Sako 75 Varmint SS or Kimber 84M Pro Varmint in .204 Ruger

Husker98

I am in a tough spot. I paid for a Sako 75 Varmint SS Laminate in .204 Ruger, so I'd be sure to get the stock ordered rifle when it got to the store. I was told it would be around Halloween, then November, then December, now mid February. I have little faith that they will actually make this deadline since they haven't made one yet. I'm thinking that I could just buy the Kimber and save roughly $600-$650 and get it today. First off I was going to get the Cooper, but my cousin's Cooper's bolt flops open every time we head into the field and the single shot thing bothers me a little too much. I've decided that I want a magazine. At the time the money wasn't an issue.....I was able to justify the purchase because of bonus I rec'd. Now I wouldn't mind putting that money toward a scope, but I don't really need one. My question is: What kind of accuracy difference would I see between the Sako and the Kimber? Are there Sako and Kimber owners out there that can give me some advice?

I should mention that I really like the set trigger in the Sako. I'm wondering if the Kimber's trigger would be plenty good enough and the rifle be accurate enough to not envy the Sako all the while being proud of myself for saving money.

To heck with both of them, get this little CZ American in .204. It's got a set trigger, it's light and handy for calling, and mine (a .223) is very accurate. Once you get past the bass-ackwards safety and the protruding magazine, you'll come to love it.

If Kimber is your only other real option, I'd get it and call it good. Kimber makes good stuff, and when they fumble, I understand they back up their product and make it right.

DesertRam,
Thanks for the advice.
You make a good point about Kimber backing stuff up. I'm wondering how long it would take for Sako to fix a problem being over seas and all. So far their timeliness hasn't been too great. Kimber's in Montana, I think. That would make life easier from that standpoint.

I'll look into the CZ. How much are they?

Husker98,
I have the Kimber ProVarmint 84M in .204 and love it so far.
I have not had it very long and have not had the time to work up loads for it yet. However, it shoots 3/4" groups with the Hornady factory 40 grainers and I am confident much better once I start loading Bergers for it. I had my gunsmith take the trigger to 2 lbs. it is as crisp and clean as any trigger I have ever had worked. My gunsmith was also very impressed with the quality of the trigger and the rifle overall.
Kimber is in NY and I called there 800 number once to inquire about taking the bolt apart and they were very helpful and friendly. Good customer service.
Hope this helps,

Zephyr20

While CZ makes a great rifle it's not in the same class as the Sako or Kimber in my opinion. They may all shoot the same which is what counts but the Sako and Kimber feel better in my hands.

Funny thing is I looked at a light weight Kimber and the Heavy varmint Sako in 22-250 yesterday, while the price of the Sako was twice that of the Kimber and I don't like heavy rifles I couldn't choose between them. If I wanted a heavy rifle it would be the Sako hands down. Just my opinion.

Kimber is in Yonkers, NY. It's funny I saw this post because I'm on my way to put a pro-varmint on lay-away in 22-250. Check out the new RifleShooter, great article on the Pro Varmint!

Thanks for all the input guys. I like hearing that the Kimber shoots the 40gr V-max grain bullet that well. I wanted to shoot that bullet, but most people said their gun shot the 32gr V-max better. I was afraid that would be the case with the rifle I bought. I'll also check out the Rifleshooter magazine.

I think the problem is that I want them both. Too bad that is financially impossible.

I bought a Sako SS Varmint laminated in .222 towards the end of last summer and I LIKE IT!! Bought one in 6PPC a few years back when they first came out and I still have it. I wouldn't sell either one.

Wanted one in 7/08, was supposed to come in by the end of last October but never showed up. I haven't heard from the dealer so I would imagine it still hasn't come in.

Dogpopper,
I looked for the article in Petersen's RifleShooter (Jan/Feb '06 issue) and I didn't see an article on the Pro Varmint. Was it Dec's issue? If so, I don't have that one.

Ole,
What kind of groups do your rifles shoot? You are using handloads??...I assume.

I have a Kimber varmint in 22-250 and also a Sako varmint in 6PPC. They both are as accurate as it gets with factory rifles. Both have fully adjustable triggers. I like the Kimber a little better because of the balance and weight. I have a friend who is a part time gun smith in St. Mary's Kansas who has adjusted the triggers for a few folks on new Kimber Pro Varmint 204's. He says every one of them are tack drivers.

ditto on the CZ you could get a kevlar varmint, have a heavy barrel and still be around 7.5#'s mine shoots .5 aggregate 5 shot groups with 2 different factory ammos. the CZ is not as nice a rifle as the kimber, but hey it should shoot and it will still have more class than alot of other rifles out there, Sako is overpriced IMO across the board, plus you will still have lots of money left over

Hey Husker98 that article is in the March/April issue. I just got it yesterday so it should be any day if its not already out up there. I ordered mine this afternoon! Can't wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Between the Kimber and the Sako, don't even have to think about that one. The Sako and never look back. I have the new Varminter in .223 with a 1 in 8 twist and the set trigger is the best I have ever seen! The Kimbers I have worked with have been a little rough. Sako's are smooth. I would give the Tikka's a hard look and their is nothing wrong with a CZ. Just not in the same class as the Sako but would prefer it over a Kimber.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to pick up that magazine for the article. I'm still undecided as of now. Does anyone know what the twist rate is in the Sako? They don't have it listed on their website.

I have a Kimber 22-250 and 2 sakos, i wouldnt trade my kimber for a sako. it shoots very good and feels very good. sakos are great guns also.
Clint

Back