Pittbull Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RezDoggin

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. My dog a Rott had his first run-in with a pitbull the other day.we were out on a hike and this pit bull attacks my dog while on leash, and had him by the throat but let go after about 3 minutes or so , not too much damage done just a little puncture. What I want to know is what if anything can you do to get one of those dogs to let go when this happens. Needless to say I'm packing now!

A bullet in the top of the head seams to work pretty good. I hate those things.

I also would like to hear of a good way. I think that it has to be in the will of the dog to let go!

I dont want it to come to that but I've been packin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif The first time I ran into the owner, I was headed up there with my Yote gun figuring I'd do some calling once up there. Well she feaked out when she saw my rifle and started telling me to watch out cuz her dogs were with her, somewhere. They were off down the hillside cuz I never did see them. I told her not to worry i wasnt huntin dogs! Not them kind anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This time she had them off leash again and mine were on leash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif I just wonder what will happen the next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

If you shoot her dog, she will sue. You were carrying a gun, that is premeditation. If you only wound her dog, you will also be liable for the tens of thousands of dollars in medical costs she will surely produce.

Zap the dog with a stun gun the next time it attacks. That will knock it out cold. No marks, no injury, no law suit, and dog thinks twice before attacking again.

I don't know if it would help any but you might want to consider filing a complaint against her and the dog. May not have any effect now but in case of any future lawsuits you will have documentation that there was a situation. Nothing helps more in court than time date documents. Also, if anybody else has had problems and reported it you may be able to prove and ongoing problem. Doesn't mean that you need to press charges on anybody just shows proof if needed.

I hate to hear these stories about pit bulls. I have one myself and she is the smartest, most loyal, faithful and well behaved breeds I have owned. BUT they are power houses! Just as the Rott these dogs have amazing jaw strength, speed and good eye site. Bottom line, this breed has NO BUSINESS out of the owners site! Mine is at my side or contained. She's trained and been tested on the training, should she fail, such as attacking another dog for no reason, I would put her down myself! I agree you should report this dog, if it made an attack on your dog, it has done it before and will do it again. The reason these dogs get a bad rap is because of the owners! This breed needs to be with its people, they are devoted like a German shepherd, leave them alone and they will get in trouble, and it will be big trouble! Glad your dog is ok!

Get a bull.
pitbulls3.jpg

pitbulls2.jpg

I agree with turning it in for having a record of it. I run hounds on many miles of country. people have no right to shoot my hounds unless (I quote) unless my hounds are threating them or thier live stock etc. one of my buddies had a hound get shot last year for no reason and it cost the guy $4000 plus the charges he got. if this dog attacts your dog for no reason yes you do have a right to destroy the dog.The stungun might be alot easier to carry and should be effective to stop it. even a small bat in your hind pocket.

Vargy

I work at a Vet Clinic, Some people hate pitbulls, just because they're pitbulls. The truth is there are a lot of people that buy them and treat them like crap so thats what the dog does to people and other dogs. But majority o pits I have encountered have had grat owners and are great dogs.
I if a dog is trained to fight thats what they will do its not their fault its the owners. But if my dog were attacked by a pit I probaly would kill the bastard or see to it that the owner must put it down.

Last edited:
My neighbor and I were standing in his yard a couple of months ago, and watched this pit bull chase a little girl into the house when she was in the front yard. The dog then proceeded to come our way no aggressively. It came in to my neighbors yard and started to sniff around. Looked like he was going to leave a nice steaming pile! From 50 yards away I just started to say go home. The dog went into attack mode. It came at us and we separated a little bit enough so that the neighbor could get a couple of heave objects. At the time the dog’s attention was more on me. He also told his wife to call 911. He had a heavy level and all I had was a thick broomstick handle. When hit wife opened the front door to give the description to the 911 operator the dog turned on her chasing her into the house. Once the door was closed we were back as the primary targets. A couple of minutes later we see this lady pushing what appeared to be a toy baby stroller with a new born in it say don’t hurt her she is a nice dog…?????

She came into the front yard and put a lease on the dog and it was like the dog snapped. It was totally different. She was calm and docile. We started to tell her what was going on and that she needed to do something about this dog because of all the little kids in the area. She said that she has never had a problem before. I them proceeded to tell her that if that dog ever comes into my yard with either me or my kids out there that the dog will not be coming home. She said well do what you have to do I understand. That is not a comment of a good dog! And it was like she didn’t care.

By the time that the sheriff got there the dog was on a leash and nothing was going on there was nothing that he said he could do. I have had a couple of run ins like this with pit bulls. None of them being good.

Since then the dog has been seen wondering by the school with no owner around.

The only problem is that we aren't sure where exactly that sh lives. Thank god we haven't seen this dog in a while now.

Thanks Guys for all your comments. Well, I didnt have a chance to get my hike in yesterday but I will today. I guess I'll see what happens. I do hope she has that dog on a leash. If she doesnt then I will have to inform her that I will be filing a complaint. As far as being sued for any damages if something should happen, I'm not real sure how that would go due to the fact that this Lady is for one Tresspassing on that particular property,the rez that shes on has a no pit rule and also any dog out in public must be leashed.So I dont know how things would turn out. The owner seemed to be reasonable and was very apologetic when the dogs got into it so I'm hoping she would take it upon herself to either leave that dog at home or have it leashed. My dogs will remain at home till this is all settled though.

more on the pit bulls...last night on the news there was a report that our local animal shelter was broken into. Pit bulls were the breeds that were stolen. The cops did a great job tracking down the suspect since the moron went in earlier and viewed the animals and left his name and address. Now the sad part is they also found the dogs, one was so badly injured it was put down, the other is still hospitalized. The spokesperson from the shelter said, the male that was put down, was an awesome, goofy, lovable dog..he is dead! These dogs were stolen to put in dog fights!! This makes me irate, it goes on too much here, and they are busting up these groups that fight them. BUT, then in the areas where we know the fights are happening we also have pits running the streets, attacking for no reason...these dogs are fought and wounded, turned out or escape! Dog fighting for sport is just SICK!

Well, I went on my hike yesterday evening and sure enough I ran into the pitbull and boxer off the leash again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif The two dogs came charging towards me and of course I was armed, anyway the owner yelled at them and the pit stopped about 50yds away while the boxer just veered off and started sniffing in the trees. It was a good thing I didnt have my dogs.
The owner finally got them both on a leash and approached me on the trail. I told her that I thought it would be a good idea to keep the dogs on the leash at all times due to the fact that it was apparent she did not have much control over the dogs especially if other dogs were present.She tried to tell me it was'nt right for me to be armed, I let her know that I had a license and as long as she continued to have that dog in the area I would remain armed.She got bugged with that so I'm sure thats not the end of that story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

She did have some type of muzzle straps on both of the dogs that didnt allow them to open their mouth fully.She made it a point to point that out. I told her I figured that strap would last only a few seconds when that dog fights another dog and it gets pulled off. It didnt look very strong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I informed her that the area where we are at has many people walking,including elderly people and kids, also there's people with dogs that are off the leash.I told her I was concerned and she should be too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I asked if she just moved here because I had'nt seen her before. She stated she had been in the area for about three years and use to walk another area on a trail which is less used . I kinda suggested it would probably be a good idea to go back to that area before somehthing did occur.

The Lady then begans to tell me that the pit was a dog that was rescued and that the previous 3 owners had problems with it attacking other dogs. She stated that one of the owners trained the dog to fight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Finally, I tell the Lady if she continues to let the dogs off leash I would pursue the matter through local law enforcement and that I would not be responsible for my actions when protecting myself or someone else from her dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif She agreed to keep them leashed, so the saga continues!

Do you think I should go ahead and file a report or just wait and see if she goes back to her own stomping grounds?

I would file a report. That way every thing is all ready on record in case some thing else happens. She all ready admitted that there has been issues in the past with this dog. It is only a matter of time before it happens again.

CB,
I was kinda leaning in that direction too. When she mentioned that dog has problems when other dogs are around or the fact that it was trained to fight at one time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That really bothered me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back