2 FAST Cats!

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I got up early this morning and headed out to place I just got permission to hunt a couple of weeks ago. I have been on the property several times, but never to call or hunt.

I arrived at my first stand about 7:15 and set up on a pipeline about 200 yards from the truck. I set the foxpro out about 30 yards away and let the Rabbit Distress #1 play for about 15 minutes and noting, so I headed back to the truck.

I decided to go about 200 yards down the pipeline from the truck in the opposite direction, and did the same thing. I had carried both my NEF .243 and my Rem 870, but since I could see a long ways down the pipeline, I had the .243.

I set my watch, turned on the caller and waited. I looked to my right down the pipeline back toward the truck, saw nothing and then looked back to my left toward the caller. A bobcat had stepped into the pipeline, and was 15 feet from the caller. I raised the NEF, found the crosshairs, and bang!flop!. I reloaded, looked at my watch, and 1:30 had passed!

I thought there might be another, so I held tight, and let it play. About minute or 2 later I can hear a pack of coyotes crank up in the distance, but they never showed. At the 10 minute mark, I went to collect my prize, a good sized female. The 58 grain Hornady V-max had took her right behind the shoulder and only a small hole in and a small hole out. I headed back to the truck to try and get some more stands in.

The next two stands produced nothing, even though there were plenty of fresh coyote tracks.

At the 5th stand, I walked about 300 yards in from the road along a road between about a 8 year old pine plantation, and one that was about 2 years old. They had dozed a fresh road in, and had been doing a little logging. At the second cleared out spot I set the caller up near a brush pile. The wind was in my in my face, but a little left of my position on the edge of the older plantation. My view was about 75 yards in all directions except behind me since I was on the edge of the plantation, so I layed the NEF in my lap and got set with the 870 and #4 buckshot. I set my watch, hit the foxpro remote to start the Rabbit Distress #1 and looked back to my watch. 11 seconds had passed. Almost instantly, I see a bobcat come from the younger plantation to the right side of the brush pile and start toward the caller. He was about 35-40 yards away when I raised the shotgun and gave him a load of #4 buckshot. He jumped spun and dissappeared into the brush pile. I looked at my watch, and 1:16 had passed! Now that is FAST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Almost at the shot, another pack of coyotes cranks up in the distance. I sat for another 15 minutes hoping for a coyote, but the never showed. I headed over to find the cat, and found that she had only made it about 3 feet into the pile of tops. This one was smaller than the first.

This was the first time I have ever shot anything with buckshot, and I found that one pellet had went right behind the shoulder, and was the killing blow. I counted about 5 or 6 pellets when I skinned it out. I expected more, from the 2 3/4 with a full choke. The box says there are 41 pellets, but I guess the cat is a fairly small target.

I made about 4 more stands without anything showing itself and the wind had already started to get up, so I called it a day.

Not a bad morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

1-27-06Bobcats.jpg

I intended to weigh them, but had them skinned before I thought about it.

1-27-06Twobobcats.jpg

1-27-06Foxprocontest.jpg

And one for the contest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Sean, you keep this up and im really not gunna like you any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Forget about them nasty coyotes. I'd take cats anyday. WTG!

There is another one of those Foxpro caller hats. I can see how you could control the direction of the sound with one of them, but dang, that would be a heavy load by the end of the day.

Nice Day!! Nice job!! Get some more!!

Yellowhammer,
Nice set of cats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, you aint kiddin they came in quick! Wish you many more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Yellowhammer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Way to go those are some fine looken cats I would love to kill to cats in one day. Again way to go on your hunt and most important is keep um comming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

im jealous, im wanting to go on a cat hunt out west so bad its killing me. hopefully this year ill find the time and some hidden money in the back of my wallet to get out there.

Yellowhammer, if I remember right a 2 3/4 inch shell with lead #4 buckshot only has 27 pellets. Maybe thats why you didn't find so many holes in the hide

Quote:
Yellowhammer, if I remember right a 2 3/4 inch shell with lead #4 buckshot only has 27 pellets

You're right, it's 41 in a 3 inch shell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I'm going to pick up box of 3 inch #4 buckshot and some Dead Coyote and see how they do.

Yellowhammer, I think you'll like the dead coyote, When we skinned out my cat we found multiple hits quartering from the front shoulder and resting under the skin in the back leg and two pass throughs in the skull plus a shattered back leg. All total ten pellets hit and he was facing me at 47 paces/ long steps. Not even a twitch, solid bang flop.
Nice kittys by the way!

Back