Operating A Primos Ki-Yi - I don't get it...

BoHunter

Okay - Being the victim of marketing propaganda - my first call purchases were all commercial mass production calls. I've gotten a handle on the Lil Dog, and the Hot Dog, although, they are leaving a bit to be desired - I have a howler from Brad H and a howler/distress call from Timbertoes on the way....

There was a post a while back about Ki-Yi calls an many people recommended the Primos, and frankly, I don't get it - I'm hoping some instructions might help. I can get great Ki-yi's from the Hot Dog, but I'll be damned if I can get one "yip" off on the Ki-Yi and it starts locking up on me....

Can someone tell me how they use this thing? Do you use it as a closed reed call? I can't get anything close to a Ki-Yi with the mouth piece on. The only time I get anything that resembles a Ki-Yi is with the mouthpiece off, working the reeds with my teeth. My lips are too fat to run the reed with out squeaking and locking up on me.

If you guys have recordings of YOURSELVES doing Ki-Yi's on a Primos Ki-Yi, I'd like to hear it. Also, any step by step instructions would be appreciated.... I for the life of me can't get this call to work properly....

Thanks,
Bo

The Ki Yi is a dual call. With the oring slid into the notch and the cover on it is a distress call. then with the cover/mouthpiece off and the oring slid forward it is a pup distress. Of course most calls get better with a little break in while at the same time you get used to it. It works best for me with very little lip pressure on the reed and short burst of air varying a short drawn out yip.

Bo

When I use mine, I slide the band all the way in, turn the call at about a 45 degree angle, and slide the call outward(back of reed toward tip) across my lips while blowing it. you will just have to keep trying different amounts of pressure and speeds till you get the pitch you want.

The aboe pinned thred....... Instructions on howling has a good sound file of the KIYI. Check it out

Good luck,,,,, Bob

Last edited:
Bo
The Ki-Yi is my second favorite call and I'm not sure why.
I find it somewhat easy to do the Ki-Yi on this call. Not sure if this will help but instead of using my lips I use my teeth lightly and put pressure about halfway on the reed while saying twit over and over. Like I say I'm not sure if this info will help but I would not give up on this call. Ki-Yi after the shot and you'll be suprised at how many times a second or third dog will show up. Also use it as a closed reed and use the distress. Dont give up because there is no satisfaction in quitting. Practice then go out and be satisfied calling Yote after Yote!

Good Luck!

Back