220 swift vs 204 ruger

If you are going to keep the fur then 204, and plan on reloading the 35 bergers are very fur friendly at least on coyotes foxes are pretty soft. If not, whatever floats your boat.

I really don't know that much about the 204 except that it is a really quick shooter.You have to look at the application's you are using it for.I think anything 300 and in it preforms fantastic but you get out past that the swift should work better with a heavier bullet.It doesn't matter about speed because the swift is as fast if not faster than the 204 if you actually want to know I found the fster you try to load a swift the better it works but unless you are going to hand load you might want to factor in the cost of shells between the two.

I shot the 204 for about a year and it was nasty on fox. I went back to shooting Swifts and 223's. For fox the 223 would be better than the other two.

Would like to welcome the new guys.

The WSSM and Swift are about the same. The Swift is better in my opinion, I own them both. Swift has better accuracy in the long run. You can do alot more things with the Swift because of its boltface size than a WSSM.

What ever the .204 will do the Swift can do better. If you want speed try 35 or 40gr'ers in a Swift. Heavy bullets are where the big .224's are king. 55 gr's rule.

I have to agree with Steve "Heavy bullets are where the big .224's are king." Unfortunately the factory Swift barrels can't shoot them. They just have too little twist to shoot much above the 55gr bullets. At longer ranges BC rules and none of the 55gr bullets even come close to the 69gr bullets which many factory 223 barrels can shoot. Many of the ARs can even shoot the 80VLDs, a very good 1000 yard bullet. Plug the numbers into a ballistics program and out at 500 yards the 223 is better than the 22-250.
This is about factory barrels, with a custom barrel the 22-250 is much better.

Jack

Jack,
Please correct me if I am wrong. When I punch in the numbers using Hornady published F.P.S. and V Max ammo. With the Swift shooting 55’s and a fast twist .223 shooting 75’s with a BC of .435 on the 75 gr. here is what I see at 500 yards, zero 200, wind at 10 mph / 90 degree. Basically, I see a large difference in drop(difference of 16” Swift much better) and less difference in drift (8” fast twist .223 shooting 75’s better).
Swift / Drop -33.9” / Drift 90 degree 10 mph = 29.5”
.223 F.T. / Drop - -49.3” / Drift 90 degree 10 mph = 21.89”

I can see the advantage of the F.T. 223 at bench long distance if there is a 10mph / 90 degree wind present. Where with sighters shots one can “dial up” for the difference in drop and then just be concerned with drift which is less. If there is much wind that day.

But, isn’t that (sighters, dialing up, adjusting) more a luxury of bench shooting rather than hunting ? I think there is a reason varmint hunters as a whole prefer flat shooting first. And a reason bench shooters prefer less drift first. It’s also hard to find a fast twist .223 bolt or single shot. I think most are 1-12 aren’t they ? I would guess that 90% of the varmint hunters use bolts or single shots for accuracy and the fact that varmints don’t shoot back, unlike home defense, combat or real world tactical concerns.

Also I would guess that for predators, which are on the move nearly always. Dial up is used very little. Hold over would be used more and less drop would be better. For varmints PD’s and Woodchucks maybe 50 % or less dial up I am guessing ? The rest use hold over, different ballistic compensating reticles and rifles that are flat to 300 from the start. To gain that 400 – 600 yard accuracy edge dialing up on varmints takes an investment. Offset rings to allow for greater elevation adjustments, greater time to adjust while the varmint holds in one area, no sighter shots to adjust from really unless you have a spotter maybe, time spent knowing and charting what your clicks are really, and a very accurate in terms of windage and elevation adjustment high dollar scope that gets it right the first time with out sighters. And then that’s if there is much wind for an advantage. As there would be less total adjustments even if dialing up with a flat shooting .204, 22-250, Swift or .243 than the F.T. .223 with little or no wind.

I realize it can surely be more accurate at long range varmint hunting if there is wind, one has the time, and one has the accurate gear calculated. I was just wondering if it is really more useful at long range bench shooting than varmint hunting in real life ? Seems to me it would be.

BTW - Not picking on the fast twist .223 bolt. As I would like one and consider it one of my personal favorite varmint calibers along with the .204, Swift, 22-250 and .243 . I just lean toward the flatter shooting for long distance hunting rather than long distance bench. Could be wrong, always looking to learn
Hope to pick up a fast twist .223 one of these days. I just did not think of it as a advantage for varmint/predator hunting. I looked at the advandage as more for long distance bench. And looked at them as really made more for combat & tacticle where they want more energy at the target(larger and heavier human target) with heavier grains, at about 200 yards and in, with fast follow up. Along with a few bench guns.

Last edited:
Most fast twist 223 shoots light bullets well also. I have a Savage M12FVSS 1 in 9 that groups WWB 45gr. in 3/8" pretty easily when I do my part. The thinking on the fast twist is they will shoot up to a certain gr. really well, mine is supposed to shoot up to a 70 or 75 gr. and the 223 doesn't have enough velocity to vaporize the light bullets. A 22-250 or similar rd. with a fast twist will make light bullets come apart if driven too fast so its hard to find one in under a 1 in 12 twist. Centrifugal force is supposed to be the culprit, of course high velocity makes them spin faster. This is not my experience, just what I have learned from various articles and websites. I am going to get a 224TTH(I think 7x57 parent case) barrel (switch barrel capablities in Savage) and allready have the parts for my bolt.(different case head) to use for my coyote hunting. Will be at least a 1 in 8 to use the heavyweights. If I want to shoot lightweights I'll switch back to my 223. If you are picking nits the slower twist might group a little tighter with lighter bullets but according to my Savage maybe not. If you order a custom barrel the maker will ask you what wt. bullet you will use and will sell you one that should be ideal for that bullet and round.

Edited and reworded to maybe make more sense hopefully.

Last edited:
bill1227,

I guess it all comes down to which is harder for you to do. With the laser range finders I find I can estimate holdover much more accurately than wind drift, so for me the less wind drift is more important.

Jack

BCB,

Without getting into a big flame on this thread I will try too explain.

The question posed was a very simple one,he wanted to know what rifle would be better for coyote/fox the 220 swift or the 204 ruger.

No one asked what type of hunting he was doing,calling/stalking/long range/short range/saving pelts/etc.

They are two different guns with different applications.But alot of people don't see that.For a long range gun with heavier bullets the swift has the advantage no question,but for most calling situations that I encounter(50-350 yards) I believe the .204 can hold it's own with the swifts,and .22-250's.I hear anything a .204 can do a 220 swift can do better,and it cracks me up.Because of all the coyotes i've shot this season with the .204 I can GUARANTEE you that the swift wouldn't have killed the coyotes any deader than my .204 did. LOL

And I do understand alittle about the capibilities of the swift and .22-250 sized rifles,I have shot a .22-250 for coyotes for the last 20 years.But I have found the .204 to be my gun of choice now for called coyotes.

To answer your original question,I think it's because alot of people discount the effectiveness of the .204 without even giving it an HONEST try.This is only my opinion.Good Hunting Chad

Back