artificial bait without barrels/pails

270yotekiller

I am wondering if anyone has baited a bear without setting up barrels/pails. I know the bears will deplete the bait if its in the open but i dont have the resources to haul barrels or pails 6KM back in the bush on backpack so just looking for some info, will it work?

thanks

You can pile logs/rocks etc. on bait to keep smaller critters(coyotes/coons) from depleting it.Bear will get through the logs no problem.

Take a shovel, a axe and a bow saw. Dig a hole maybe 1.5 feet deep. Then cut logs long enough to cover the hole left to right. Fill the hole with your bait and put the logs over it. Spread the dirt from the hole around this log pile and smooth it all out. Now when you go back in to put more bait out you can look at this dirt you spread out and see what size bear tracks you have.

When I was baiting (when it was legal in Washingtion State)
we used to get used vegetable oil that french frys and shrimp had been deep-fried in and use that. We'd dump it all around what ever else we were baiting with (usually day old Twinkies and Ding Dongs ). The bear that found our baits first walked into this grease and carried this scent in what we called a "good news trail". Any other bear crossing this trail could home in on our bait easily.

A lot of the fast food places welcomed us since they didn't have to worry about finding a place to get rid of the grease. It was as they say today, a "win-win" situation.

It seemed to work really well. The more grease-scent you can put on the ground where they'll walk into it the better. I'd still use something as bait. We used to hang a "ripe" fish high where the wind could carry it long range and use either Twinkies and Ding Dongs or regular bread with blue-berry sause or molasses poured over it. The bear really love it. I've even used raisin bread with molasses poured over it. We diluted the molasses 50/50 with water to stretch it.

My hunting pardner's wife used to work at at Wonder Bread day old bakery. When they had to pull the sweets and discard them, we'd be there to take them to the "dump". We always spent the time to remove and properly discard the wrappers. The bear probably didn't care but it gave the antis a little less ammo.

I wish we could still bait here in Washington. It was such great fun. I can remember a lot of nights that I only got 2 hours of sleep because we'd go bait several baits after work and get home in the wee hours of the morning and then get up and go to work. It was rough but great fun!

Good Luck,

Bow Hunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Be carefull what you wish for. Baiting bear can be a time and money HAWG. I baited (when it was still legal) and had to "feed the bears" every other day. I did like mentioned above and dug a small hole. I was hunting out of a tree stand with a bow so shot placement is crutial. I piled up logs to where it wasnt easy at all for a bear to access the bait except where offering an ideal shot. I would pile smaller stuff over the bait to keep smaller animals from pakcing it off. I used alot of fryer grease, and the cheapest dog food I could find. The mixture of the two makes bear scat look alot like cowpies. The hardest part was getting the bait "started". You NEED good stink bait. Find some old meat, out of your freezer, from the past date rack, etc. DONT USE POLTRY. Bears wont eat spoiled poltry. Put it in a good rubber sealed bucket and leave in the sun for a few weeks before you plan on setting up your biat. I wouldnt start a bait but a few weeks before the season starts, to expensive and time consuming. Set that "stink bait" out on top of some filler material (dog food, old bread doughnuts, whatever.) The smell from the stink will bring them in, and dogfood will keep them coming back. Once they see there is a positive food source there everytime they make there "rounds" they will put this bait station in there feeding cycle. Otherwize I like to either use propane bottles and just barely crack them open, the rotten egg smell brings them in too.

Ok done rambling on now. Good luck, you can do it, but its alot of work. Well worth it though in my opinion.

Great information guys! I have to drive about 3 1/2 hrs to get to my proposed bear hunting site and resources/time will be my main barriers but i will be better informed.

Thanks!

Like NiteFright said, Get ahold of several gallons of used cooking grease and find yourself a good bait location and pour the grease over a rotting stump. You are going to need something to hold the bears in the area and make them return to the bait. The grease filled stump will help keep them coming back. When you set up your bait start a small fire and pour some grease over the hot coals. The woods will smell like a fast-food joint in no time and that will draw bears for miles around. You can do the same thing with honey, burn a little and the smell will permeate the area. Bears make their living using their nose, so get the scent out there and they will find the source.

Cattle grade molasses poured over a rotting stump also works well. Check feed stores for molasses. I know an outfitter who uses nothing but molasses for setting up baits way in the backcountry where everything has to be packed in on mules.

Good luck

We have a great many apple orchards around here (Yakima, Wa.) and it seems our bears are most interested in sweets and fruits than meats and greases during fall hunting times.

An old friend who's a bear hunter told me that he liked to hang a sack (say burlap etc.) over his bait with drippy stuff over his bait station. Then no matter whether the station had "ran out of gas" or not there was something that the bear could "at least dream about".

He would hang this sack high and out of reach save for the birds that landed on it and pecked holes and let just a bit more goodies out ...... adding to the ambience ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had never thought about propane bottles. Man, that gives folks camping out one more thing to sanitize in grizzly country! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back