Oklahoma Public Hunting

Okie Hunter

Any of you guys hunt any of the Oklahoma Wildlife Management Areas? If so which one is best for turkey this spring and maybe coyotes anytime I have time.

I have hunted several of the wma's here in Oklahoma. For turkey I would say honobia creek. It's a large tract of land in southeastern part of the state with lots of turkeys.
For coyotes just about any of the wma's out west hold large amounts of coyotes and bobcats. PM me if you need more info and I'll be happy to let you know more details.
okhunter

black kettle for coyotes-- and the private land owners in the area love us... turkeys, id say lexington or black kettle again. lexington early in the year and blk kettle during the week around thursday or friday after the weekend traffic died down. if youre in blanchard - not far from purcell, look me up bda365@peoplepc.com im sure i can help ya with a bird ifin you wanna do some trading!

The western part of the state seems to be better right now because lack of hunting on it. The Eastern part of the state gets hammered during deer season. WMA's in oklahoma can be very successful for all types of animals. Our DoW does a great job in managing these areas.

Here in the eastern part of the state we have numerous wma's, and like Mr. Holly said they do get hammered pretty good through the first nine days of deer firearms season. But other than that time a year you can pretty much have alot of land to yourself. Game of all species is available you just have to hunt a little and that is what it is all about, especially if you are willing to walk a little bit. Alot people won't go much further than they can drive, and that is fine by me!!!

God Bless
Shmee

Quote:
black kettle for coyotes-- and the private land owners in the area love us....

I am getting the weekend of Feb. 25 & 26 off due to the wife going to Missouri to do a cousin's wedding and I was thinking about doing a little road trip from Tulsa to check out Black Kettle and Packsaddle WMA areas and see if my new FX3 will call Western OK coyotes.
Is there a possibility that somebody might be able to narrow things down a bit?
I went online and the Black Kettle WMA is a bunch of sections (approx 112) spread out over a really large area. Even in a couple of days I couldn't come close to checking them all out.
The Packsaddle WMA is a pretty good sized chunk just North of Black Kettle that looks to have some potential on the topo maps.

Packsaddle is full of scrub oaks about waist high. I go there to hunt dove every spetember. Might be hard to see them come in but if you can get up above the brush...well, thats always a good idea. There are'nt too many trees big enough to climb and those that are are really sticky...ouch. The rest of Black Kettle is pretty confusing with out a good map showing all the county roads and public hunting spots. I think all that is on-line but in Cheyene( hope I spelled that right) the local stores sell a good map of the areas. Good luck to ya.

Hmmm...not sure if that is what I am looking for. I was hoping to be able to find slightly elevated knobs where I could overlook a down wind area and hopefully get a few longer range shots. We have plenty of scrub oaks around Tulsa.

If you want a more detailed map you can get one west of Cheyenne at the rangers station for $6.00. There are some good canyons with good visibility west of town off of hwy 47.The rangers also have some good aerial maps you can look at.
I would skip packsaddle and check out Sandy Sanders about 40 minutes southwest of Cheyenne.There are alot more coyotes there than Packsaddle. If you need anything more specific pm me and I can help you out. okhunter

I can't make heads or tails of public land here around NE Oklahoma. The best thing we have come up with is to stop a local cattle rancher and ask who around wants some coyotes gone...just about everyone has told us to come on in.

As me and my brother are very new to this, if anyone around Oklahoma (East or otherwise) wouldn't mind some company we would be more than excited to tag along and try to learn something.

Oops-- I am from Claremore. Anyone wantin to go, just let me know...after next week...I am gettin my new rifle then went with a Savage 12FV .223

I live by Kaw lake WMA (East of Ponca city Oklahoma) and I’ve hunted Deer, Turkey and coyotes quite a bit. I’ve done well with all three species. I’ve also seen quite a few Bobcats. If you have a boat you can do better by accessing some of the more remote areas. I can’t tell you how it ranks with some of the other Oklahoma WMAs, I haven’t hunted much else.

Back