Pittbull Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make the complaint. Hopefully it will prevent another dog owner or parent from dealing with what you have experienced lately. Stay armed and walk with your dogs as well. The lawsuit is a scary thing to deal with but your personal freedom is more important. Once you have set the tone legally and you have given this woman proper advice, you are better set in the event you have to defend yourself or your dogs. My uncle, a NYC police seargent once shot a massive Akita while off-duty. He was walking his own giant and loveable Newfoundland when it was viciously attacked by the Akita. Once that fight was over the Akita came for him and he shot the dog. The owner also had a family memebr that was in the NYPD and threatened charges, while my uncle replied that he would sue as well for damage to him and his dog. The case ended there.

EDDIE,
Your right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif "Personal Freedom" is at stake especially when i've been walking up there for 19 yrs and never had any problems till now. I like dogs just as much as the next person and I feel if your gonna take them out in public you have to put in the time to have them atleast leash trained. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif If the shoe were on the other foot and I did have a dog like that,I'd have him in my fenced yard protecting my stuff and that would be where he'd stay! To risky for my likin!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

This person is setting the dogs up for "failure"....make the report, and stay out of their path. No, you should not have to..but we know how this stuff goes. A dog TRAINED to fight is now a weapon, not a dog, what a shame this continues to go on.

I agree 100% ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif The bad thing is it's always at someone elses expense not the person who ruined the dog in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I would file. Just because you file does not mean that it has to be used. But if you do need to use it you can't go back and have the past situations documented the same.

Update! Yesterday, no woman,no dogs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Waitin to hear back from the Sheriff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

File the complaint if only to have a history of trouble with that dog and idiot owner. I had to do same with a neighbor a while back and they havn't let their dog run loose since.

Well, I made the report so it's on record /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifand it's been a week since I've seen the Lady or dogs so I think she may have taken my advice and returned to her o'l stomping grounds! I 'll give it another week or so or at least till my dog heals up before I head up there with them on leash of course.
Thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

RezDoggin, this wont really work in your situation, but it worked for me last summer. I have a neighbor who we are pretty sure raises Pit's as fighting dogs. They have a treadmill that they run the dogs on and harnesses that they attach weight to and have the dogs pull it around their property etc..
In any case, last summer one of my two English Mastiff's was out in the back yard doing his business when I heard a commotion. I went out to find that one of the neighbor's Pit's had gotten out of his yard and came into my yard, I assume to attack my dog, well my dog had the Pit by the throat shaking it like a rag doll and the first thing I thought of was to grab the garden hose. I forced the spray nozzel into the side of my dogs mouth and let her rip. After about 3 or 4 seconds my dog let go and I quickly put him in the garage. I called the neighbor and told him what was going on, he came over and carry his dog home, who was still lying on the ground bleeding.He was not very thankful, which kind of ticked me off, so I told him the next time I would just let my boy finish the job.

What you should do is lift the back legs of the dogs up so they are higher than the head the dog will lose jaw bite presure.I have a Johnson american bulldog and a bullmastiff. I know for a fact that this works. But you should do this to your dog and the other owner do it to their dog. Don't do this to the other dog if you don't it well . You can also carry a breal stick to break the bite of the pit.But this is what I would do......PEPPER SPRAY

Well fellas,
So far no more dog or lady. I guess she figured it's not worth the trouble. I havent been up there since the start of this vr hunt started Feb 11th. I been out hiking to one Yotin spot a night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifDid good the first week now it's gotten slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif,at it again tonight though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

MoparF,
that would of bugged me too! The neighbor should of be thankful he had a dog left to carry home by the sounds of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

rjh,
I hope I dont have another encounter like that again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm gonna have to get out there soon as this hunts over so we'll see what happens. I gotta take my dogs out cuzz their gettin a little fat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Does the pepper spray really work?

Pepper spray on a pitbull.Hmm,I can only tell you my experience with that.I have on hand several cans of bear spray,Large 9 oz cans.I hear a commotion outside and see a large pit trying to chew threw the chainlink fence to get at my neighbors lab.I go outside with my bear spray and about that time the pit had went to the other side of the house and the lab jumped the fence and ran over to me.I hold onto the lab and the pit sees him and here he comes.Did I mention he was a really big headed pig.Well he gets about 8 feet from me and I blast him right in the face.That did a lot of good,here comes the sob for another faceful.He did that 2 more times and his head was orange from the spray.I run the lab into my house and I guess the pits owner heard the commotion,cuz when I came back outside with my 357 the pit was gone.So I mosey up the street and tell him what just happened and the guys coughing and eyes tearing up from the spray and I tell him next time that happens there ain't gonna be no spray but 158 gr hp in that dogs brain.He surprised me and apologized and thanked me for not killing his dog and said it would never happen again.And it hasn't.When I called animal control and they came out and took a report(covering myself also in case I had to kill that beast in the future)the guy kind of laughed when I told him about emptying my bear spray on that pit.He told me that pits were not that affected by pepper spray and he said that the attack would've continued if I wouldn't have put the lab in the house.They are a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands of a careless owner.Protect your dog and yourself.take care,daveyboy.

P.s.Sorry for the long story but I think you need to know from someone who has experienced using pepper spray on a pitbull.

Don't usually post much on this site. I am mainly just a reader that has been here for awhile, but I have a pit and just felt the need to chime in. The only dog that I have ever been bitten by was a cocker spanial that bit me in the lower leg from behind while I was delivering news pappers as a pre teen he didn't even break skin. On one site that I found while considering what breed I would find a good match for me had statistics that said smaller dogs were much more likely to bite then a larger breed (probally a little bias since it was pro pitt bull) but made a good point it is much more likely to be made more public and brought to more attention when an animal severly injurres a child or another animal and lets face it larger dogs have a bigger bite for the majority not saying that is the only reason for a bad rap as was stated owners have a large part to do with that. MoparFreek there is actually some organized competitions for dogs where they attach weights to spechial pulling harnesses for there animal to see how much a particular animal is capable of not saying that your neighbor is doing this or not but then again guess you'd have to ask him why in the world he was doing this with his animals to find out even, then again you may still not know for sure here is a link to one site http://www.apbtconformation.com/weight_pulling.htm I know it sounds strange but some think we all are wackos shooting wood chucks yotes etc. Sorry it is so long, James

pangborn83, Thats what I thought too when they first moved in, that they were into weight pulling, but I have yet to see a cart or sled. It looks to me like they are training for endurance and not strength nessecerily. I never see them harnessed to anything larger than what looks to be a single 45lb plate, we are next door neighbors, but our houses are about 150 yards apart, so I am not for sure on the exact weight.
Also when they first bought the place I had went over a couple times to welcome them etc... and we got on the subject of dogs, as I saw his pit's and was asking about them and he proceeded to tell me (while never admitting to participating himself) how his dogs were out of some great fighting dogs and so on.. In any case he quickly found out that his 40 or 50lb pit had no answer for a 217lb mastiff..

That sucks I hate when people abbuse their animals with envolvement of such poor activities. Have to agree a pit vs a mastiff would put the pitt on the looseing end of the deal. I always wanted a mastiff but thought it would be rather hard for the wife to handle while I was driving and all so that did not happen I also live in the city currently so it would be unfair to them to be cooped up in such tight confines I know my pitt loves tearing around the house and his walks. Well thought I'd have to mention it as I had seen it and thought maybe. James

MoparFreek....not really none of my business, BUT if you suspect they are training fighting dogs, an onominious phone call to authorities would be a good suggestion. Your dogs made out okay, other dogs or "kids" may not?? Pit bull or any dog breed fighting is a sick sport! Once they are trained to fight, their lives are ruined, not ever going to be a trusted dog!!

Posted for AfricaPredator.

This is what a South African Porcupine is capable of.

Dog1.jpg

Dog2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back