Cougar shot in Pennsylvania !

Cougardaville

John Gallant shot the female cougar Oct. 28, 1967. He was out squirrel hunting when two cougars were hiding in the brush. He shot at the larger 200 pound, eight foot long cat that was not found. This is the 48 pound female that he did shoot as it tried to climb a tree. Not only did John prove mountain lions exist in Pennsylvania, I believe he "escaped danger that day"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Holding the cat with him is Don Helmbreck.
http://www.Trackincats.com

[
DCAM0048.jpg

Last edited:
If that is indeed a 48 lbs cat, then I suspect the larger cat that got away was its mother, not a 200 lbs tom. An average adult female lion weighs around 100 lbs and the average tom weighs about 150 lbs, a cougar weighing only 48 lbs would no doubt be a kitten.

The Ravenna area looks like a good place to go squirrel hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Some were spotting a cougar here a few years ago, but it was suppose to be a tame one that got loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

This cougar was of much talk at the time, it was written about in the " Pennsylvania Game News" The article " On the Trail Of the Pennsylvania Cougar" written by, Helen McGinnis.

DCAM0072.jpg

Look at the pictures and article above, this is the same picture, IS THERE SOMETHING MISSING? or is it my eyes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

DCAM0046.jpg

The second photo is either a cropped down copy of the one in the book, or it is a second exposure shot at the same time without the second guy in the picture. I can't be sure since the detail is so small and unclear on the web photo of the book page, but I'd guess it is a cropped print from the same negative used for the photo in the book. It is cropped on top to show less of the tree limbs, and cropped just past the front paw of the cougar to leave out the warden. Very normal either way.

Added later: I scrambled which photo was which but you get the drift. It would be interesting to know why the warden is left out of the book.

Last edited:
I bet if it was cropped like those LH Oswald pictures of a few years before, to eliminate concrete proof that the Pennsylvania Game Commission was surreptitiously involved in a secret Nittany lion recolonization plan!

LionHo

(PS -I also wonder where the nearest game farm or roadside zoo was in those days?)

Looking at the picture and what parts of the lion are "where" reveals that something is extending the right front cougar's paw to one side. Just like where the game warden is holding it in the unaldulterated pic.

I would say cropped..........

One could suppose that the Author wanted a smiling game warden "out the picture"! The Cougar lovers would not smile!

Three 44s

Last edited:
looks more like state trooper than a game warden.
i wonder how all the pa mt. lion freaks missed this one. lol if you ask them they are behind every tree here. lol

DCAM0033.jpg

Two Pennsylvania Game Wardens organized and conducted a special Sunday Mountain Lion Hunt on October 29, 1967. Officers and Game wardens signed up 45 local hunters to go after the larger cougar, in the 10 acre woods. They asked hunters to bring dogs, and these guys brought 16 dogs that included poodles, beagles, German shepherds, coon dogs, bird dogs, Labrador retrievers and mixed breeds. A large cougar was chased across Jerico Road but no one got a shot. Did the larger one run off and die? Till this day, no one knows what happened to the larger cougar John Gallant shot with both barrels at close range on Saturday morning. This is the smaller one that he did shoot!

Has anyone else here seen a cougar in pa. My dad and I spotted one near his house a couple of years ago. And the one town that is near my house is named panther because there were a decent number of them there at one point in time.

Hmmmmmm ......

Ground hog day tomorrow.

Cougs are opportunists. 'Ole Phill better watch out, the shadow he might see might EAT HIM!!

It seems odd that the game commission would "know all" and those 164 sightings in the bound book are boggus.

Kind of boggles the mind!!

Three 44s

tame one that got loose. that's what they say here in MI every time there is a sighting. seems an awful lot of people have pet cougars!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifMaybe that is a new thread I should start,

"Do you have a mountain lion for a pet?" and did it get loose?

Serious, I would love to know how many people have these. Talked to an exotic expert, that says it is the worst pet to try to have EVER! Tigers are better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:

"Do you have a mountain lion for a pet?" and did it get loose?

............ an exotic expert says it is the worst pet to try to have EVER! Tigers are better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

OH, NOW THAT'S REAL COMFORTING!!!!!!!!!

Three 44s

Back