Grizzly Man is dead, should we weep?

ADK

I watched a rental movie yesterday about Timothy Treadwell; real name Timothy Dexter.You may have heard of him as the Grizzly Man who spent 13 summers living with the grizzlies in a remote part of Alaska.At the end of the 13th summer (2001)the bears ate him and his girl friend.I recommend the movie because I believe it provides important insight into the mind of an animal rights fanatic.There are many more like Treadwell who have lost touch with reality and risk losing everything. It is possible that part of the proceeds from this movie go to the organization Earth People; an organization co-founded by Treadwell.I could not find anything to confirm or deny that possibility.Still,I think the movie has value to us as hunters.After all "Know your enemy".

my wife read me a story on that tree hugen hippy, if you are going to be dum enough to hang out with grizzly then youed better be ready to be lunch after all they are WILD animals.

I find the whole mess disgusting!!!

Here is a fool (Treadwell) who thought he was god's gift to bears.

He takes his girlfriend into that situation. From what I understand, she had her share of reservations, now did he back off? Oh hell NO!!! "Sit a little closer to MR. BEAR, SWEETIE"!!!

Now, with the bears killing him he changes his mind. Wants help, tries to enlist her to do something. She starts sobbing and wailing and guess what .......

The bears now think she's the main cuizine.

Now, what really torques me off is that others in the "hugger community" are going to schools and preaching the virtues of Treadwell!!!!

Initiate Gag Reflex!!!!

Three 44s

Don't know if it "was" the same young guy[hippy-nature boy], I've seen on TV or not. Pushing his luck, with Grizzley's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

Anyway, I thought then. He won't be around to long. No more "Grizz-Whisperer", eh.

There was a similar show on the Discovery Channel today, only he lived with Wolves in Idaho, he would sit with them and they would lick his face, He brought his Girl friend into the picture and they accepted her as well, Seemed very fishy to me. it was not fishy it was ludicris

Alaskan author Nick Jans wrote the book "The Grizzly Maze" which explains the entire Treadwell fiasco. It's a good read and explains a great deal about bear behavior (both black bear and grizzly/brown). My connections in Alaska all agree that Treadwell was at fault. Too bad he allowed his girlfriend to be killed as well.

Treadwell's girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, was a bunny hugger from right here in Boulder, CO. Everyone in Boulder talked about the "tragedy" of the "accident". I didn't read once in the local papers anything about the "stupidity" of this "fiasco".

Around 15yrs ago. The wife, myself & our 85lb Belgian Malinois/German Shepherd X, name of[Summit]. Were nightime catfishing along the Iowa. We had a Coleman Lantern for light. It cast light in a 30 diameter, around us.

Our dog, was on a 16' chain, anchored to a tree, off the trail by us. Were fishing...Suddenly, Summit goes on alert. Then he lunges up onto his hind legs. Chomping the air, visiously. I whip out my Fillet knife, as well.

Then out of the darkness, came the local town freak. Known as the "elf-man". This nut-job, actually thinks he can "talk" to the animals....[one with nature] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...yah, OK.

I confronted him, told him to go away. He insisted! on standing a ft away from our dog's snapping jaws[summit, wanted to eat, this idiot]. He told us, "It's a FREE Country", & that he can "Communicate" with Summit.

He wouldn't listen. I said, "Fine, if he slips his collar, your on your own. I won't pull him off!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

He finally turned back into the darkness, towards town.

I was in Alaska on a Brown Bear hunt when that happened. The people of Alaska didn't have much sympathy for them either. I just can't understand that much stupidity. I know there was a recording of their deaths cause they played it over and over in Anchorage, but does anybody know if there is a video recording of the incident? kyray

Quote:
There was a similar show on the Discovery Channel today, only he lived with Wolves in Idaho, he would sit with them and they would lick his face, He brought his Girl friend into the picture and they accepted her as well, Seemed very fishy to me. it was not fishy it was ludicris

The only fishy part was they were hand raised wolves living in an enclosure. The whole idea of that show was the human interaction as if it were some kind of wolf guru who was befriended by wolves. He tried to make some sort of wolf pack out of those pups. There was minimal reality in the entire thing.

I actually feel bad for the grizzly guy. They have great medications now that could have taken his delusions away. He didn't have be grizzly poop.

Randy

If Summit would've broke free. He would've been fighting his own little 85lb Grizz, for sure. This nut-elf, stood right there in our little camp et cursed me.
As well as, informed me of his Constitutional Rights!

I was fit to [elfitize] him myself. Wife calmed me down, or I woulda dropped him.

Another time, I was fishing at the local dam. "Elf/animal whisperer", decides he wanted to dive/swim, right by where my lines went into the water,GRRRRrr. I said, "Find somewhere else to swim", you have the whole river".

He said, "It's a FREE COUNTRY" I'll SWIM WHERE I WANT TO!"

Which then...caused me to snap on a large DareDevil lure w/Treble hook. Then go snagging for "elf-Salmon". He moved down stream, shorty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

"I know there was a recording of their deaths cause they played it over and over in Anchorage, but does anybody know if there is a video recording of the incident? kyray"

Kyray,the camcorder was running at the time of the attack but the lense cover was still on.Good audio,no video.Too bad, it would have played well on America's Funniest Vid......well never mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

WEEP? I'm with NONYA, I thought it was funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. You know the old saying, "fool with a bull, you'll get the horn" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. I have bees, I like them, do I get into their hives with no protection? No way, it only takes once and you are in deep trouble. So, really, what makes me wear protection? Good old fashioned fear and common sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Both those qualities seem to be lacking these days. Those two "bear huggers" must have been lacking both, I don't miss 'em a bit. There are a few million more who ought to go up there and take their place soon. I will help pay for their one-way air fare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to comment on what all you guys are saying! It sure is nice to see other people think just like I do.

Back