CZ527 Varmint vs. Tikka T3 Varmint?

pyledriver

This may have already been posted, but here goes anyway.

I'm considering both the Tikka T3 Varmint rifle and the CZ527 Varmint as a next purchase either in .223 or .22-250. So far I've fondled..er, uh, HANDLED the CZ in varmint profile, but only seen the Tikka in the larger calibers-basically non-varmint profile.

My questions are, does anybody know which one is consistently more accurate, what handling characteristics would make one a better choice than the other, and how do the triggers stack up against each other?

I still have empty pockets, so there's time for me to compare opinions and facts!

I have a couple of each, and I personally feel the Tikka is the better purchase.

You might pay a little more, but you get a lot of rifle with a Tikka.

Just my opinon. - BCB

If your lookin for .204 ruger...CZ is your choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Anything else then get the tikka. I sold a tikka .243 nice gun, just wanted to play with .204 ruger instead, bought a single shot handi to see what it was like, shot it once and bought a CZ immediately(yes, i like the .204 alot already). I'm a detachable mag kinda guy...i only wished Tikka offered in the .204...i would have bought that instead of the CZ, still haven't shot the CZ yet as its new(maybe this weekend) but i just like the slickness/fit and finish of them better than the CZ's. I'm sure they both will shoot really good though. My vote would go towards the Tikka.

B

I have no experiance with the tikka but here is my experiance with the CZ Laminate varmint I had:
1. Felt great in the shop, didn't like the way it handled in the field
2. Didn't like the set trigger, the over tavel drove me nuts.
3. Wasn't exceptionally accurate but to be fair I didn't do alot of load work with it.
4. Hated the magazine
5. Bolt was rough
Overall, just wasn't impressed. That being said, I really like my CZ 452 and its exceptionally accurate and I wouldn't mind trying 550 american someday, although I am buying a Tikka long before I buy another CZ centerfire.
Matt

I have a cz 527 varminter with a laminate stock in 223. I couldnt be happier with it, although the bolt is a little rough. The trigger for me was awesome straight from the factory. With winchester white box i get 5 shot 1'' groups at 100. I love it.

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to find a Tikka to lay hands on and see how I like it! I checked out gunbroker and the Tikka website-looks like there are some nice options as well!

The CZ just has so much more class!!! I have been having so much fun shooting my 527's for the last year or so the other rifles haven't made it out much, today I took out my remmy 270 and my ruger 22-250, It became real clear why I like the 527's so much, both of mine have been slicked up with a little bore compound, the clip lips have been mausshed, one finger is all it takes to operate the bolt, both my guns feed and function so smooth it aint even funny, The set trigger breaks like a glass rod about about 8oz. my kevlar varmint pounds out mid .5 5 shot average groups with white box and blackhills 50 grn vmax, the carbine shoots the same stuff into slightly over .75moa for 5 shots agged out. both rifles are light quick handy and extremly accurate.

I have been thinking I need a heavy barrel 308 lately so I was really thinking of a tikka varmint, because of all the good comments. checked one out YUCKA!!!! the stock has glued on parts to the regular lite stock, the wider forearm is simply a glue on piece, there is another piece that is glued onto the comb, plus the T3 only comes in a long action, the stock was so yuckey I just couldn't consider the rifle any more.

I don't know why the above poster complained about the trigger, these are easily adjustable,the instructions are on the website, It is the finest trigger on any rifle!!! As to rough feeding, yes some are kinda rough at first, that because the tolerances the action is cut to is very tight. just work the action with JB bore paste and after a couple hundred rounds you will have an action smoother than guns costing thousands

Go out and get yourself a CZ kevlar varmint, It will come with an HS stock which is light years ahead of the tikka POS stock. I think both guns are priced about the same.

go Tikka I just bought one (t3 varmint) w/ a vx-3 scope. 1-8twist rate shoots 55grn bullets well. Shot it for the first time today. 5 shots 3/4" or if you dont count the flyer it was 4 shots 1/2" i am in love with this baby!!! Winchester should HAVE taken notes!

I'm curious about the bore compound on the bolt? I think I know what you're talking about, but have never seen that done... I have a Ruger that could sure benefit from that! And what did you do to the magazine lips?

rugers bolts are normally pretty loose, just open one all the way and see how much play there is. I just wrap a shell with some fine sand paper, then grasp both ends insert in the mag, now just move back and forth in seconds your mag lips will be very smooth in exactly the right places. I also store my mags full so the spring tension is relaxed a bit, all this together makes for a buttered 527, on my carbine I had to slightly file the extractor just on the end where it first makes contact with the shell, but I am anal with my guns

steve garret,
As the poster above, I stated (don't concider it complaining) I didn't like the trigger because I didn't like the set function. When the trigger is pushed forward to set and then fired the result is extreme over travel. I personally do not like over travel. In addition, when the trigger was placed in the set position, about 1 of five times you would get a fail to fire. Some people like the the set trigger, I personally don't care for it.

I am sure the bolt can be smoothed up but in my case what would be the point. I shot it exclusively for 3 days on P Dog dogs and was not pleased with the way it handled for me in the field. Didn't really see the point in messing with it any more after that.

I never said it was a bad rifle, only that it wasn't for me.
Matt

I will admit CZ's prolly arn't for everyone, some get hung up on the backward saftey, I haven't had a problem with over travel on either of my CZ's but then again I have tweaked the triggers to my taste, The regular trigger was pretty creepy at first, cleaned it up with a couple turns on the takeup screw. I have heard some don't like the set trigger function for whatever reason, if this is the case, the regular trigger can be cleaned up very nicely to the point of not even using the set mode. I only use the set mode at the range, the regular trigger works great hunting and breaks about 3-3.5#'s

I just got a new american 204 and when i was setting up the trigger i played with the set adjustment screw and the set trigger wouldn't fire if i went too far, had to back it pretty much to the place i started then it fired everytime...i shot it yesterday, a review post is coming asap. And like Steve said...the regular trigger came with creep but a couple turns tops cleaned that up and i agree with it being about 3-3.5lbs when done...mine seems the same. Great trigger for hunting imo....i loved the set trigger for the range. Not many guns with two triggers like that...but it is a bit agricultural...i may need to follow up on Steve's tips there to slick it up a bit.

Blake

Back