What calls to get???

MYounger

Hi i just got into coyote hunting and am wonderin whether its better to have an e-caller or hand calls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

any advice on calls to get will be apreciated
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Thanks

Matt

Start with hand calls and build yourself a caller using a walkman tape , cd, or MP3 player. Learn the basics , set up scouting , stand selection. Call in a few, kill a few. Then after a while if you think this is something you enjoy and plan on sticking with and doing for a long while then fork out the dough for the E-caller of your choice. Many people worry about how they sound . Just sound hurt and dying . I have heard several people call with all kinds of mouth calls and it just doesn't matter. location, stand selection, set up , and scouting is way more important than what call you are using.

I could not have said it better myself Crapshoot. The best thing a new caller can learn is setup and scouting. You get near them they will come when called . Jimmie

MYounger,

You can build your own e-caller from instructions listed here in PM very cheaply. That will get you started on the e-caller route.

Hand calls on the other hand give you several benefits I believe. The batteries don't run down. They are far easier to carry. You can't repeat exactly the same sound twice, thereby sounding more realistic. Personally, I find it more satisfying to call an animal with a hand call.

Regardless of which path you take, do a search on PM and locate some of the threads with links to sound files like this one for Howling. Howling Thread This will give you an idea of what your trying to sound like. If your using a distress call like a cottontail for instance, make it sound like it is being attacked and dying, for a coyote distress, make it sound like you stepped on your dogs foot.

I hope this will help get you going and good luck. Hunting coyotes is extremely exciting and fun and doggone addicting.

DOD

Back