Grizzly Man is dead, should we weep?

There was one thing about him that could be considered prophetic. Throughout the documentary he repeats over and over, "I'll die for these bears". At least he got that one right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

nasa, i don't believe that being on anti-depressants is a reason to belittle the guy. "real" mental illness is not something to be made light of. you are in tom cruise space people territory.
you could tell when he was ranting or crying one second and then "just fine" the next, that he needed those pills. i think a lot of the crying was just an act. i also don't know where you got the "homo encounters" idea. he said it'd be easier for him if he were gay. not having to deal with the emotional side of women. after watching the show i got the sense that he was lost and looking to be somebody and this was his way. a stupid way no doubt! we derive our pleasure from whacking these animals and he got his by "protecting" them. as if they needed protecting. he was an idiot, but he did have passion. ill-placed in our hunters eye, but if he had that same passion for killing bears we'd all be praising him. he went to school's to brainwash a bunch of kids into loving the cuddly bears, but in the end those kids found out the truth! there's no love lost between myself and anti-hunters but sometimes a little objectivity would suffice.
i wanted to hear them being eaten though. he knew his days were numbered. #141 is the one that got him. the scenes with the fox were cool. amazing how tame they were. i'm sure they thought about eating him a time or two as well. if only i could get one of those pelts to come in so easy. just my opinion. no barbs. just thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
nasa, i don't believe that being on anti-depressants is a reason to belittle the guy.

Neither do I. What's your point. Are you saying that I did?
(edit) I recounted 13 facts about the guy and you picked out the one concerning anti-depressants to get fluffed over. Sounds personal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
i think a lot of the crying was just an act.

We agree again. I did mention he was a failed actor, right?

Quote:
i also don't know where you got the "homo encounters" idea.

Although the documentary did depict him as a squeaky voiced effeminate, a web search will show he frequented gay bars in Santa Monica and Hollywood. I would venture that he was AC/DC, and the women in his life were little more than stage props.

Quote:
he was an idiot

I’m still with ya, buddy!

Quote:
i wanted to hear them being eaten

You’ve got to pay for it, but here you go! http://www.caspuh.com/rd/wildlife/timothy-treadwell.html

Quote:
no barbs. just thoughts

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
when you list anti-depressants and paranoia among a bunch of other things like conman, homosexual encounters and the like it comes off as belittling him for it. it is a little personal. i am on anti-depressants for panic disorder. you just lumped it in there like it was a bad thing he was seeking treatment.

Not to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
These are just facts.
And not necessarily a bad thing. Just some insight to what may have been one of the contributing factors to his bizarre lifestyle. He had quit taking his meds many years before, so he was running around without all his wires hooked up.

Last edited:
point taken. you're right he was really nuts, and i'm a little nuts but i ain't messin with any grizzlies without some firepower.

LOL, you don't sound so "nutz" to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

He actually was diagnosed with a mental disorder, but said he didn't want the drugs. He "needed" to be high and low to be normal. He just couldn't be the same all of the time.

Also, his friends said he dabbled in homosexuality.

because unlike bearbait i take my medication! he said he needed the highs and lows so it seems to me he was manic depressive. totally different ballgame from what i have. how can you dabble? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif that's funny. to me you're in or out no dabbling allowed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
to me you're in or out no dabbling allowed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LMAO! I think "dabbling" is the in-N-out part. JHolly, could you check with Les and let us know for sure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey, Les is an in and out knda guy, but I am one of those guys that likes to say in something till the job is over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

More insight....I found this from a story "Blood Brothers" in Outside magazine,(tree hugger)....We couldn't help but like this guy who punched out as he'd wanted to, who'd told people he would be honored to "end up in bear scat," though we agreed that he'd camped in terrible places and gotten way too close to bears....So you could say, he ended honored, huh ?

I watched the whole program and just wanted to say that you guys are not being sensative to the issue..... psych!!! I thought it was hillarious when the red fox stole his cap, and he wanted to kill it. But in all seriousness, DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT BEAR, what type of nutcase thinks that he is " the only defender and kind warrior that these gentle creatures have"

in the other thread on this topic someone wrote that he had never stayed that late in the year and the bears that he spent his time protecting were somewhat tame and used to humans. as shown by the idiots on the boat chuckin' rocks at them. they were used to the "traffic". while this may be true they are still bears.
people in yellowstone don't go out of their way to pal around with the bears. i was watching travel channel last weekend a show about yellow stone and they said that more people were injured by bison than bears. probably because the people know not to pet the bears. THEY HAVE BIG TEETH!
maybe he watched too much GRIZZLY ADAMS when he was young and thought "big ben never ate grizzly adams so, what the heck."
the bear that ate him ,they said, was probably from the interior regions and they weren't used to humans. so all this guy and his girl were to this bear was an easy meal.

Dabbling....sounds to me like being a "Little Bit" pregnant.....sorry boys....in Arkansas, that dog won't hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dabbling....LOL!! Hahahahha.....the "friends" you spoke of may have "dabbled" too...that may be a new PC term for 'em....dabblers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hhahahaha....dabblers....

Joe

arky! i chuckled a bit at what j holly wrote. i woke the wife and kids with laughter reading your post! i believe "dabbling" is illegal in my state. if not, it should be. no dabbling in anything. it's full throttle or idle. no middle ground on that one.

If you guys think Holly is funny in his posts, you should meet him in person. He's a total crack-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i'd like to meet a lot of the guys on here in person some day. all of you are a great bunch of guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif all with a good sense of humor and down to earth. most with the good sense of where to draw the line when it comes to common sense and decency. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I saw the show on him and although sad what happend to him and his girlfriend not at all unexpected.You can not think for one moment that you can safely live with wild grizz without protection....The man was lost in my opinion.How long can you dangle a worm in front of a fish before it eats it.......Think d.f.is all I have to say...

Smithers, that is precisely the focus of the annual Globe Hunt and now the LBL Hunt. A chance to meet the guys we shuck 'n jive with in the Forums here.

White Eagle, d.f. certainly sums it up, doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back