.247 caliber ever heard of it?

steve223

I work with a guy that well how shall I put this. He has the all to often tendency to stretch the truth for no apparent rhyme or reason. He was telling me and my buddies the other day that his main deer rifle was a remington bolt action in .247 caliber. Now I don't claim to be a expert on firearm calibers past or present, but I have been around guns for quite some time now, and have never heard of this caliber before. My buddies are all avid hunters, and shooters. They too had never heard of this caliber before either. I have scoured over every firearm book I have, and have found no mention to it whatsoever. I searched the web and still no luck. My question is does this caliber exist or not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My guess is that was a .257 and he has tempora ignoramus dyslexia.

But then it could be a .243 with lots of wear on the three! Wonder were he gets the new calibers' shells AND how they come out the barrel?

Of course it could be a wildcatter's personal pet too.

It would probably be impossible for a mear human to see his pride and joy.

Good luck with the search.

Best thoughts

imlvt

Well its funny you mention this because the whole thing started during a conversation about the .257 Weatherby Mag.
This is when he jumped in and told us about his .247 and which point, I asked if he was sure it wasn't a .243 and he insisted in was indeed a .247 and nothing other, while he looked at the rest of us as if we were completely stupid. I might mention that, this is the same guy that swears his 1990 S-10 blazer is outfitted with a set of 160mph Z-rated tires, (I don't think so) and insists that he just has to have them with all the power GM put into those big V6 engines back in 1990. I guess with that much power you might just get whipped up to around 160 without ever in realizing it in a snow storm, so the tires must be a neccessity. But what do I know, maybe the .247 exists in far away corners of the globe that nobody talks about. I still need more feedback from the experts out there.

Your co-worker must be refering to the 247 Remchestby Super Express!
It shoots flatter than road kill and kills elephants and tanks with ease while being fur friendly on predators.
Standard issue during the star wars program. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree with you guys, 243 Win or 257 Roberts/Weatherby.

BTW, I had a '92 S15 Jimmy w/ 4.3L "Enhanced" engine. It had 200 HP.

Regards,

JD338

Sounds like the guy that told me he killed a rattlesnake that had 27 buttons on it's tail, and no longer goes in the woods near my house because "there are anacondas down there." (In northeastern OK) No lie!! A 55+ year old man told me this! I was wondering what he was putting in his pipe.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...sounds like a prime target for a "put-up or shut-up" challenge!!!!

Over the years, I've heard the wind blow, too. Almost every time, the person with the unbelieveable story has an excuse, or, as I call it, an "escape hatch" so that they won't have to prove their statement.

Such as:

The guy with the shotgun that shoots like a rifle, but he never has the time to show up at a local turkey shoot. "Well, it just wouldn't be fair to the other guys, what with the way my shotgun shoots. Besides, I have to take my wife to the beauty shop."...or some such lame excuse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

How about the guy who kills a bigger buck than you or any of your friends, yet no one ever sees the antlers. "Well, you know you can't eat them horns, so I just threw them away!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Or the guy that has a rifle that will put every shot into the same hole, but you never see this marvel of a gun at the local range. "Well, I don't have any ammo for it, right now. But, it will sure do it!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Anyhow, you know the type of person I'm talking about. It sounds like your friend is one of those.

An old saying comes to mind at times like this:

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

JD, you ought to be in Marketing for a firearms company. That is a pretty impressive round you have described there! LOL!!

I would like to buy all of the .247 factory rounds this guy has for that rifle. Have him bring you up one.

Good liars would choose something more plausable to lie about. He may be a fun guy but overdid it with this tale. Most of the firearms community is pretty knowledgeable.

Still it could just be a misplaced numeral: 243 247 257????

Give him the benefit of the doubt and ask for some evidence.

Jack

Sounds like an Okie, we know a little about everything but not very much about anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like a guy that lives beside some property I bought. He got to talking about all of the wildlife the DNR had released in the past. Of course there was the coyotes, wolves, rattlesnakes, and mountain lions. Plausible right? That's what I thought, and then he mentions the biggie, Hyena's (?), he says the gov wanted to see if they could survive the winters. Guess what, they did. Course after that episode, I no longer believe a thing he says, but I get a good laugh whenever I tell the story. There are liars and then there's this guy.

I would say who ever built the rifle stamped the neck size on the barrel and he mistaken this for the cal. Redding make a neck size bushing in the .247 size. Just my reasoning for him stateing what he read on the barrel as the cal . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Redding Steel Neck Sizer Bushing 247 Diameter

This just in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. One of my pals just couldn't take it any longer so we decided to interrogate the suspect on his alleged .247 rocket launcher. First he asked him "where did you get the rifle from?" his response, "It belonged to my great grandpa." My pal then asked "would it be possible to see one of the cartridges sometime?" Which he responded with "well that might be hard to do seeing how their at my Mothers house in Florida." Next question was, "Where do you buy ammo for it?" my pal said. Suspect "I buy them at Wal-Mart or Dicks sporting goods all the time." Then I had to jump in and ask him myself "Does it say 247 Weatherby on the box?" and his response, although funny to me was the following "what else would it say?" I am convinced at this point that the whole .247 is nothing but a lie. Unless he traveled into the future bought it, and brought it back with him. But then only the part about his great grandpappy would be a lie, and that gentlemen is just not his style. Like they say on the Mythbusters show, "This myth is busted." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
SRS1

The 247 Remchestby Super Express is excellent for hunting
Ohio Hyena's too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

JD338

steve223,

funny, I was just thinking that he could be refering to the 240 Wby when I read your post.

Have a good one.

Regards,

JD338

You almost have to admire a guy who won't give it up when he most certainly knows he's busted. I love the 'at my Mom's house" excuse. Doesn't everyone keep their ammo there? He may not be the picture of honesty, but ya gotta love his tenacity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back