Coyote Sounds for Late January??

gity

I have been hunting every day and have only called in one gray fox in last week....Useing distress only with mouth calls. Do you give up on distress this time of year and just use howling/vocalizations?? I live in southeast Nebraska and it has been very warm for January....I only have A few more days off from work [short layoff] and I need to see some coyotes!!

Try some yote sounds with your prey sounds. try your prey sound first , then your yote sounds.Or just go off your gut like i do and howl sometimes first. And always end your stand with puppie KY YI"s Or yote KY YI "S. Im now a firm believer in this. It will raise your precentage considerably. It makes em come out and look around.
Goodhuntin,steve.

I've also have not been getting any bites on distress. I went out on Sunday. On the last stand my partner and I both began howling together, I thenfollowed with invitation howls. Almost immediately got a challenge from down the draw. I responded with a challenge back. This went back and forth for a while, then I swithced back to invitation howls. Not long after a triple was heading hard up the draw and shot one, missed one other and the third one is still running.

I switched tactics a few weeks ago and have been using exclusively howls and yelps. I know you aren't supposed to howl nearly continuosly for 15 minutes, but apparently the coyotes don't know that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
When I switched I had coyotes on 16 stands in a row before we had a dry one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

On the primos mastering the art they talk about the female invatation howl and how it can be done in repetition. and the impression is repeated many times. so I wonder if that is what redfrog is doing?

Gity, I agree with these guys. Howling sure seems to help. We howled in one Saturday in N. Central Nebraska. We didn't even blow the distress call. We saw a lot of scat and tracks, so we knew there were a lot of dogs. I've hunted around Humbolt, NE many times for coyotes and haven't had one come in yet. We did bump one and killed it, but that was it. An old guy down there told me they had a mange problem and there weren't many coyotes around any more. He was a coyote hunter too, so he might have been less than honest. While I was down there I was staying away from howling, since I know it's about the best area in the state for bobcats. Next time I hunt down there I'll definately howl first. Good luck

Quote:
He was a coyote hunter too, so he might have been less than honest.

Yup, we can shor be a shady bunch when we need to be!! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back