Coyotes by airplane.

Ed inMN

I have been invited to go shoot coyotes out of an airplane. I think it would be a lot of fun. If anyone has done it how scary is it, and how hard is it to hit them. It sounds easy when you hear of guys shooting 50 coyotes out of plane. But it cant be real easy shooting at a running coyote from a plane going I don't know how fast 90 mph?
Also I have to small kids to raise yet.

If you do go.I hope you don't get airsick.
biggrin.gif
I think it would be a blast.Good luck and have fun and be safe

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

just remember you are going faster than the coyote, don't lead em shoot behind em, better yet go try and call em in and then shoot them

Hey Ed
You will probably be in a PiperCub or Cessna, I would imagine. 40 or 50 mph tops, so you won't be going that fast. However, it seems like you are SCREAMING once you see a coyote. The good part is though, they are running at probably 30 mph, so realistically it will be like you are hitting something moving at 10 mph. Whoa...that was a lot of math for me. Have fun, and remember to hang on! (Oh, and don't shoot the struts or wings or fuselage or prop or windows or wheels.......it could end your trip in a hurry!)

Good luck-
Muss

Uhhh..Airplane...Air...Low altitude...time of correction in case of error...er..no thanks..
smile.gif
Get my kicks on the ground. If I had more juevos, I might consider it, but I'm allergic to pain and considered a wussy girly boy.

Have fun!!

------------------
Yer Pal,
Bob
CoyoteUgly@sbcglobal.net

When I was in Bonesteel SD last month the rancher had to call the ADC officer because
of a pack of coyotes that had been hanging up around his house. Seems there was a dead
cow nearby and the ADC got the plane up and shot one coyote after another until all 6 of them were killed. I asked him about the plane flying over and the coyotes dropping and he said it was like they couldn't connect the dots. Just kept feeding except for that last one, but he came back later and the plane took him out too. This is a regular way to handle them when they get too
plentiful. Snowmobiles take care of some of them too.

Yes, I have done this and there are serious things to remember, especially when the shooting gets hot.

First of all, make sure the pilot knows he flys the plane while you shoot. That sounds simple but every year we hear of a pilot flying into the ground or into highlines because he was concentrating on the coyote instead of flying.

Second, Know your zone of fire! I can't emphize this enough. Many planes have been shot up because the shooter swings into a strut or the wing.

Third, make sure you use a safety strap to hold you. Often you will be halfway hanging out of the open door (which should be removed) so have a strap on (not a jock strap either) ;-)

Fourth, keep the floorboards of the plane clear of spent shotgun casings. They can build up and block the pilots control pedals! I have seen shells build up 3" deep.

and fifth, have a ball!

[This message has been edited by Elkslayer (edited 11-29-2001).]

This sounds like to much fun to pass up, not sure when Im going but we have snow so it shouldnt be long.
Yotecallr I do most of my calling around Bonesteel. Did you call around there, or where you pheasant hunting?

Ed, we hunted Bonesteel and Fairfax. Randy Anderson hooked us up with Dave Tech who has a pheasant farm-hunting preserve. There is so much game in South Dakota, I wanted to cry driving home all the way because I don't know when I'm able to go again. I'd like to go in Dec or Jan but driving from Des Moines could be pretty nasty. He said calling in Dec
is like a dream, they come out from everywhere. Great guy,great land.My son shot his first double driving down a gravel road in the middle of the afternoon. Acted like they never saw a vehicle before or heard a gunshot. Good memories.

Hey fellows, I'm the state ADC Trapper for south central SD. (Gregory, Tripp, Todd and Charles Mix counties) I know Dave Tech very well and work on his ranch every winter.

Gunning from planes.....

Airplanes, Very low altitude, Loaded guns, Multiple targets, Excitment, Distractions......INHERENTLY DANGEROUS!

Elkslayer gave ya some good advice! Safety, Safety Safety.

Rule #1 NEVER, NEVER close the action on a shell while the muzzle is inside the plane! and ALWAYS open the action before bringing the gun back in the window after a pass.

Remember you will be moving the muzzle around right behind your pilots head! I promise...you will hit the ground but a split second after he does!!

Since you are going to be hunting in South Dakota, I'm assuming you will be gunning for a pilot who is flying under contract with our department (if not, he is illegal and in violation of the Airborn Hunting Act) as such he is required to have a specific minimum horse power. More than likely you will be in a supercub or something similar so you won't be lacking power or speed.

Rule #2 NEVER, NEVER close the action on a shell while the muzzle is inside the plane!and ALWAYS open the action before bringing the gun back in the window after a pass.

As for where to shoot, thats tuff! It all depends on the pass you get. a Super Cub only requires about 40 mph to stay in the air, so the ideal pass is to catch one running straight into a head wind so the pilot can cut power and just float right in on em...at times moving only slightly faster than the coyote is. Most pilots will be working the pedals to "cock" the plane to the right (asuming your shooting out the left window) to get the prop out of the way as much as possible. This also helps to "haze" the coyote so he doesn't cut under the plane. To compensate for this you will need to shoot slightly to the left of the yote. So the ideal pass has you coming up on the yote at a slow speed and just as you are geting out the window the pilot will be "sliding" to the right. As a place to start, on this type of pass, try shooting at the left, rear hip. Its different for each gunner depending on shootong style, follow thru etc.. and every different type of pass will require adjustments.

It just requires lots of hours in the back seat and lots of coyotes to get a feel for it, till you make the adjustments on instinct just like you do when wingshooting on the ground.

For fun, when ya start to think your good, ya might try getting one thats running flat out, almost to make a corn field in August with a strong tail wind and 120 mph! Knowing you're only going to get one pass.

Don't spare the shells. The cost of ammo is the cheapest part of the operation. Even if ya KNOW ya hit him on the first shot....hit him again ....and again! Coyotes dont die! Ya have to kill em!

In winter, on snow you will have multiples and family groups. keep the muzzle out the window and reload fast!

Rule #3 NEVER, NEVER close the action on a shell while the muzzle is inside the plane!and ALWAYS open the action before bringing the gun back in the window after a pass.

Wear warm clothing. You won't be able to move around much to stay warm, especially your feet. wear the warmest boots you have.

Wear some form of eye gear such as shooting glasses. A strap to keep em on don't hurt either. If its very cold out you can't belive how cold that wind is when ya hang your head out the window! Even if its nice out the wind will blow the burnt powder back in your face and eyes.

Befor you even leave the hanger, crawl in the back seat and get familair with the plane. How to open the window, handle the gun, unhook your harness etc.. Practice leaning out with the gun and see how limited you swing is by the prop and strut.

Our state pilots have a piece of bright colored tape on the strut and also on one blade of the prop. Makes it much easier to see in flight.

Don't assume the pilot sees those power lines over there, or that radio tower, or that other small plane! If he is offended by your concern and pointin out things, you don't want to be flying with him no how!

Have a great time. Its a blast! Don't let any get away... the one that are educated are the ones we have to get running flat out towards a corn field in August! lol

If I can be of any other help just hollar!

Did I mention Rule #4?

Hi ChrisM:

My computer was down for awhile-see you know Dave Tech too, be sure and say hi to him for
us. We wanted to meet you and ask you 20 questions, but didn't have the time. Can you send me your email for some questions? Thanks. Barry at barrysyotes@home.com

USE AN M60!!! USE AN M60!!! YEAH STRAFE THE HELL OUT OF THEM!!!!! I WANT TO GOOOOOO!!!!! TAKE ME, TAKE ME, TAKEMETAKEME!!!!YOU CAN USE THE 60, I'LL USE THE .50BMG, YEAH THAT'S IT. TAKE ME PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!

Very interesting exchange of information. Would be interesting to watch but I think I'll keep both feet on the ground.

Sounds like SD is alittle over crowded with yotes!!!!!!!

Besides isnt that a little dangerous for this time of year knowing there is terrorist problem if you was to shoot coyote's here in Arkansas from a plane today you might get shot out of the air,thinking we are getting attacked...lol

Back