.

As for my situation, I have'nt seen the lady or dogs again since I suggested she return to her more secluded hiking area ,if she still wanted to walk the dogs off leash. I'm still packing though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A new problem arose! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Now, I've got a pitbull hangin around my house. I've seen it chasing the local cats in the neighborhood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gifinfact It's chased a few right through my driveway. It has a collar on it and I've seen it at the same house a few times but mostly i've seen it in other peoples yards in the neighborhood, so it's another pet out of control. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif These people get pets and they dont take care of them they just let them run and they dont feed or water them! I see them drinking out of the flowerbeds almost everytime I water them! Can't blame the animals,especially in this heat!
I figure I'll give the dogcatcher a call since the pitbull issue is still hot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Man people need to handle their animals. They do not realize the resposibilty the have when they have a dog that can be agressive that is part of being a dog owner. They should lose their dog before something bad happens, ends up in the news and causes resposible people tp pay the price when a breed specific law is enacted.

Here's an update guys! The pit and bulldog that got my dogs riled have'nt been seen on the trail anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif and the young pit that was in my neighborhood terriorizing all the cats and dogs went head to head with a .22 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif,atleast thats what the report sounded like. I heard the shot a couple of eves ago and heard the dog scream all the way home. Last ,i've seen or heard from him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Again, the dog pays the price cuz of the owners stupidity..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

i dont know about i pit but when i want my hounds to let go of a coon i just grab there ear, twist it a little and pull and usually i dont even have to pull

Quote:
Get a bull.
pitbulls3.jpg

pitbulls2.jpg

Hate to bring this back from the dead, but for some reason crapshoot forgot to post the last pic in this series....

pitt.jpg

While I happen to hold a dim view concerning pitbulls myself, I'm totally at a loss to find any good or compelling reason to dredge up this months-old thread--let alone add to it!

This does not reflect well on our predator-calling pursuit, even if it weren't a TOS violation, which it now would clearly seem to be.

LionHo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back