Can you kill a Coyote with your bare hands?

Oh, coyotes are no problem, it's the Bengal tigers and hippos I have trouble with. Ever try to put a choke hold on a hippo? Geez /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
When I was trapping I found canines easy to knock out with a small trapping trowel, and once out just flip them on their side and stomp the heart, with the heart muscle damaged they don't wake up. I was younger then, but don't remember it being all that difficult.

I used to do this when I ran a trap line. I would use a jack handle though. Works great on coyotes but I don't recommend it for bobcats.

I did have to release a big PA bobcat this year from a trap alive and boy was he a hand ful.after the wrestling and I removed my Carhart from him he just sat there looking at us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
But if attacked by a coyote and just one he may get a couple bites but he will not walk away.

What about people that get killed by dogs, or criminals that are brought down by police dogs? Aren't those people fighting for their lives? The Romans used dogs in war and those dogs killed armed men.

I think there is a difference between an animal bred to fight, and an undomesticated animal that would rather run if possible?

Quote:
I think there is a difference between an animal bred to fight, and an undomesticated animal that would rather run if possible?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I agree. I just got sidetracked by the mentioning of dogs. Hmm, as to killing a coyote with bare hands? I think the coyote would empty his bowels and bladder on ya, bite and scratch ya and you'd end up looking like ya got your butt whooped, but I think a strong man could do it if he wanted/had to.

This is why I always carry some piano wire with me. I just sneak up behind him and throw it around his neck and pull it taunt. He gives up and sleeps with the fishes soon enough.

That is why I always carry my 45ACP 1911 Colt Government with me when I go hunting.

It happened that I had to shoot a jackal when it got up just as we got close. Had to put him down as he was running away. You still remember Desertram? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Gerhard

Quote:
What about people that get killed by dogs, or criminals that are brought down by police dogs? Aren't those people fighting for their lives? The Romans used dogs in war and those dogs killed armed men.

Most of the accounts I've read the people were trying to get away from the dog(s), not engage them.

The war dogs were trained to attack cooperatively. No way can an unarmed (or armed with something other than a gun) man stand up to more than one canine in a cooperative attack. A pack of trained dogs will take down a bear.

[image]
bsmeter.gif
[/image]

Well ... Most of the time I have gloves on, but occasionally I don't wear gloves and just shoot with my bare hands ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was carrying a dead coyote once that came back to life, grabbed it up by the hind leggs, spun it around and slammed its head up against a fence post. I don't know if that's what actually killed the coyote or if it was the big ol' hole in its ribs.

Many moons ago. We had just obtained permission from a farmer. To run some [Jacks] in his wide open bean field. As we walked our sighthounds out into the field. We paused at the beginning of the field.

The farmer's [Very]large male Airdale decided to follow us [Dad's little female "Brownie", was in heat] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Anyways, Dad & his bud's are making a plan on how to cover this large field.

Their standing there yacking. I notice the farmer's dog, paying [EXTRA-ATTENTION] to Dad's little female[he loved that dog].

I told Dad. He turned to see what was going down. Anger came over him, instantly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. He slugged that brute up-side the head[naughty boy] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The male's body shuddered, like he was struck by lightening. He slid off [Brownie]& staggered back to the farmsted.

No doubt in my mind, if that dog would've bit Dad. He would've died right there, from [pummelitis] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is no doubt that it could be done.
I have seen some pretty serious dog bites before. When a dog attacks you, it is just a flurry of teeth and bites. They tear and slash at you, and it happens really fast. Thats how people get killed by dogs it happens so fast that they don't know how to react.

I have worked my Jack Russell’s on coon and groundhogs. They were self trained. I sure wasn’t smart enough to train them the way they handled these animals. With 3 Jacks on a coon it was WAY more than the coon could handle.

I stopped to get some straw from a farmer. When he opened the barn door out burst two Blue Healers. I tried not to let them get behind me but before I knew it I was limping around with a bit calf. The guy didn’t even seem to care! I bet he would have if the kick that missed wouldn’t have.

I have never been afraid of a dog. But more than one and you will have your hands full.

Coyotes I know a guy that use to trap. He would walk up to a trapped coyote and grab it behind the neck and put it into a cage. Said they didn’t even put up a fight. I know the grey fox I use to trap tried to eat me up.

Steve

I dont believe for one second that just any one could win this fight. Not saying its impossible, but you would be fighting for your life. I am talking about hand to hand, with a healthy, unwounded, untrapped and fresh Coyote. One that decided, for whatever reason, was gonna stand and fight. You guys that want to compare any domestic dog attack with a Coyote attack are smoking crack. There is no comparison. I have been around police K9's for 16 years. I have worn the bite suit many times. The fury of a well trained Police dog or one with a very strong fight drive and kill drive is a power to behold, but I dont believe for one minute it would compare to the speed and fury a Coyote could attack with. I would much rather take on a domestic dog, even a trained dog, than ever fight a wild animal with a stronger will to live than any other wild animal. I agree that a human can have a strong will to live and most all of us would like to believe we would win this fight, but I think many are mistaken.

On a different note, how many of you read all the posts on that thread that Gerhard posted. I copied this one and will paste it because I laughed so hard I cried:

I once broke up a fight with my and my neighbors mutt his dog was unleashed and in my yard attacking my 9mo old lab pup. I stuck myself in the middle i don't recommend it I got the scars to prove its a bad idea ... on a more humorous note the dog cops had picked this dog up several times for different reasons and once again he was back but this time acting aggressively toward my wife and kid as they walked from the truck to the front door I was in the garage loading some 30-06 for elk season when i retrieved my paint ball gun from the shelf and yelled at him to go home he turned his butt to me and looked back as if to say yea whatever bud .when i placed a paint ball squarely on his O ring .in my life I never saw an animal run that fast he cleared a six foot cedar fence in one leap...

God that is funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then why is it that greyhounds and trail hounds, even alone kill coyotes regularly. A coyote is tough, but I don't believe a 30lb coyote can take a 60lb domestic dog thats been hunted much on Bears, Mt Lions and Hogs. I simply can't beleive it.

Okay, you bare-handed coyote killers.
Let's get readt to rumble......................

Coyote_136-Snarls_Aggresively.jpg

4.gif

Not for the faint of heart. Somebody's gonna bleed.

Michael,
A canid fighting another canid is a different game all together. We are talking a human taking on a Coyote with his bare hands. I would be willing to bet that you would not want to take on one of those Greyhounds or Trailhounds that can kill a Coyote with your bare hands either. The difference I was eluding to between a domestic dog and a wild dog when they attack a human is the animals commitment to the fight. A domestic dog usually attacks out of fear and it is a hit and run type attack. A domestic dog also still has that devotion to humans somewhere in his genetic makeup. A wild dog however is not handicapped by anything like that. When a dog fights another dog, likewise that handicapp goes away. That is why Police and guard dogs are so difficult to fend off or discourage. They are trained to be 100% committed to the attack. That picture that weasel posted should speak volumes. Besides, what about those eastern Coyotes that regularly get over 50 lbs? Might be a big difference between a 25 lb Arizona Coyote and a 60 lb New England Coyote.

I agree with WyoSongDog, that wild animals will to survive is too great! Heck, you figure they run for miles with their intestines hanging out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Imagine taking one on like the one Smith took out just yesterday! Look how big that monster is..... Got me shakin just thinkin about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back